Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Huntar

Default Bears Bears Bears

I am thinking about going up to Gp on wensday for the rest of the week hunting my first bear. Do you think the weather has been warm enough to grow some fresh grass. Sure hope so has any one eles had any luck this year so far. Great board guys first message
Old 05-05-2007, 06:21 PM
RockyMtnx

Where are planning on heading?
Lots of areas wont have grass for awhile.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Huntar

I was thinking south of grande pairie I did some survey work there 2 years ago and saw alot of Bears but just not sure the conditions this year. But the time is book off and i hope the will be some blood on the ground.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:07 AM
ex811

There are no bears south of GP at all, they especially won't be there around the long weekend in May. I'll be there...and I won't be hunten bears either.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:40 PM
RockyMtnx

I have been hunting bears south of GP the past 5 years and always had the best luck The last 2 weeks of May.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:19 PM
Huntar

Thanks rocky is wish i had time later in the month but i hope some will be out. ex811 do you not like bear hunters or what. I know there is bears south of GP was just not sure when. Maybe one will find out camping lol have a good time camping but it is always better with a gun.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:49 PM
mountainman elkaholic

i was up between foxcreek and whitecourt last weekend six of us out for 4 days and only saw 1 bear
Old 05-10-2007, 01:39 AM
ex811

Huntar, I just can't stand those bear hunters...and there are definetly no bears South of GP, especially West of Hwy 40, and especially 21-25 May. If you are up there at that time and see an old fart driving the roads in a blue 06 Dodge truck with a Veterans plate it won't be me hunting...cause like I said , no bears up there.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:06 PM
bearbait

there still sleepin....ive seen 5 bears in two weeks compard to 30 i usualy see on an outing...last week of may for whitecourt foxcreek area...
rob
Old 05-10-2007, 01:39 PM
packhuntr

I was out from the 3 to the 9 of May, between Fox and Hinton. A 7 day hunt, was stripped to a 2 day hunt due to inclement weather. Saw one bear, i est him at between 5.5 and 6 feet, {nose to tail}, no shot opp. Green sure was poking up, but wished i had bumped the hunt to the 3rd week.
keep a strain on er.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:45 AM
DJ

The bears are out and about now. My baits are getting hit real good in the last 4 days. Its later than normal mind you but they're out now! Will be in a treestand by Mon night!
Old 05-11-2007, 02:12 PM
RockyMtnx

DJ where are you refering to???
I still think its slow in the in Little Smokey region.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:24 PM
DJ

I'm in the Athabasca region. Not that far away.