Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-08-2012, 09:21 PM

Default Best scope in $500-$600 range?

I will need a scope for my new (to me) savage 116fcss in .338 WM. Rifle has 30mm rings on it, but I guess I could always buy a set of 1" rings as well... any thoughts?
Old 07-08-2012, 09:25 PM

Check out the vortex brand
Old 07-08-2012, 09:32 PM

Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:46 PM

Millett, night force, leupold.... Depends what you like. Try a few out and see for yourself!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMarty911 View Post
Millett, night force, leupold.... Depends what you like. Try a few out and see for yourself!
Nightforce for 600 bucks?

Try the Conquest 3-9x40 for $439.00. I don't think you can beat that.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:05 PM

I myself really appreciate vortex scopes, i have two now and both are crystal clear with great reticles. I also have a Minox which i find are a fantastic scope. Best part of both of these brands is they have a no bull lifetime warranty. That means they'll replace it even if it has tire marks on it. If i were you i'd check them both out and see what you like but ultimately its a personal choice. I'd like to eventually buy a schmitt and Bender but thats years down the road for me.

hope that helps

Edit: I should also say i have the Minox on my .338 LM it's a fantastic scope, German glass . Zeiss is a great scope but i'm not sold on them.

Last edited by Mareshow; 07-09-2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: added edit part
Old 07-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Banned

weaver grand slam is worth looking at
Old 07-09-2012, 04:33 PM

Thank you guys for all the feedback! Sounds like I may have to have a good look at Zeiss and Vortex. Any opinions on bushnell elite scopes?
Old 07-09-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Diddy View Post
Thank you guys for all the feedback! Sounds like I may have to have a good look at Zeiss and Vortex. Any opinions on bushnell elite scopes?
Zeiss makes a good scope in that price range and I've had a couple, also had a couple of bushnell elite's and wouldn't buy another.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40.
X2
Old 07-12-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Diddy View Post
I like the Vortex diamondback on my .223 and my Viper, they seem very decent for the money I paid. I had a bushnell 3200 and it was excellent too. I would probably stick with vortex because of their warranty
Old 07-12-2012, 10:38 PM

Default scope

king optics has a great scope and the elites from bushnell are pretty good a well vortex i have one very good had a zeiss didn't like it my 2 cents lol but king optics is canada made and awesome warranty
Old 07-12-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
king optics is canada made
Are you sure that it isn't a Canadian company, selling a product imported from Asia?

Last edited by elkhunter11; 07-12-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:55 PM

Default here are my thoughts

I have a VX-II 3x9 x 40 on my 338 and it hasn't given me one bit of trouble. I love it but haven't been so happy with the wet weather issue so have gone to the 4200 Elite ... ask me in a year what I think but side by side the glass looks the same but hoping that the 4200 goes better in the rain/snow.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:11 PM

If you want to spend that much money then buy a Leupold VX-III 3x9x40 or Bushnell Elite 6500 3x9x40 or Ziess 3x9x40, optics clarity of these scopes are great.

Bushnell Elite Scopes are the best, I have 3200, 4200 and 6500, plus I have Leupold's as well as tested Zeiss scopes. To be honest Bushenll Elite Optics are as good and crystal clear as any of these high end Scopes and their warranty is great too. Leupold is another great one, I love the visibility in early mornings and late evenings, great for last light during hunting. I have had Bushnell's for years now and it never failed me during rain, snow or frost and I live in Saskatchewan so hunting in -45 is a norm during Rifle season and they have never fogged up on me.

Leupold Warranty I should say is the best no bull lifetime warranty and they will replace it if they can't fix the problem.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Are you sure that it isn't a Canadian company, selling a product imported from Asia?
King Optics has the worst possible Customer Service and warranty. I know they have lifetime warranty and are very good scopes but their warranty is bulls--t period.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:42 PM

Red Field scopes made by Leuplod
Old 07-15-2012, 11:16 PM

Default King Optics

If someone threw a King Optics scope into the out-house hole I would make them retrieve it. Don't want that kind of crap in there.

