Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2017, 08:01 AM
Banned

Default I guess we need bigger parks...

We know who will latch on to this..

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...nt-zones-study

Quote:
EDMONTON*— Climate change is pulling the environmental rug out from under the great majority of the parks and protected areas in North America, federal research suggests.

Marc-Andre Parisien, of the Canadian Forest Service, is a co-author of a paper that studies how shifts in climate are causing ecological regions in conserved areas to move.

“The climates that are in western Montana and the panhandle of Idaho and parts of Colorado are eventually going to be in Banff National Park,” he said.
That means the temperature, precipitation, moisture and growing season that define Banff now will be pushed out.

Parisien first calculated the rate of movement of climate zones. He and his colleagues used that climate velocity to estimate how far ecosystems will shift by the end of the century. They then looked at the boundaries of 4,512 protected areas in Canada, the United States and Mexico.

For nearly 80 per cent of those areas, the climate that helped define them will have simply moved on.

“You have the potential to migrate hundreds of kilometres away from your current location,” said Parisien.

Canadian parks are likely to be most heavily affected, he said.

The study predicts that the climates that helped create the Rocky Mountain national parks in Alberta and British Columbia will move thousands of kilometres by the end of the century. Almost every park in Canada, with the exception of some coastal areas in northern British Columbia and Nunavut, will see its former climate move outside current boundaries.

“Over 100 years, that’ll be challenging for a lot of species,” Parisien said.
“If you’re an insect or a bird, it might be fairly easy. But if you’re a tree or a rare plant, you’re going to have some problems.”

Parisien’s projections are based on current rates of fossil fuel usage. Cutting carbon emissions to keep global warming under two degrees Celsius would improve the outlook considerably.

But changes are already happening, he said. Forests in the Edmonton area have already begun to change in response to a shifting climate.

“If you live outside Edmonton, you notice a lot of trees dying. These crazy droughts of the past 15 years are killing a lot of trees,” he said.

“We’re already seeing in many places this shift from an aspen forest to a shrubby, prairie-like ecosystem. That’s been happening over the time span of 10, 15 years.”

Parisien said his research should be used as new parks and protected areas are created to fulfil Canada’s international promises to protect 17 per cent of its land mass by 2020. The key, he said, is for new conservation areas to have some connection with existing ones to give species a chance to follow the climate as it shifts.

“We hope to guide the design of future protected areas, look at where the climates are today and where they might be tomorrow.”
Old 03-30-2017, 08:05 AM

If all the forests in our parks are going to die anyway, let's log them and use the timber for useful things. No sense letting it go to waste.

When are these climatards going to dry up and blow away? I'm tired of tax dollars paying "science" to stir up the stupid.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 03-30-2017, 08:32 AM

Hilly Billy, you obviously do not spend much time in our forested areas in the foothills. Us trappers see major changes in the trees as result of much less precipitation and warmer temperatures. Regardless of the debate on what is causing the temperature change. Alberta will be Montana in the future.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:38 AM

I'm confused, is he talking about the original ecosystems that were in place 150 years ago in Banff and around Edmonton. Or the ones that are in place now. Considering there was very little forest around Edmonton originally. And that the forests that make up a large part of the mountain passes are radically different already then they were 150 years ago.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Hilly Billy, you obviously do not spend much time in our forested areas in the foothills. Us trappers see major changes in the trees as result of much less precipitation and warmer temperatures. Regardless of the debate on what is causing the temperature change. Alberta will be Montana in the future.
The underlying message in the article is hinting at bigger parks. They are using fake facts to reach their goal. We are not arguing climate change.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:47 AM
Banned

People hear the term Climate Change and they shut down. But...

In the grand scheme of things, we live on a big magnet - and she isn't static.

North and South poles are moving, earth's plates are moving, and there's a big ol ball of metal spinning beneath our feet at creates all this. Earth is always in a constant state of flux, and we're just along for the ride with no control.

Maybe it's just me but winters aren't what they used to be in Edmonton, seems to be milder every year.

I think people need to define what climate change really is. Are climates moving due to the earth being in flux? I don't pretend to understand the science behind it all.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
People hear the term Climate Change and they shut down. But...

In the grand scheme of things, we live on a big magnet - and she isn't static.

North and South poles are moving, earth's plates are moving, and there's a big ol ball of metal spinning beneath our feet at creates all this. Earth is always in a constant state of flux, and we're just along for the ride with no control.

Maybe it's just me but winters aren't what they used to be in Edmonton, seems to be milder every year.

I think people need to define what climate change really is. Are climates moving due to the earth being in flux? I don't pretend to understand the science behind it all.
The science is where the money is. Remember the big fear of global cooling 40 years ago. I still have the nation geographic.

Colin
Old 03-30-2017, 06:15 PM

I like park.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Are climates moving due to the earth being in flux? I don't pretend to understand the science behind it all.
It's easy to understand. As the earth flattens the shadows get longer, gravitational forces at the edges will weaken during this process. At a certain threshold in the transition from global sphere to pancake disc the earth's gravitational forces will become to weak to hold water, the oceans will then slide toward the edges and pour off into the atmosphere. This will unbalance the pancake, it will flip over and start spinning clockwise when the sun is up, when the sun goes down it will slow, stop then begin spinning counter clockwise, time will reverse, daylight saving time will be lost. Centrifugal force will see all tumbleweed fly off into the atmosphere, collecting the water from the oceans to begin their own planet making process. Trees that used to point north will still point north but in reverse and grow backwards. Mountains will invert. There will be no more uphill or downhill, just flat hills. The climate in the center of the disc will be stagnant, on the outside of the disc it will be permanently and sustainably windy, that's where Lethbridge will be located.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:49 PM

While the parks may have been established to preserve areas of significant beauty and natural splendor, and shifted to preserving distinct natural ecoregions, I don't think the gifting climates are bad for the parks. It will remain that the parks are areas of severely limited development that will preserve natural areas.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:20 PM

Northern part of the Sahara dessert was once massive grasslands. things change.

Grizz
Old 03-30-2017, 09:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
It's easy to understand. As the earth flattens the shadows get longer, gravitational forces at the edges will weaken during this process. At a certain threshold in the transition from global sphere to pancake disc the earth's gravitational forces will become to weak to hold water, the oceans will then slide toward the edges and pour off into the atmosphere. This will unbalance the pancake, it will flip over and start spinning clockwise when the sun is up, when the sun goes down it will slow, stop then begin spinning counter clockwise, time will reverse, daylight saving time will be lost. Centrifugal force will see all tumbleweed fly off into the atmosphere, collecting the water from the oceans to begin their own planet making process. Trees that used to point north will still point north but in reverse and grow backwards. Mountains will invert. There will be no more uphill or downhill, just flat hills. The climate in the center of the disc will be stagnant, on the outside of the disc it will be permanently and sustainably windy, that's where Lethbridge will be located.
As believable as the current narrative. Good work though.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Sure but is there any money in it? Or jobs for scientists?
Old 03-31-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
I do like pancakes.

Dodger.