Banned

Default Canada Goose Going Public with IPO

Business must be good!

Canada Goose said to plan dual-listing IPO as soon as February

ALEX BARINKA AND SCOTT DEVEAU
Bloomberg News
Published Friday, Jan. 13, 2017 3:27PM EST
Last updated Friday, Jan. 13, 2017 3:31PM EST

Canada Goose Inc. is planning to go public as soon as next month, people with knowledge of the matter said, in an initial public offering that could value the company at about $2-billion.

The Toronto-based retailer, backed by Bain Capital and known for its trademark $900 parkas with coyote fur-lined hoods, is aiming to go public in February or March, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the information is private.

Canada Goose is planning on selling 10 per cent to 15 per cent of the company to the public in both the U.S. and in its home country, said one of the people, implying an IPO size of $200-million to $300-million.

In 2013, when Bain acquired a majority stake in Canada Goose, the company was valued at about $250-million, the person said. Terms weren’t disclosed at the time.

The last retail company to go public on a U.S. exchange was rugged apparel maker Duluth Holdings Inc. in November, 2015, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Canadian retailer Aritzia Inc. raised $460-million in September, including an overallotment, the largest Canadian IPO of the year amid a dearth of listings.

In the past decade, only a dozen apparel or shoe companies have listed shares in the U.S. and Canada combined, the data compiled by Bloomberg show. The biggest such IPO was from yoga-pants maker Lululemon Athletica Inc., which raised $377-million in 2007, including an overallotment.

Representatives of Canada Goose and Bain declined to comment.

In recent years, buyers have flocked to the luxury brand, lending cachet to wearers sporting the brand’s trademark circular label. In November, Canada Goose opened a flagship store in New York.

Canada Goose hasn’t always targeted the luxury winter-weather buyer. The company was founded in a small warehouse in Toronto in 1957 as Metro Sportswear Ltd., specializing in woollen vests, raincoats and snowmobile suits.

The company employs more than 1,000 people worldwide, according to its website. Dani Reiss, the company’s chief executive officer and grandson of its founder, Sam Tick, retained a minority position in the company at the time of the Bain deal.

Credit Suisse Group AG, Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce and Goldman Sachs Group Inc. are leading the offering, people familiar with the matter said in November.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle33620901/
Old 01-29-2017, 11:40 PM

Thanks Dave. I wonder if it'll be a good investment? Too bad it's not entirely Canadian anymore.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:09 AM
Banned

I have no idea how it'd be as an investment but they must be doing okay if they are going public. A good sign for us coyote snarers I think.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:14 AM

I'm leaning towards them attempting to cash out before the popularity falls any further. We're at the tail end of the trend IMO, I'll be staying clear of this one. 3 years ago would have been another story.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:26 AM

I think it depends entirely on the price. But look around next time you are downtown in a cold snap and see how many people have been convinced they need a $1000 down jacket! AMAZING.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:48 PM
Banned

I don't know if it is relevant but was it not long ago that some of Cdn Tires holdings..ie..Marks work warehouse, for one, were not going to stock the Canada goose product because of the fur and feather content and undoubtably pressure from the like of peta. I never heard anything after that, so am not sure where that ended. FWIW
Old 01-30-2017, 09:07 PM
Banned

Reading this little news clip makes me think that it will be good news for coyote trappers in the short term. The rest sounds like what politicians do when they try to gauge what people are thinking. "We are telling you this but we can't be identified because it's private " What a crock.
Personally I hope CG does well, but I wouldn't invest any of my hard earned money. I will, however, invest in more coyote snares in the next few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2017, 05:51 PM

Default Fjallraven is better

My younger brother used to work for MarksWork Warehouse when they still carried CG and he let me know as soon as they had planned to not be entirely Canadian and MWW wouldn't renew their contract I think.
If you're looking for good winter jackets that are warm I'd go with the Swedish company Fjallraven, I've got a few of their products and and am supremely happy with them. Just as warm, not nearly as expensive and if you're into the fashion aspect, they look better in my opinion.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueNorth View Post
My younger brother used to work for MarksWork Warehouse when they still carried CG and he let me know as soon as they had planned to not be entirely Canadian and MWW wouldn't renew their contract I think.
If you're looking for good winter jackets that are warm I'd go with the Swedish company Fjallraven, I've got a few of their products and and am supremely happy with them. Just as warm, not nearly as expensive and if you're into the fashion aspect, they look better in my opinion.
and they would be what ? 0 percent canadian. Love my resolute canada goose jacket.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
and they would be what ? 0 percent canadian. Love my resolute canada goose jacket.
Yep !

Mines incredible