Or he'd have to dig another hole.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
Red Field scopes made by Leuplod
Ya, they have really good reviews, but can be had for a lot less than $500,
the millet LRS, vortex and sightron are closer to the $500 price tag depending on model.

But, those scopes are built a little more around entry level target shooting, and may not be as versatile as the redfield or minox, also the new Nikon's are getting some pretty good feedback for clarity. Im guessing you are planning to use the savage as a hunting rifle more than at the range or laying down and shooting coyotes or varmits so a 3-12 and a 44 or 50mm objective should be more than enough for what Im guessing your looking for.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody c View Post
Ya, they have really good reviews, but can be had for a lot less than $500,
the millet LRS, vortex and sightron are closer to the $500 price tag depending on model.

But, those scopes are built a little more around entry level target shooting, and may not be as versatile as the redfield or minox, also the new Nikon's are getting some pretty good feedback for clarity. Im guessing you are planning to use the savage as a hunting rifle more than at the range or laying down and shooting coyotes or varmits so a 3-12 and a 44 or 50mm objective should be more than enough for what Im guessing your looking for.
Yes, I was primarily looking to use it for hunting. I was thinking about going up to 16x power or so, just in case I decide to play with some longer range loads some day. I've been looking at a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 LR after some of the feedback on vortex scopes that I got on here. They are just slightly out of that $600 price range, but that's ok (as long as wife doesn't find out...lol)

what makes redfield or minox more versatile for hunting over vortex or sightron? I'm curious because I would rarely use this setup for target shooting, and almost exclusively for hunting.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond123 View Post
King Optics has the worst possible Customer Service and warranty. I know they have lifetime warranty and are very good scopes but their warranty is bulls--t period.
King optics are not good scopes, nor are they Canadian made. They are $100 Chinese scopes, rebranded as a Canadian product. The man (I will not name him) who runs the company is a con man with a long history of fly-by-night operations in NS.

The scopes are heavy as hell, have poor internals, poor optics and fluting a scope body is ridiculous.

Sorry if I sound like a crusader, but I hate a con man. I'll let the following posts from Canadian gun nutz do some more talking:

Kings optics posts:

CGN member:

I realize that this thread is rather old and no one seems to have posted in some time but I personally wish that I had found it sooner here or on Alberta Outdoorsmen. I have to admit that I was taken in and I am ashamed to admit I purchased one of these worthless scopes. I can say from personal experience everything posted here in a negative fashion is quite true. I purchased the "Highlander" model ( and yes I paid almost 1500.oo bones for it) I then removed from very nice leupold vxII and mounted this worthless piece of crap on my Browning eclipse 300 wsm. I went from covering three shots with a looney at 300 yds to not being able to hit the same spot twice at 100 yds. Three different shooters with vastly differing backgrounds spent about a week total and three boxes of ammo trying to sight in this piece of crap. A phone call to **** resulted in extremely high bloodpressure and no results. A day later I calmed down and tried again, his ignorance is only outweighed by his arrogance, this conversation was our last and my father took over as he is a better politician than me. If I ever find myself home in NS again I will visit this ***** personally and insert his useless scope as he has been informed by me. My father managed to arrange a swap for an even cheaper piece of crap and about 200.00 returned to him. This scope ( which supposedly sells in the 900.00 range ) is something most wouldn't mount on a pop gun. I feel betrayed and ashamed as I was honestly thinking that I was supporting not only a canadian made product but a home grown buisness that could use the money, boy was I mistaken.

CGN member:

I read this thread for the first time a couple of days ago and some things written here peaked my curiosity. The description of the guy who builds the scopes and the mystery around the company sounded familiar so I done some investigating and confirmed my suspicions.

