Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2017, 10:05 AM

My mom's neighbor has a golden eagle mount, he found it in his front yard with a big burn mark on it, it died on the powerline, the taxidermist just replaced the burnt feathers with partridge feathers, you can't tell the difference until he tells you and points it out, it's very well done.

Last edited by Little red riding hood; 03-29-2017 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Wrong spelling
Old 03-29-2017, 11:32 AM

Just a weird thought but maybe leg hold trap on top of pole. Someone once suggested that as a solution for me when I was loosing pigeons in my loft at night. I chose to simply take the time to close the loft most nights.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:53 PM

I knew a guy who found a dead owl that only had one foot. After the snow melted he found the other foot. It appears the owl was electrocuted and he figured the charge blew the foot off.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:45 PM

Mom had a dead owl on her yard(here in Manitoba) this winter, looked in good shape, very beautiful. I went online and got a phone number that you are supposed to call. Called the number, they tell me that it is not their department, so they pass me through to another department. Same reply at the next department, so they pass me to a third department. After they heard it was a great horned owl, they had no interest and asked if I had a burn barrel. I said yes, so they said burn it. I asked if they were not curious how it died? Nope. I hope the rest of my owls don't just drop dead, we usually have two that banter back and forth at night, it's kind of a soothing sound.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:45 PM

The owl probably had bands and the only way to get them off was to cut off the feet.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:29 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
I knew a guy who found a dead owl that only had one foot. After the snow melted he found the other foot. It appears the owl was electrocuted and he figured the charge blew the foot off.
Actually that makes a lot of sense. I've seen birds get electrocuted bu power lines.
Not Owls, little birds, there was nothing left.
I think it was a flock of Starlings or Blackbirds. The were sitting on one of those main trunk lines.
When they took flight, they passed between the lines, there was a flash and then just feathers floating to the ground. No bones, no bodies, just feathers.

An Owl's a lot bigger so I could see one stepping on both posts of a transformer and getting both legs blown off.

I saw a Bear try to sit on a transformer one time. He hit the ground still smoking and done medium rare. Cooked.
Actually no one cut him open to find out how much damage was done, but he sure smelled cooked and he sure was dead dead dead.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-29-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Actually that makes a lot of sense. I've seen birds get electrocuted bu power lines.
Not Owls, little birds, there was nothing left.
I think it was a flock of Starlings or Blackbirds. The were sitting on one of those main trunk lines.
When they took flight, they passed between the lines, there was a flash and then just feathers floating to the ground. No bones, no bodies, just feathers.

An Owl's a lot bigger so I could see one stepping on both posts of a transformer and getting both legs blown off.

I saw a Bear try to sit on a transformer one time. He hit the ground still smoking and done medium rare. Cooked.
Actually no one cut him open to find out how much damage was done, but he sure smelled cooked and he sure was dead dead dead.
I found a young hawk at the base of a power pole a couple days after an unexplained power outage. Same pole where a barn cat met his end after my gsp chased it. It went over the fence and up the pole. I was there for that. When it arced it sounded like a 12 gauge and all my neighbors power went out. Half bald, smell of burnt hair in the air not a twitch. Cat did not know it was home free when it crossed the fence.

Cat encounters were frequent so Epcore asked me to put tin flashing part way up my poles to prevent cats from climbing.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:35 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
A dead Owl with no feet. Thats a headscratcher for sure.

Sorry for the bad pun.
Voodoo crap, give it to the F&W and be done with it...you'll find a better specimen to get to the taxidermist for a beauty mount.
I got two done over the years, X-rays carried out, permit and then off to the taxidermist.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...