Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 08-30-2016, 10:11 PM
Banned

Default Standard Trapper Courses - Westlock Every 2 Months

Found this little tidbit on the ATA site today.

Upcoming Courses

Westlock Courses

The Alberta Trappers' Association will be offering the Standard Trapping Course in Westlock every second month beginning November 2016. The courses will run Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Call 780-349-6626 for more information or to register.

http://www.albertatrappers.com/trapper-courses.html
Old 08-31-2016, 12:21 PM
Banned

I'm wondering if this thread shouldn't be a sticky at the top. What do you think Admin?
Old 09-03-2016, 01:04 AM
Banned

I wish it was a bit less expensive than $400, and a little closer than a 6-7 hr drive away...

Old 09-03-2016, 03:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
I wish it was a bit less expensive than $400, and a little closer than a 6-7 hr drive away...

The ATA offers courses throughout the province to meet demands and have/do conduct numerous courses down your way. I see this as a VERY small positive step forward but there are better alternatives IMO.

In Ontario the associations are in the business of qualifying instructors to distribute throughout the province who can train new trappers so the Standard Trapping course is easily accessible anywhere there's an instructor. It's a similar system to what we have with the hunter safety and PAL courses which you can attend almost anywhere. Their course is 40 hours long but only costs about $250. Instructors are free to conduct the training for as little as one student if that's what they chose to do. Hell, I suppose a fella could attend the course in exchange for a spare rifle if that's what's agreed upon. I recently watched a video from a fella that took the training at a trapper's cabin on an actual trap line, it was very interesting. I think that I saw it on an Ontario Trapping Association website as a means to promote their Trapper training.

The only downside to a system like that is that it would mean lost revenue for the ATA, ATA instructors and the owners of privately owned trapping training facilities......it's a monopoly.

I tried bringing something similar forward wrt to lowering the cost of the course to make it more accessible to people that actually need the income from trapping and Gordy and a couple of instructors went absolutely ballistic on me. Try bringing an idea like that forward and let me know how you make out. I would be the first person to back you on it though......guaranteed!
Old 09-03-2016, 07:59 AM
Banned

For the life of me, I can't imagine why THOSE individuals would go ballistic.....DUH...
Old 09-03-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
For the life of me, I can't imagine why THOSE individuals would go ballistic.....DUH...
I'm guessing anyone can get certified and set up their own school and/or facility and do it for free all they want.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:55 PM
Banned

Here's the video that I mentioned wrt the ON trapper's training program. This particular course was conducted on an actual trapline over the course of two weekends. Look at all of the different species that the students got to trap and put up! I think that it is absolutely brilliant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz1DsuEbWxI