Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-26-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww2269 View Post
Hi RMM,
Ive been there a few times but only for work, never on a hunt. I am taking a sled and skimmer just in case we need it but from what ive been told its best to just pound the roads.
Cool were going with sleds this time too, they were avoiding roads big time at the start of Dec but there was lots of pressure then maybe different now I don't know.

We are staying in High Level this trip a bit further drive but I think its the better option. Heading up on Friday good luck to all, ill help out others if I can.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
Thanks for the info..Any on Bison location I'm open to a Pm's LOL
Both times the bison were harvested close to the apache compressor station.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainMusic View Post
Cool were going with sleds this time too, they were avoiding roads big time at the start of Dec but there was lots of pressure then maybe different now I don't know.

We are staying in High Level this trip a bit further drive but I think its the better option. Heading up on Friday good luck to all, ill help out others if I can.
Just booked a kitchenet at the Rainbow Lake Hitel. That might be scary but the price is right. I will forward any info on the buf activity.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:47 PM

ww2269 if you want a map of some possible hot spots look me up. I am across the road from the Rainbow air port. The yard has a big white coverall tent and 4 bay shop I am there the evenings. Ernie
Old 12-27-2016, 02:45 PM

Only one day left, staying in high level. Seeing nothing and any intel would really be appreciated
Old 12-28-2016, 07:54 AM

Good luck Bison are fun to hunt
Old 12-28-2016, 12:10 PM

Any word on the snow conditions up near Zama? Just wondering if we are going to need sleds or if we should be able to find the heard near the roads?
Old 12-28-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse2004 View Post
Only one day left, staying in high level. Seeing nothing and any intel would really be appreciated
Where have you been looking? Is there any fresh snow up there these days, it will give you good reference where to start looking. I have been up there the last two years and it was total luck when we saw the bison. I would focus my attention in the Apache Oilfield.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:30 PM

My son got his in the second gravel pit to the west of Zama. At that time there were a couple of herds moving around to the North and West of Zama. Other than that there was some movement on the North end of the "No Bison Hunting Area" South East of Zama. I heard a couple were taken around the Apache Gas plant and south.
They use the road systems at night to move around. Try to find fresh tracks and stay on them.

Good Luck! Interesting hunt for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1188.jpg (53.5 KB, 737 views)
Old 12-28-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBULLS View Post
My son got his in the second gravel pit to the west of Zama. At that time there were a couple of herds moving around to the North and West of Zama. Other than that there was some movement on the North end of the "No Bison Hunting Area" South East of Zama. I heard a couple were taken around the Apache Gas plant and south.
They use the road systems at night to move around. Try to find fresh tracks and stay on them.

That's a great bull.. congrats to your son. I got to watch my son shot his bison this year also, very interesting hunt for sure. Hoping to do the same some year myself..

Jim...
Old 12-29-2016, 12:10 AM

Luck is the key for sure, spent last 4 days driving roads and sledding around zama and apache plant. from zama lake all the way north almost up to bistcho lake, and only seen a few old sets of tracks. Found about 6 spots where bison were shot, almost all right on road or just off it. I don't think it has snowed in some time up there, fresh snow would of helped. Seen a few other hunters with the same results as me, just did the long drive home and might give in one more try in a few weeks.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww2269 View Post
Just booked a kitchenet at the Rainbow Lake Hitel. That might be scary but the price is right. I will forward any info on the buf activity.
Was that the rainbow centre hotel? I think dad and I may be making a trip back up and huge drive from high level got pretty old last time, may try rainbow lake. When are you going?
Old 12-29-2016, 09:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBULLS View Post

Cool !!!
Old 12-30-2016, 05:19 PM

we are heading up on jan 3rd for 4-5 days if anyone is interested in teaming up
Old 12-30-2016, 08:14 PM

I have heard to try and find a fish and game officer and ask them some questions they seem to know where they are at and are helpful sometimes.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:59 PM

Heading up the 4th to test our luck. Staying in high level. Anyone needing help or wanting to pool resources or make a plan send me pm. Good luck everyone
Old 01-02-2017, 11:57 AM

Any one able to give an update on how much snow is kicking around? We are bringing up sleds in a few weeks but would just like to know what conditions are like -other than cold.
Feel free to PM me as well.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:34 PM

Heading out in the morning plan to be in the zone for opening light. Staying in High-level
Old 01-02-2017, 03:39 PM

I spent the day driving around cutlines at high level, maybe 18" snow at most. A quad might have its hands full, but a sled shouldn't have any trouble at all.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:56 PM

Was talking to a buddy who lives in Zama. Lots of new snow around Rainbow and Zama last few days. Quad would still work but a snowmobile would be great. Just watch for rivers and ponds that aren't frozen good enough, especially any where there is current or warm muskeg. It hasn't been real cold and is only running 15 below even today. The warmer weather and a little snow keeps the terrain from freezing real well. Freezes down good once the snow is compressed.

Best of luck to all of you that are up there hunting. Wish I was going too.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:36 PM

The first herd we were on got into the no hunting area before we caught them, there is enough snow for sleds but quads may still go. Been putting on 100km a day on sleds away from roads there is sign but nothing really fresh. Although couple have been killed close to us last 2 days. Sure gets frustrating covering all that ground and seeing nothing not used to that lol hopefully things turn for the better tomorrow! If you were a lucky one to happen upon them easily count your blessings I'd take a gimme about now lol
Old 01-27-2017, 04:34 PM

Who is up near high level and Zama and has seen a bison recently? We know where they have been but not where they went. At least not to follow a week old trail for 3 days just to find it went to the no hunting zone.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainMusic View Post
The first herd we were on got into the no hunting area before we caught them, there is enough snow for sleds but quads may still go. Been putting on 100km a day on sleds away from roads there is sign but nothing really fresh. Although couple have been killed close to us last 2 days. Sure gets frustrating covering all that ground and seeing nothing not used to that lol hopefully things turn for the better tomorrow! If you were a lucky one to happen upon them easily count your blessings I'd take a gimme about now lol
Are you guys seeing any critters (moose, wolves, deer)?

Gerry Burnie
Old 01-30-2017, 11:02 AM

There are more wolves up there than trees lmao, We were there for 8 days total and I have yet to see a deer or moose track in that country just wolves and Bison. Last trip we seen a silver fox and 2 big bull bison that were so spooky we hardly had the chance to see them. Going back up there to hopefully seal the deal on a nice bull. Total critters seen is 2 bison, 7 wolves, 1 coyote, 1 silver fox in the zama area. Will update you after the final trip
Old 02-07-2017, 06:02 PM

Default Bison Down

Went back up on the 2nd and sealed the deal on day 2, We did the exact same thing as the previous trip on the sleds and fortunately this time put one on the ground. Beautiful animal and sure wasn't an easy hunt for us anyway. Was a bit of circus at the start of season and lots of road hunters, some get lucky and take them from the roads and others like us need to work for them lol but i'm ok with that, we now have a way better story and memory. Thanks to all that helped I think I have helped lots out this year with the same draw and seen many success stories. I would post pics but this site is way behind in technology and I don't use photobucket etc anymore... should be able to just upload right to the forum. oh well most probably seen on AHA already anyway. Good luck to those still looking