The **** (*****) of King Optics is none other than the same **** of the various ****'s Fly By Night Gunshops that existed during various times in Sydney, NS. Those from the area may remember ****'s first gunshop/gunsmithing business on Mackenzie Street across from the Steel City and the two others, one on Charlotte Street and on Prince Street.
In all three cases the shops operated for a while and then shut their doors with no explanations, leaving many customers with deposits on products and firearms in for repair out in the cold. Some people managed to get their money or fireams back by using threats of legal action and or physical force but many others were not so lucky.

The stores were a perfect place to go if you needed your daily dose of BS and if you liked being lied to, being an honest busisnessman was never one of ****'s strong points.
There are alot of people out there who still have some outstanding issues (money) with ****, from my point of view I would rather have my firearms worked on by an gorilla with a 20 pound sledgehammer, than even having them in the same room as ****.
I fixed many firearms over the years that were "professionally gunsmithed" by ****. Most of his customers were one timers, as very few would bend over a second time.

A friend of mine also visited ****'s "manufacturing operation" (he is also quite familiar with ****'s antics) and came away less than impressed. For those that just have to know, the reason given for the fluting on the scopes was that they reduce vibration to allow for faster aiming

Scuttlebut has it that the parts for these "high quality" products may indeed be sourced in China through Cyprus with some minor machining done at Sydport, NS and then assembled in ****'s scope shack.
Based on what I know of **** and my friends description of the finished product and scope parts he handled, I would rather duct tape a cardboard tube with toothpick reticles on my rifle than soil it with one of ****'s scopes.

Coming on here and trying to flog his product then disappearing when things got to hot for him is SOP for ****.
The bad vibes everyone is getting over King Optics is just karma catching up with ****.

So **** you have been

Respectable Canadian retailer:

I seldom comment publicly about competitors or products we don't carry but I will make an exception for this "Canadain made" product. They were at Huntfest in Edmonton recently (we we there also representing the real optics companies). When I went by their booth I was struck with an overwhelming need to warn the potential customers about the deceptive business practices of this company however I bit my tongue and let them spew their sales pitch because they paid to be there and it's a free country. We have mounted a few of their scopes for the unfortunate customers who bought them and found most would not hold zero even without firing the guns as the internals were so poor they moved while on the bench. Please be careful if you buy these scopes and support this company that is clearly misleading customers...you will be sorry. We looked at this product line when it was first offered and quickly recognized these were way over priced for the absolute entry level optics they were offering. ****.

Very well regarded Canadian gunsmith:

I am with **** on this, I do not like to slag anyones product, but I saw several King Optics scopes at a gunshow here last year. A fellow named ******* had some on his table including 1 all apart to see how well they were machined/coated etc.
Lets just say that I was amazed that such fine machinework could be done with an axe

Mods if I'm out of line trying to get the word out to people about a con man please delete this post and let me know.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:03 AM

For the money? absolutely, hands down, 100% percent of the time, vortex optics. Do some research and ill bet you will buy one. plus, unconditional lifetime warranty says something. In your price range look at the Vortex Viper HS.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvnbrg View Post
For the money? absolutely, hands down, 100% percent of the time, vortex optics. Do some research and ill bet you will buy one. plus, unconditional lifetime warranty says something. In your price range look at the Vortex Viper HS.
Ya, a vortex, sightron, or minox will probably be my next scope.

Ive had experience with leupolds, bushnells, a meopta and a millet LRS, but its nice to try something different even it what you have works well.

Ive also used a shmidt and bender before. At 500 yards it equaled a zeiss conquest in 3-12x56mm at 200 yards for zoom and clarity.

The 300 is a pretty straight shooting rifle, and should accommodate you if you decide for shooting at further distances if you want to try say target shooting with it 500+ yards in the future, the 16x magnification would be good.

I found with my meopta 12X magnification was enough for 500 yards with a 300, but it is so much nicer with a 24X at that distance.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:33 PM

[QUOTE=Cowtown guy;1511595]Nightforce for 600 bucks?

X 2!

And if there is such a thing I want in on a bulk order!
Old 07-17-2012, 07:41 PM

I've seen some used, that's all