Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-30-2008, 11:34 AM

Default Frontal Shot

Guys its only 14 days till i leave for argentina for my red stag hunt, i also drew a wyoming archery only elk tag.

Now i have been shooting alot lately and alot of mental preparation is going on, shooting all different angles and distances.

The one scenario i cant get out of my head is if we call in that huge 350 bull elk and he pins me at full draw and i have his whole frontal chest to shoot at at say 20-30 yards,,,,do i take the shot and bury the arrow hopefully in the chest or do i pass the shot and hopefully have another oppertunity.

Keep in mind this is probly a once in a lifetime oppertunity draw and im guaranteed a oppertunity at a 340 bull. it has been 100% oppertunity in this highly densily populated area for elk for a number of years as there is a archery zone for me this year...

So do i take the shot or do i pass, im very interested in gathering some info from this thread as this hunt is very important to me and also very exciting, i wanna be 100% prepared for every scenario.
thanx guys.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:33 PM

Well I'm sure that the opinions will vary but if it were me no, but from what I have learnd about you in the past 6mo about your dedication to the sport the ethic's and the experiance I say yes! If you changed this to a 600 yrd frontal shot with a rifle then I would say yes for me. I just have not spent the time with the bow in these last 6 years that will change with my new Hoyt

You are the only one that will know when the time comes and the oppertunity presents itself. I am sure you know in your gut when it just feels right if thats the way it feels than let your arrow fly TRUE
Old 03-30-2008, 01:35 PM

If you are confortable with the shot then by all means yes. Very lethal shot if you miss the brisket and run it back.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:12 PM

Default awsome

yes i checked out the anatomy of the front of an elk and yea there is quite a bit of a shot there, more than i expected.
your right donny i probly will make the decision in the heat of the moment.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:26 PM

I would say NO WAY!! If you respect these animals at all, you would know they are extremly tough to kill with a bow. The animal with turn to go away eventually so wait and stop him with a quick call. he will stop and turn to look at you giving a lethal quartering away or broadside shot. Trust me I hunt elk all the time and have had this happen many times. Believe me you'lll feel like absolute crap if you shoot one and hit just slightly off your mark and wound it giving him a slow agonizing death!!! I know from experience as a bowhunter that it happens to all of us, But for me I've learned the hard way to only take a 100% killing shot. This is just my opinion and I hope it helps you or at least the animal you intend to hunt!!!! Plus if you don't tag out, you'll have reason to go next year!!!! BONUS!!!!! Go luck and shoot straight.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:33 PM

I'd pass.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:18 PM

'Slinger, it's once in a lifetime. Ya gotta take that shot. There's lots of killing potential there. Trust your gut, do the right thing and good luck.............jerk!

Tree
Old 03-30-2008, 08:05 PM

Your shot choice should have nothing to do with the opportunity of getting a tag (once in a life-time or not). At 20-30 yards taking a frontal shot is a great one, especially if you are using fix blade broadheads. Expendables would do great too.

Good luck and have a great hunt.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:08 PM

deleted by Catnthehat
Old 03-31-2008, 08:14 AM

Nope!
Old 03-31-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Keep in mind this is probly a once in a lifetime oppertunity draw and im guaranteed a oppertunity at a 340 bull. it has been 100% oppertunity in this highly densily populated area for elk for a number of years as there is a archery zone for me this year...
Gun............don't let this thinking, by itself, guide your decision...........every day presents a once-in-a-life-time opportunity to do or not do something. Nobody I know applies that logic on a daily basis. It would be something to strive for though...

Shoot or not shoot? Don't shoot low...........Like John says....get above the brisket. So I'm thinking a heart shot is not likely.......major arteries, diaphram, liver and one lung are all in the realm of possible.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:42 AM

If you are comfortable with softball size accuracy at 30 yards, you should be able to slip an arrow in.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:25 PM

alot more civilized discussion on this area.

"do i take the shot and bury the arrow hopefully in the chest or do i pass the shot and hopefully have another oppertunity."

The way i deal with those shots is " would i feel worse: 1. not taking the shot and missing a chance of a lifetime OR 2. shooting and wounding the animal and not being able to find it"

All comes down to your own ethics.
I personally had the same shot this year on a WT buck. My head was screaming shoot when he was walking in on me, but i held back and he gave me a perfect quartering away shot at 20 yards.

good luck and hopefully your toughest decision is -steaks or roast on bbq
Old 03-31-2008, 09:27 PM

Default haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
alot more civilized discussion on this area.

"do i take the shot and bury the arrow hopefully in the chest or do i pass the shot and hopefully have another oppertunity."

The way i deal with those shots is " would i feel worse: 1. not taking the shot and missing a chance of a lifetime OR 2. shooting and wounding the animal and not being able to find it"

All comes down to your own ethics.
I personally had the same shot this year on a WT buck. My head was screaming shoot when he was walking in on me, but i held back and he gave me a perfect quartering away shot at 20 yards.

good luck and hopefully your toughest decision is -steaks or roast on bbq
now that is gonna be the best decision for sure,steaks or roast.haha
Old 03-31-2008, 10:38 PM

With your hunting knowledge and savy Pat u will make the right decision when it comes down to it.

Nobody knows a person's capabilitys except the person put in the situation to be tested on them.

Good luck and can't wait to see your pics.