Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-21-2016, 09:25 AM

Default Stolen icefishing shack

Its hard to believe some scum would actually steal this off the lake,my ice shack was stolen off Cold Lake at Garrnet beach sometime during the last 2 weeks in March last year.(2015)
The propane tank and heater was probably worth more than the shack.
If you happen to know where it is or the toilet log who took it please let me know. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (54.3 KB, 634 views)
Old 02-21-2016, 09:43 AM

Are you sure municipality did not remove it as it was very late in the year and they remove them so they don't get left and pollute the lake.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:04 AM
Banned

Damn, I'd be PO'd also. Pretty low to steal a mans shack.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:20 AM

You just realized you lost it today?
Old 02-21-2016, 11:27 AM

IMO shack shouldnt be allowed to be left on the Lake over a period of time anyways. There's should be a reg just like leaving a tree stand on a public land. I know I'm going to get bashed about this, but what do you guys think?
Old 02-21-2016, 11:33 AM

I think you should have to affix your win # other than that I don't see the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisg View Post
IMO shack shouldnt be allowed to be left on the Lake over a period of time anyways. There's should be a reg just like leaving a tree stand on a public land. I know I'm going to get bashed about this, but what do you guys think?
Old 02-21-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
I think you should have to affix your win # other than that I don't see the issue.
Great idea!
Old 02-21-2016, 11:39 AM

That's a pretty distinctive shack.
I don't imagine someone would try using it on cold lake again.
I'll keep an eye out in my neck of the woods.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
That's a pretty distinctive shack.
I don't imagine someone would try using it on cold lake again.
I'll keep an eye out in my neck of the woods.
Someone could always use it as an outhouse
Old 02-21-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
sometime during the last 2 weeks in March last year.(2015)
WOW man that’s harsh Good luck hope you find it.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:43 PM

If it's not there now, did you check the bottom of the lake? Bad joke, will keep an eye out over in central AB..
Old 02-21-2016, 03:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisg View Post
Personally I don't agree with this suggestion. I do think that contact info. or at least win# should be posted on the shack.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
Are you sure municipality did not remove it as it was very late in the year and they remove them so they don't get left and pollute the lake.
I've been fishing on Cold Lake for 27yrs and my ice shack has been there for several years now,I always remove it the last week or two before the season closes,never had any one breakin or damage it,there were only 3 shacks on the ice when it was taken and I'm sure F&W would have placed a note on it if they wanted to find out who the owner was.
I've noticed with all of the shacks left out there,I've have never seen any names or info attached to them.
I'm not concerned if I don't get it back, just wanted to let you guys know to beware and it could happen to anyone.
Im sure the guy will never use it for fishing but simply as a hunting blind or outhouse,lol
A thank you to the guys that will keep a look out for it.Happy fishing!
Old 02-22-2016, 09:34 AM

Is it possible you had a big wind storm and it blew over to the edge of the lake into the bushes??
I seen some get blown off a lake before when it was real windy.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Personally I don't agree with this suggestion. I do think that contact info. or at least win# should be posted on the shack.
It should be done the same way as SK, MB, ON... Why AB is so far behind I do not know...

Owners contact information(name, phone number etc) should have to be displayed and there should be fixed dates that they have to be removed by.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
It should be done the same way as SK, MB, ON... Why AB is so far behind I do not know...

Owners contact information(name, phone number etc) should have to be displayed and there should be fixed dates that they have to be removed by.
I like name and phone number as many anglers in this province do not require WIN cards.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
I like name and phone number as many anglers in this province do not require WIN cards.
Yeah or do like ON and require registration with a number that has to be visible like on a boat. That requires a lot more government work though and would probably bankrupt the province so name and number is the way to go imo...
Old 02-22-2016, 11:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by splakeman View Post
Its hard to believe some scum would actually steal this off the lake,my ice shack was stolen off Cold Lake at Garrnet beach sometime during the last 2 weeks in March last year.(2015)e let me know.
What's the last day to get your shacks off the ice up there? In ON they have a set date and if your shack is not off they will remove it for you.

WRT posting info on the outside of your shack. In ON they used to require you to purchase a registration number at the municipal office and the number had to be displayed on the outside of your shack. If there were any issues the number could be cross referenced at the municipal office and the owner contacted. There was a small cost but no personal info had to be displayed. I don't know what they do these days though.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:44 AM

Ontario last day is March 15 I believe. I agree a ph number and WIN number would be appropriate.
When I was in northern manitoba my neighbour was local undertaker and all the coffins were shipped up in larger plywood boxes which he gave to me and I made ice shacks out of the plywood. Cheap and if anyone stole it it would haunt them LOL
Old 02-22-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt45 View Post
Is it possible you had a big wind storm and it blew over to the edge of the lake into the bushes??
I seen some get blown off a lake before when it was real windy.
That's exactly what I thought at first,and we did have a windy night just before I went to get it,I virtually drove all around the lake thinking it would be along the shore some where but no luck. I could see a tent maybe blown in the bush but not this one,it was heavy enough.