Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 07-31-2016, 10:17 AM

Default It's a start...

There are a couple questions to still be answered with this but at least it's an update.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:28 AM

Let's hope we get the lines of communication open with the AEP Fur team and clean up some of the issues. Remember to share your ideas with your local presidents and renew your memberships!
Old 07-31-2016, 10:56 AM

Trying to keep somewhat informed on this concern.

Are these two separate documents?

2016 AEP Interim Trapping Administration Reference Document

and the

2016 Interim Trapping Administration Agreement

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-31-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
There are a couple questions to still be answered with this but at least it's an update.

This something that was mailed out Nube? or just posted online?
Old 07-31-2016, 12:44 PM

They are the same documents.

This was emailed to the ATA directors then out the ATA local presidents this morning.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:27 PM

What bothers me is there seems to be a stop to things for now in one sentence and then in another it says don't trust anyone as they might be running on their own agenda lol To me it's either been halted or not period. If the head guy in charge says not in force till the new year then why do we think there is a possibility that some may still be following the new rules? That scares me and shows to me the incompetence of the ones that implemented change. You would think they would all be on the same page bringing this in. At least there is a chance we will have a small chance in making some changes
Old 07-31-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcrazy View Post
They are the same documents.

This was emailed to the ATA directors then out the ATA local presidents this morning.
Just noted that in my last post I missed the word "Agreement" in the first document title.

If correct that these two are actually the same, what a weird title considering the ATA not others were state that they were consulted.

Who is the agreement between?

I wonder if anyone can provide a copy of the document that uses the words "Interim Agreement"?

Yes, Nube, that is a very strange disclaimer....

This is still not adding up....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-01-2016, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Just noted that in my last post I missed the word "Agreement" in the first document title.

If correct that these two are actually the same, what a weird title considering the ATA not others were state that they were consulted.

Who is the agreement between?

I wonder if anyone can provide a copy of the document that uses the words "Interim Agreement"?

Yes, Nube, that is a very strange disclaimer....

This is still not adding up....
Lots of stuff not adding up.
Lots of Rumours
Lots of people that I am not sure can be trusted.
Everyone has their own personal agenda
Are the right questions being asked?
And I am an arse for even opening my mouth I guess
My head is spinning
Old 08-01-2016, 08:05 AM

I have confidence in our board at the ATA, but keep in mind that they can't charge into the discussion uninvited. I can't imagine a conversation on changes to trapping regs. without including trappers. Geeeeze, that would be like changing farming without consulting farmers, nuff said.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:21 AM

"If correct that these two are actually the same, what a weird title considering the ATA not others were state that they were consulted. "

Too much time in the trapping forum?

If correct that these two are actually the same, what a weird title considering that neither the ATA nor others stated that they were consulted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Lots of stuff not adding up.
Lots of Rumours
Lots of people that I am not sure can be trusted.
Everyone has their own personal agenda

Are the right questions being asked?

And I am an arse for even opening my mouth I guess
My head is spinning
I don't think so....

AEP and F&W are trying out a new system for development of policy and management plans. All very hush hush.... It is "interesting" how select individuals from stakeholders are being included in the planning, and how the stakeholder groups and the public are being shut out.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:50 AM
Banned

Thank you for posting the letter. AO is my only source for info. I am working on finding a Local that forwards this type of info via email to its members and joining it.

Kudos to the ATA for keeping the membership informed. Sometimes a lack of info can be worse than anything else. I would be very happy if I knew what the ATA's position was going into the meeting in September as well as having access to the minutes of the actual meeting itself. Complete transparency.

As for my part in this whole fiasco, I do regret saying some of the things that I said and I should have handled it much, much differently. The feeling of betrayal was strong, I was irate and I allowed my emotions to get the better of me. Regardless, I will not be commenting on that matter any further.

I would highly recommend that all trappers contact the ATA and provide them with their input wrt the interim agreement. If you don't and you're not happy with the final outcome, you may regret not letting your position be known.

Last edited by HunterDave; 08-01-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:44 PM

Default It's a crying shame...

I find it terribly distasteful that when the few fellas that have questioned and called out those that have "weight" in our ATA organization, to have been publicly ridiculed to the point or feeling like they are way out of line and apologize for doing so.
When the truth is, they were near bang on the money in some of the questions and claims.. I'm not saying all! Yet they are not the "idiots" the defensive few are stating.

And I have absolutely zero hesitance in believing the ATA (or others who are behind the seen((at least one)).. Are pushing for changes.

As a matter of fact I know who it is that wined and dined the Bio's and other folk who are in the position to make the changes, and or lobby for them(oil execs)(he actually shared that method himself in class)

It came out of his mouth Pretty much!

And he's using trappers ourselves against us! People who have had a poor catch and have posted photos online.. Using that as evidence that Trappers need more training. I'm not going to argue that some may need some help.. Training is not a bad thing, ever!

It is clear as day, after successfully achieving the need for any "new" trappers to require a course to buy a licence.
That way they've bottle necked each and everyone new into coughing up a ridiculous amount of money to learn nothing more than is learned online!
Funny how when you look into the early days of this trapping forum, courses where offered at one tenth the cost!

And can also figure out, that what was planned is.. To "trap" all older and current trappers into requiring courses to "update" and "maintain" ourselves in order to acquire "points" regarding qualifying for RFMA's. And getting hard earned cash out of their pockets also.

It's a cash cow, and at least one "whom I'm withholding stating his name online" due to the fact of never being able to prove what I'm saying.. It's simply common sense, along with putting two and two together after having and attempting to have conversations with said fella! And reading what his own words and ideas responses where when questioned about the changes.

By using failed attempts at an ethical catch, he's using his "history" in the ATA and trapping to convince the AEP and others (whoever it involves) that his way his best! And is in the process of developing courses, as well as teaching other course currently. Have to hand it to him for trying.. Very few others are doing it.

And I'm not speaking about Gord! I don't even know Gord, never met him yet.

I'm not trying to stir or cause trouble! I'm only standing up for the very few that have contested, and or questioned the manufacturing of the new so called improvements!

I'm all for training also, yet not for a ridiculous cost! That's wrong!

What I speaking up for is, the fact that when everyone was shocked at the new changes, and questioned some.. And yeah even maybe barked up the wrong tree.. And nice to see cooler heads prevail.. They weren't all that far off the mark in the first place.

This being the only hidden agenda I have any knowledge regarding. And it's out of the horses mouth!

No more hiding behind political correctness(you know who you are) you're doing it, and hiding in plain sight! It would've been crystal clear how it would upset some, so be a man or "association" and own up to it!

Rather than leave thousands of us "in the dark" and claiming pure innocence.
That's how to be Professional!
Old 08-04-2016, 01:38 AM
Banned

That has got to be one of the most ambiguous letters that I have seen in years (and that includes are hunting and fishing regs.) Hopefully some legal transfer system will come out of this, and at worst a grandfather clause to protect/compensate trappers that have sunk a substantial amount of hard work and legal tender to improve a RFMA.

Also, don't forget that these imposters will be gone in 3 years