Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-14-2007, 02:31 PM
lordfrosty

Default HUNTING QUADS ADVICE

I'm looking for some advice on buying a new quad. I want to hear what you all think is the best quad and why the others are not. You know, the pros/cons, any good/horror stories would be extremely helpful in helping me make my decision.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Chung

Anybody try the Polaris Hawkeye?
Old 05-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Elnino54

Have a look at Suzuki's New King Quad 450..........independent rear suspension and its fuel injected.......
Old 05-14-2007, 04:07 PM
Jamie Hunt

Frosty, if your looking for a inexpensive but highly reliable quad. Check out The Yamaha Big Bear. No toys and whistles but it starts every time and works like a dream, plenty of power, steel racks and the big boys cant lose me on the trails. Roads are a different story.:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
We paid under $7,000 brand spanking new.

Jamie
Old 05-14-2007, 04:09 PM
lordfrosty

I was thinking more along of the line of the 700's or 800's. For the few extra dollars I might as well get the extra power. What do you think of the Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI or the Arctic Cat 700 EFI LE.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:23 PM
Ice Fishing Maniac

I personally say you dont need a quad bigger than a 450. Yamaha and Honda quads are my first choice. I have a Honda 450ES since 1999 and its pulled its share of moose and elk-no problems. The rest of the guys in my camp all run Yamaha-dealer is one of the guys- if he was in business when I bought my Honda, I would of bought from him-but he does do all my services and repair work-best mechanic in town.

Next thing for brand of quad is DEALER SERVICE where-ever you are. If they treat you good, have good service, good references / reputation from others, thats where I would buy from. I like to buy local but I dont mind a bit of travel for service if it comes to it. I personally wouldnt buy a new quad in Calgary thinking you save $$$$ some bucks if I was from northern Alberta.

At the HV Poker rally this weekend-there was every brand and size of quad. 600-700+ at the rally. Quads/Rinos/Rangers, etc. You still get stuck and break things. Doesnt matter brand.

First investment would be get rid of the stock tires and get something like the Maxxis Mud Bugs, MudLites or the new Swamp Lites.

Good luck in your choice.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:26 PM
Ice Fishing Maniac

I dont care for the Polaris quads-they make good snowmobiles and thats it. Yamaha 700 Grizzly with powersteering, or check out the new Can-Am 800 twin. Big power is nice, but for a hunting quad, you do not need it. Anyhow, good luck again.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:37 PM
Jamie Hunt

Big power is for ripping and racing.
Remember some of these bigger ones have a issue getting into backs of trucks.
But remember we only use ours for hunting and a tiny bit for messing around on. For the vast majority of the year it sits chained up in the garage.

Good luck
Jamie
Old 05-14-2007, 04:43 PM
nube

Don't even think of Polaris. Maybe for a skidoo but not a quad. Yamaha or Honda. I wouldn't get anything over a 450 as well unless you haul heavy trailers everywhere. Make sure you get a winch as well.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:54 PM
sheep hunter

The other thing to consider is cruising range. Bigger power means more fuel consumption and often more limited range on a tank of fuel. If you do go for big power make certain the machine has a big fuel tank.

My Big Bear definitely does everything I need for hunting. When I want to go fast I just take my VFR for a spin on the highway...lol

I don't think I'd go smaller than a 400 if you'll be hauling a trailer and gear.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:30 PM
Grizz Pizz

kawasaki 750 brute force all the way.. Independant rear end.. Huge power band... Great ground clearance.. Cant be beaten by another machine..!
Old 05-14-2007, 09:47 PM
prairieboy

I would not own a polaris quad for a few reasons.Firstly,the twins have no back up recoil start in case of a dead battery.Secondly they are extremely heavy,which is a big disadvantage in muskeg.Thirdly,it always seems that the quad that we are pulling back home is a polaris.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:17 PM
Mackaylake

If you buy a Yamaha grizzly, you will be sorry!!!!! Spending all your time pulling other quads out.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:36 PM
Barbwire

