Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-16-2012, 10:18 AM

Default Wildcat Reloading

I'm planning on getting into reloading, and I've been looking at the Lee line of products, but I went into the local gun store to see what they had available and the guy there was really pushing the RCBS stuff because it's much stronger and would allow me to create wildcat loads.

I've looked into it a little bit, and I don't think it really applies to what I want to do. I'm mostly interested in reloading for my .303 and my 300 win mag so I can afford to go shooting more often, probably some different calibers as my collection increases.

My question is, do I need a more "powerful" press for my (I'm assuming) basic needs, or is the guy just trying to upsell me into a more expensive system.

Also, from what I've read, wildcat loads seem to be a pretty advanced technique in reloading, I'm assuming adjusting the amount of powder in a load doesn't fall into this category?
Old 07-16-2012, 10:23 AM

Reloading is only cost effective in the long run. And if you want to experiment with different powders and ammo, it's expensive.

I bought the starter RCBS set and have stayed with all RCBS products, but I am starting to like the the design of the Hornady dies a little better especially for the 45/70.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang_on_sk View Post
I'm planning on getting into reloading, and I've been looking at the Lee line of products, but I went into the local gun store to see what they had available and the guy there was really pushing the RCBS stuff because it's much stronger and would allow me to create wildcat loads.

I've looked into it a little bit, and I don't think it really applies to what I want to do. I'm mostly interested in reloading for my .303 and my 300 win mag so I can afford to go shooting more often, probably some different calibers as my collection increases.

My question is, do I need a more "powerful" press for my (I'm assuming) basic needs, or is the guy just trying to upsell me into a more expensive system.

Also, from what I've read, wildcat loads seem to be a pretty advanced technique in reloading, I'm assuming adjusting the amount of powder in a load doesn't fall into this category?
The guy who told you the RCBS equipment is 'stronger' for wildcats is full of it and does not know what he is talking about.
i have had lee build four different wildcat dies for me, and the press I load them with can either be a rockchukcer, a lee, , lyman, or a C-H.
All are good for the job of resizing brass and forming barss.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 07-16-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:32 AM

I use a Lee Classic loader. Suits my purposes and only costs about $30 bucks. That with a couple of other tools I can make all I need to go to the range for a few hours and make myself some hunting rounds for the fall.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang_on_sk View Post

I find the Lee decapper much stronger than the RCBS, especially when decapping large amounts of crimped primers. I prefer Redding dies for everything else.
RCBS make good presses, Older Rockchucker is what I use, been through thousands of rounds.
Hardest part about reloading wildcats is making brass/fire forming. Not overly complex. Adjusting the powder with a thrower, for any/all loads, is simple, and one you'll get familiar with as you start loading.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:39 AM

The fact is that you can form many cases with pretty much any press. However, it is just as much of a fact that the better quality cast iron presses are stronger, and more rigid than the cheap aluminum presses. Regardless of brand name, I will choose a cast iron press over cast aluminum.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:45 PM

The thing about reloading, is that it opens doors to all types of guns, enabling you to become a gun nut. Whether or not you do enter that realm is up to you.
At this point you likely have not been exposed to some of the different disciplines, which will force you into reloading some of the different stuff.
I would at least recommend a Lee O frame press, and some better accessories.
That way you will have yourself set up for down the road.
Once you start reloading, you will never look at the shelves of a gunshop or a gun show quite the same way. Or one day you will read an article and decide that is something you'd like to do.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:11 PM

I have a small redding press.. i use it mostly for all the calibers but i do have the RCBS 50 bmg press wich is incredibly strong and i love it for the big and thick brass.

Btw wildcats are fun to play around. I only have 2 so far.

- 338-300 or whatever how you call it ( 300 win mag opened to accept a .338 )

and

- .338 Edge ( .300 ultra mag opened to accept a .338 )
Old 07-16-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decker View Post
Reloading is only cost effective in the long run. And if you want to experiment with different powders and ammo, it's expensive.
I dont know why you say that... the box of amo now cost extremely expensive... if you shoot quite often you will have your reloading equipement covered within a year easy...

Let me give you an exemple..

a simple box of 22-250 here.. cheapest we can find is around 29.99... it cost me around 8$ to load em... its an easy 20$ every 20 pills i shoot...

Now.. hunting bullets.. if i choose a box of federal for a 338 win mag with accubond bullet.. it cost me around 89.99 for 20... if i load em its around 30$

.338 lapua ???? 115$ for 20... cost me around 40$ to load em...

should i continue with really expensive amo.. like lazzeroni ... no you dont...

Reloading is the way to go.. its a hobby and it sure does save you tons of money fast.. if you shoot a lot...

Most peoples would love to shoot more often ... reloading is becoming extremely popular here in Quebec..
Old 07-16-2012, 03:43 PM

I understand that buying the components for reloading is roughly half the price. It's finding the most accurate combination for each individual caliber is more costly.