Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-28-2007, 07:41 PM
sheep hunter

Default Re: V. Geist

Got out to check out some new sheep country today. Did a 22km hike. Lots of snow as we got higher but still great to get out and check out some new basins. Legs are tired from breaking through the snow though!
Old 04-28-2007, 07:55 PM
Blakeinator2

Did ya see any sheep?
Old 04-28-2007, 08:28 PM
sheep hunter

No...never expected to...definitely not winter range. Just wanted to find a way into a hidden basin I'd heard a rumour about. I'll check it out again in September...with a tag in my pocket!
Old 04-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Duk Dog

Any signs of elk, deer, etc. on your hike today Sheep? How long did it take you to cover 22 kms? On something like your hike today do you carry a gun or bear spray with you?
Old 04-28-2007, 09:29 PM
sheep hunter

I think we were about 5.5-6 hours but that included some bushwacking and trail finding. Saw lots of moose and deer sign and yes I had bear spray but no bear tracks. We should have taken snowshoes, it would have made it an easier day.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:39 PM
Duk Dog

Default Scouting

Good on ya Sheep out there in April putting on the miles like that. It should be no surprise that you have had success in the past sheep hunting.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:25 AM
packhuntr

Default Re: Scouting

I got out on my last set of days off. 2 day trip. Drove out and checked some turf, but had to resort to maps and spotting scope. I had my preg wife with me. But did manage to get some drainages checked out that by my maps i think i can access some awesome stuff. Just hope no one else is onto this little chunk of realestate. Not sure if i will be able to get after the buggers this fall. But the seeds of success have been planted boys. Time will tell, waiting on the draw book, all rests within its golden pages. Ol mum is due in beg of Oct. Got some pretty high cal tags possibly coming. Def didnt plan this one right!!!!

keep a strain on er.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Dark Wing 01

Default J. O'conner book

Sheep Hunter it wasnt the O'conner book that was sighned, thought it was the Sheep and Sheep Hunting book, but it was the Horns in the High Country by Andy Russel that was signed. The Sheep an Sheep hunting book is over 40 years and has been read many times so is far from being pristine.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:21 PM
sheep hunter

Default Re: J. O'conner book

I've got a signed Horns in the High Country...think I paid about $40 for it.

Sheep and Sheep Hunting is a classic. No matter what condition it still has some collector's value.They range from about $80 to over $300 depending on the edition and condition.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Duk Dog

Default Re: NON RES Sheep

Sheep - On page 1 you mentioned your buddy due up with an 11. I checked with my dad and he is at a 9......so who knows it may get to happen in his and my lifetime! I'd love nothing more than to be there and watch my dad take a ram.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:32 PM
sheep hunter

Two 8s drew last year so you never know. It depends if the guys with higher priority 999 or not.

I got out yesterday is some of that south country that butts up against Waterton Park and saw three rams and a bunch of ewes. I haven't spent much time down there but after seeing it and hearing some stories about rams, I know I will get down there with a rifle in hand.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Duk Dog

Ya you never know how the people ahead of my dad will apply, but it is getting closer to being a reality.
So many great places in this province for a person to check out. I've never really been much further south than the Beaver Mines and Beauvais (sp?), mind you I guess I have crossed at Cardston a few times. If you ever end up with some good pics from your treks please post some of them for us!
Old 05-03-2007, 10:58 PM
Rackmastr

I'm going to hike down by Waterton on Saturday TJ.....maybe I'll bump into some rams while lookin for bears for my wife....
Old 05-03-2007, 11:07 PM
sheep hunter

Saw some grizz tracks down by Blind and Yarrow but no bears. Hope the weather clears up for you Trev.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:34 PM
Rackmastr

Me too man....not sure exactly where we'll go but its my wife's only day off with me for a while so we'll give it a pile of work and hope the sun comes out on the green grass....
Old 05-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Blakeinator2

"You might be talking about "Eric Marles Safari Bookshelf"
booknut@sk.sympatico.ca

I've bought a few tough to find books off of him, or there was a little old book store "Shaws books" Just off Broadway ave in Saskatoon that had a huge selection of wildlife/hunting books."

Tried to google him and my email attempt bounced back...anyone have other way to get ahold of him?.

I'm starting my book hunt. Baby is here and everyone doing well so getting a bit more time here and there...i should have more with the little sleep i'm getting but yall know how it goes already(i'm late to the party around here it seems ) Anyhow, next stop will be yellow pages to suss out some book shops i can pester in the near future.

And, swallow your coffee boys but i gotta ask.....anyone done with their sheep books and wanna sell em?

