Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-15-2007, 12:30 PM
shotgun

Default Optimistic...

I am going bear hunting up by Slave lake this weekend. A forward party is setting up several baits today. I am positive that I will get a bear (before it gets me). I understand and have seen the skinning of a bear before....what I need a bit of an explanation on is the splitting of the the lips and I guess you have to split the eyelids as well...right? wrong?.

Also other tips on hide prep and storage are helpful as well.

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:34 PM
sheep hunter

If you can freeze the hide right away then do that and there is no need to split anything or to salt the hide. If you can't feeze it right away, you'll need to split the lips, turn the ears and eyes and skin out the feet and then give the entire hide a good salting.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:40 PM
shotgun

Define "right away"...actually we are camping with no access to a freezer. Even if it was shot last day we are still 7 hours from my freezer. I am pretty sure that I will have to salt and everything else.

My guess on splitting lips is cutting from the inside of the lip all along the lips and kind a "butterflying" the lip open so that you can salt the inside of the lip. I could be off on that.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:40 PM
BrownBear416

Default Bear.

Shotgun,

I live in Slave Lake and it has been getting pretty chilly at nights here so i think if you salt it really good and keep it in a cool place you will be alright for a few days.

You could always get a cooler with blocks of ice or submerge the hide in a cold creek.

I would lend you the use of my Garage freezer but i will not be around this weekend

Did your buddy's just come through town yesterday because i think i saw them at the gas station,3 or 4 guys in a dodge,loaded down with bows,beer and dog food.

Good Luck on your hunt.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:41 PM
shotgun

Default Re: Bear.

They came through on Monday it would have only been two guys but I cannot speak to the Beer:rollin :rollin :rollin

I appreciate the info and the offer of the freezer...wonder if the gas station will let us put them in the with the ice cream...

I will be the one with the black f-350 with a biggest bear you have ever seen in the back.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:56 PM
aka bushmaster

Be sure to flesh it well before appling the salt so the salt is in contact with the skin, not a layer of fat.

And it sounds like you have the right idea about splitting the lips. Nothing to split around the eyes, be careful fleshing in this area.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:35 PM
shotgun

thanks. I have researched it a bit now and kinda get it. Won't know for sure until I have do it.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:39 PM
The Highlander

New tires - check

Oilchange - check

Looking for the man who shot your paw - priceless!:lol

Good luck shotgun. Sleep well with that loaded 12 g by yer pillow. It had better be a big bear or don't come back.:eek
Old 05-16-2007, 05:05 PM
shotgun

I have decided that I am going to shoot the first one and wrestle the second. I have done some research and I don't think they are that tough. I have been training to be a cage fighter and I think I can take a fair sized bear....the trick is to get real low and when they get close, stand up fast...when he stands up with you that is when you kick him in the junk as he goes down on all fours you get 'em in nose...ding ding round one goes to me.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:41 PM
The Highlander

Maybe your Russian neighbour can teach you a trick or two.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:17 PM
aka bushmaster

Don't let it go to the judges.....you know how that can go !!

I guided for bears for several years....all of our clients had never even seen a bear.....I told them, that when they hit the bear, arrow or bullet, they were going to see the fastest thing they had seen on 4 wheels....all commented that I was absolutely correct.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:16 AM
shotgun

yeah I can't back up that cage fighter thing...I just hope when if a bear turns on the jets it is not headed at me.