Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-16-2017, 03:15 PM

Default Flood ice @ Wizard???

Hey Everyone, I'm hosting a fairly large ice fishing derby out at Wizard Lake on the Monday of the Family Day long weekend. Could anyone out in that region or who's fished it recently let me know about the condition of the ice? It doesn't bother me much but a good layer of water would put a damper on things.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:38 PM

Default Wizard

There is water on the ice at the West end. And it is a couple of inches deep in places. There is still the remainders of the big drifts as well, all the water is pooled up between them. Where about are you hosting your fish derby? I could check out another area on my way home tomorrow night if it is somewhere else. It is supposed to only be -2ish on Monday so it all should be frozen again by then anyway.
Otto
Old 02-16-2017, 08:03 PM

Thanks Otto, much appreciated! I was planning just on the east side of the Narrows to the South in the bay.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:52 PM

Default Wizard

No problem, that corner might still have a bit more snow because it's somewhat more shady, for more of the day. Good luck with your tournament.
Be careful, there is usually an open hole big enough to swallow a car a few hundred yards East of there close to the South shore, near where the lake curves almost due East. It might be hard to see if there is no snow.
Otto.

It's actually raining here now..

Last edited by otto389; 02-16-2017 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Added
Old 02-16-2017, 10:17 PM

Thanks!! I'll probably run down there on Saturday. This weather is weird to say the least.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:39 PM

Default Update for you..

There was a lot less water up on top tonight, i guess it got cold enough last night to partially refereeze . But there was also a lot of water running down the ditch and onto the ice at the east end. Even the little gully beside our house had water running down it. Never seen that in Feb. before...
Old 02-18-2017, 12:29 PM

i might be heading there tomorrow. how does the access look at jubilee, are people driving on the lake? I would think the flood water will be frozen tomorrow.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:40 PM

I just went to check it out, ice looks great! With the fresh snow this evening it should be perfect for Monday.