Sorry, i had to ask...you just never know if you don't right.:lol

Blake
Old 05-05-2007, 06:10 PM
buckshoot

sorry most of those old sympatico emails became sasktel.net

try booknut@sasktel.net
Old 05-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Blakeinator2

So far it hasn't come back...lookin good, thanks.

Found Nowicki's book in BC and ordered 4 or 5 from Eric. Thanks for the hook-up!

From phoning around used book shops i got put on www.abebooks.com also.

Having a hard time finding The Elusive Bighorn by Len Jeck though!

Blake
Old 05-06-2007, 05:51 PM
buckshoot

Amazon has several of the ones that have been mentioned, and ebay has some
Old 05-07-2007, 07:29 PM
Rackmastr

One of my favorite 'sheep' books would have to be "Great Rams" by Robert Anderson......easily the best book with a ton of photos of N.A. sheep.....I look through it once every few months....
Old 05-07-2007, 09:23 PM
340W

Yes , the "Great Rams" book is one of my favorites as well.

Lots of great photos and info.

340W
Old 05-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Blakeinator2

Lord tunderin...got 1/2 dozen books coming and on the look out for two more....make that 3 more thanks to you two!

I better slow down and save some money for some gear i guess.

Blake
Old 05-07-2007, 11:03 PM
Rackmastr

Hahah yep Blake...

All the books in the world are great to own, but none will do a thing for ya unless you get out and put some miles under your boots and get in the mountains.....

I'd lend you some...easier than spending your money if you really want to save some...

I do love collecting books though...heh
Old 05-09-2007, 08:54 AM
Simpatico Outdoors

Default Books

I just received a copy of Nowicki's book. Pretty good so far...great because of the Alberta sheep. I picked it up from Jim at Trophy Room Books (it's in California). He has all the book titles posted and a description of the contents along side. So if anyones on the hunt give that a go.

340W i am going to look into the "Great Rams" book. Thanks.

Simpatico
Old 05-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Blakeinator2

Default Re: Books

I love all the different aspects to this sheep hunting thing. The gear, the books, the physical conditioning, the scouting required...so much fun. But hopefully everyone is done talking about all the 'good' books to have.

Blake
Old 05-09-2007, 05:14 PM
340W

Default Re: Books

Hey Simpatico,

The picture of the rams heads that I was bidding on at the Willmore banquet is in the book "Great Rams" . Go figure and
I could have spent $800.00 + for something I already had !!

This book is a must for any sheep nut.

Hey Guy's you can add the "Quest for Dall Sheep" by Jack Wilson to your list. Has the story of Harry Swanks record
dall sheep included.

340W
Old 05-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Simpatico Outdoors

Default Ram Photos

340W, I bet i'll find a pic of my print in "People & Peaks". I guess i'm SOL... So look on the bright side your on the plus side. I'm sure if you explain the situation to your wife about the "savings you've generated":lol ! She will want you to rush out and get yourself a few necessities for the fall trips.

Simpatico
Old 05-10-2007, 06:19 PM
340W

Default Re: Ram Photos

Simpatico, That's O.K. it was for a good cause. As far as my
spare cash goes ... well lets just say I had a bad ebay attack
and leave it at that.

340W
Old 05-14-2007, 06:42 PM
Blakeinator2

booknut@sasktel.net Yup, thats his email. Eric Marles...awesome to deal with, highly recommend him folks. His pricing is excellent. Don't want to tell you how much i got the O'conner for after hearing the bad ebay story but if your interested he's got a first edition O'Conner (i chose the more economical memorial edition)...his pricing is super reasonable! You should email to find out if your interested. If your after books send him an email...i just sent my list and he replied quite quickly with which ones he had, their condition and how much he wanted and he knew what the shipping would be also. Can't deal much slicker than that.

Thanks for the tip on him!

I forgot to add, if he had any contacts that may have had other books on my list he was quick to give out their email addies also.

Blake
Old 05-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Blakeinator2

I need to add one last thing about Eric...he saw me struggling to find 'The Elusive Bighorn by Len Jeck' and then i missed one on that Trophyroom bookshop in California (was first one to come up searching all the book website links he gave me plus some email contacts to try also fyi)...so what does Eric do?????

He offers me his copy from his own collection! Its on the way right now. And for quite abit less than i would have had to fork out from the trophyroom place in California(their shipping will kill ya...33 bucks!).

Talk about a nice guy!!!!

If your lookin for books in great shape at great pricing...keep his email handy and send him notes from time to time!

Blake

Oh, one last thing...when i inquired about the Jeck book at the trophyroom place in California...they said it sold super fast so they really under-estimated its value....hmmmm. 50 bucks u.s. plus 33 shipping....and they under-estimated its value?....wonder what they'll ask the next time they have one?