Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-09-2008, 07:34 PM

Default Kisser Button?

I just picked up my new Mathews DXT on the weekend, and the guy that sold it to me did not put on a kisser. Just wondering if most guys out there use them or not? All my other bows have had them and i feel kinda uncomfortable without one. I think i will gfo down and get one put on tomorrow.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:33 PM

Yeah id definitely get a kisser or pep sight on.

AKA MAVERICK
Old 03-09-2008, 11:06 PM

I have always used one...just solidify's my anchor point. When you put on a facemask it may change so the kisser helps me find it. I just got my DXT last week, did you throw on a stab. or quiver yet? if so what did you go with & how is it?
Old 03-10-2008, 09:12 AM

you hit the nail on the head it what you feel comfortable with the trend nowadays seems to be going away from kisser buttons but im still pretty old schooland i have them on all my bows
Old 03-10-2008, 10:09 AM

No kisser and no-peep......as in I do not use a peep or any alternative to a peep. Everybody's different...

Knuckle anchor in the hollow behind the jaw underneath the ear is all I find necessary.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:36 AM

Always good to have solid reference points.

If one uses a peep and can touch nose to string and have a refernece point on face for hand placement a kisser is overkill.

With some of the new short ATA bows and a long drawlength it is hard to get nose to string and keep proper head orientation and a kisser button helps.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:55 AM

Thanks guys, i didn't think i was the only one who used one. Johnnyringo, i did not put on a stabilizer, but think i may look around for one that i like, probably a limb saver. Also i did put on a Mathews 5 arrow T series quiver, but with my qad drop away rest, i can only fit 3 arrows into the quiver. I am planning on getting some spacers today to see if i can fix that problem. The arrows were butting up against the rest, therefore making the rest unusable, i think a few washers to move the rest away from the bow a bit should fix this problem.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:48 PM

What did it cost you? I saw they are runing $150+. I'm doing some research to get something on-line for cheaper. Leaning towards the Alpine Soft-loc in Lost Camo. No hurry as the season isn't here for a while. Did you find any difference with the stab? I'm rtying to keep my rig as light as possible and it shoots pretty well right now. I'm on the fence but I'll probably try some out at the range before buying.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:02 PM

Yeah the 5 arrow t-series cost me $149.95, kind of expensive but i like the fact that it is removable, now if only i could fit 5 arrows in it i would be happy. I still have not put on a stabilizer, but when i was shooting it this weekend i found that i was a little shaky, so it is something i will definitely try.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:55 PM

The Alpine is removable, holds 3/5/7 arrows and I can get it for $40 (in lost camo). Heard great things about it so far. The system on the T-5 looks strange. No noise when you shoot with a full quiver?
Old 03-10-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Always good to have solid reference points.

If one uses a peep and can touch nose to string and have a refernece point on face for hand placement a kisser is overkill.

With some of the new short ATA bows and a long drawlength it is hard to get nose to string and keep proper head orientation and a kisser button helps.
nek - I think this is a subjective issue. At one time I quit using a kisser but I'm back to using them and it is an important part of my foundation. As a rule of thumb I need at least 2 reference points when anchoring. I prefer 3 because my facemask usually interferes with the kisser and my gloves/mitts interfere with the hand to face reference. This really only leaves one anchor when hunting in cold weather, my peep. If I were to only use hand to face, my impact would change because the glove/mitt lowering my hand. Truly the only reliable anchor in cold weather is a peep or other alignement device. If some of you don't think a glove will make a big difference, here's something to think about, the d/l on my hunting bow is 3/4" longer to compensate for the mitts I wear! That issue will also rear it's head on the hand to face anchor. I would be effectively increasing my peep height by the thickness of the mitt, in my case close to 3/4" Anyone that's had a peep move a 1/4" knows that's a major change let alone moving it 1/2-3/4". It's a situation where you'll be missing high by a good 6-8" for sure at 20 yds. and probably more.

Just some thoughts FWIW.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:09 PM

I love my Kisser and wouldn't shoot without it, but Russ you made a really good point in regards to it shifting. I think that I will put a spot of paint on my string above and below the peep just to have a quick visual reference to be sure that it is true. Any thoughts?

Tree
Old 03-10-2008, 09:31 PM

I'd just tie some white dental floss on instead, it won't move unless I make an effort. I tie it using the over & under method as described on the PSE Basics video. Works good for my peep, so I'm sure it'll work fine for a string marker too.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:40 PM

dental floss rocks! Especially the green stuff.

I use a kisser for sure.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:23 AM

Russ with a kisser I have 4 points!....

Peep
Nose
Hand on face!....

and Kisser!...

Instead of a kisser I end my top serving were my nose touches string and I feel this lightly with tip of my nose. This tells me if my peep has moved.

I guess I should call it a sniffer!

Many people use a kisser in a way that causes string to deflect upon release. It should contact front of mouth like recurve so string can go straight away upon release.

Many folks use corner of mouth and string deflects slightly as it is released.

I recommend using a rubber eliminator button or tied on kisser because it is smoother.

I cringe when I see a person with a mustache using a kisser with a split in it. Waiting for the day when the split catches about 5 mustache hairs and I hear the resulting yeowch!

When I am shooting a new bow I use a kisser so that I can nail down the best anchor to use!... then i remove it after I have my sniffer set!
Old 03-11-2008, 08:56 AM

nek - don't forget that some bows the string angle is so acute that contact with the nose will either cause the person's head to duck or the d/l will be too long.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:01 AM

Very True!...

That is why i do not like super short ATA bows!

The peep is is further from they requiring a large ID to see clearly!. and is where a kisser becomes more crucial
Old 03-26-2008, 10:46 PM

Just put the string in the centre of your nose and the pointer finger nuckel at the jaw.
I would sure hate too see you kisser button guys catch your kisser in your face mask...lol
ouch
Old 03-27-2008, 12:16 AM

I feel so naked trying to shoot without one. Go for it, that way you know your anchor point is guarenteed to be bang-on every time.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:16 AM

Nope, never used one and do not plan on using one. I can honestly say I do not consciously find an anchor point and it has worked very well for me. Do use a peep site though.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldhill View Post
Just put the string in the centre of your nose and the pointer finger nuckel at the jaw.
I would sure hate too see you kisser button guys catch your kisser in your face mask...lol
ouch
Never had a problem so far. I use a cushion button and tie it into place, nice & soft.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:36 PM

FYI

If you lengthen your draw length by about an inch, you kisser button guys will be able to find the anchor point with ease. Or just turn your stance to a 45^ angle, which is how you should be shooting anyway. this should give you the extra length to find the anchor point.

AND as a bonus, lengthining your draw will give you about 2 fps more speed, and about another 3 when you loose the kisser button. for most bows this will result in about a 1-2" less of a drop at 40 yrds, thus eliminating some distance errors. A flatter shooting arrow will result in a marginal miss with a miss judge in distance.

Ch
Old 03-29-2008, 06:22 AM

When my d/l is too long or too short I can't hit crap. I'll pass on the extra 2 or 3' / second. My tolerance is about 1/8" either way.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:54 PM

Used a kiss button for years, but when I bought my last new bow 3 years ago Joe at Sherwood Pk. suggested to stop using one.
You know he was right! I shoot a good as before with ONE less thing to go wrong!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:46 PM

Never used a kisser in 29 years bow hunting My new bow has a peep but thats first time I have used that either I still shoot my old bow occasionally without a peep and I really don't notice any difference between them
Guess it whatever each persons preference is and what they got used too I have three points of reference side of jaw nose and arrow in ribs