:hat :hat Buy a honda:hat :hat You wont be sorry

Barbwire
Old 05-14-2007, 11:16 PM
Brady

No complaints with my '04 grizz. It has hauled out quite a few elk, and a couple moose to date. Ya it is big, like Sheephunter eluded to, but I have gotten over a 100 km's to a tank a fuel a few times, 20 liter tank, but it has gotten me back every time.......so far. 3500 km's and still going like it was new.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:24 AM
FiveO

Honda 500S or the 500 Rubicon get my vote. Both reliable machines with good low end grunt, no belts, all gears. If your looking for a hunting/work machine go Honda. If you want to go 43567 miles an hour get a Bigbore. King Qauds are the best value for the dollar in the 700 class.

Biggest thing to consider is do you want to twist a wrench ?. If no go Honda.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:50 AM
SRP71

Yup,honda 500 foreman here too.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:56 AM
Tucumseh

Honda all the way!
Old 05-15-2007, 12:27 PM
steveo955

you should have taken mine for a rip when you were over last time. king quad 700 is the way to go. stock tires are garbage, i have 26" perelli's
Old 05-15-2007, 01:44 PM
BrownBear416

Default Quad's.

Buy a Honda if you want reliability,buy those other quad's if you like walking.:lol
Old 05-15-2007, 03:03 PM
WTHunter

I agree with all the commnets that you don't need a big power quad for hunting. I love my Honda 300, 1997. It has never quit on me, and has a lot of tugging power when necessary. I am not sure what the Honda's are like now- I've heard mixed reviews. (about their Outborads also). The other thing I like about my smaller Honda, is that I can move it more easily when I get it stuck. It seems enevitable that when I am Moose or Bear hunting by myself, I always mange to find a bog, that I can't easily get out of, and there are few trees to winch to! If I had to lift or shove a 600 or 700 I'd never do it! I like small- and am willing to give up the power for the less weight and gas mileage. I would recommend an upgrade of tires no matter what you get. I love my mud bugs! My buddies drive mud-lites! Tires make a lot of difference on a hunting quad. Those are my thoughts for what they are worth! Good luck.!
Old 05-15-2007, 07:21 PM
geezer55

Only owned Hondas, a 2001 350 Rancher and a 1997 400 Foreman, and they just keep running and running. Parked them outside in November, just covered them with nylon quad covers and lifted them off the ground, went out today, checked the oil, turned on the gas and they fired right off. All I had to do was check the tire pressures and they are ready for this weekend. Sometimes I'd like a bigger more powerful quad but I wouldn't be able to fit two on the back of my truck unless I changed the design of my deck. Also these sizes of quad are quite nimble and great for driving in tight areas. If I was able to purchase newer quads I'd stay with Hondas.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:18 AM
bulldog

I have an 05 660 Grizzly, wouldn't trade it for anything. Just in the process of snorkeling the clutch housing and air intake. It will hopefully be unstoppable after that.It's very nice to have the extra power if you need it. I think bigger is better.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Anglinfool

Default Yammy or Honda

If it's strictly a hunting quad, go for a Honda 350 or a Yamaha Kodiak 400. Both can be had cheaply and are bullet proof. If you want a few more bells and whistles, a Kodiak 450 or a Grizzly 660/700 would be more then enough. Newer Honda's seem to be getting mixed reviews....

Tires are a big factor. They will make all the difference. Good luck!
Old 05-16-2007, 03:09 PM
ssrupp

Default Re: Yammy or Honda

HMMM may I add my .02...as has been said repeatadly get a honda..I just got a 2007 Rubicon CANADIAN TRAILS EDITION IN CAMO...with adjustable suspension..YES ADJUSTABLE..in 500 cc after having my last Honda since 1995.w/o ANY problems....

i32.photobucket.com/album...2007-3.jpg][img]i32.photobucket.com/album...3.jpg[/IMG][/url]
i32.photobucket.com/album...2007-2.jpg][img]i32.photobucket.com/album...2.jpg[/IMG][/url]
i32.photobucket.com/album...2007-1.jpg][img]i32.photobucket.com/album...1.jpg[/IMG][/url]

steven Rupp