Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-23-2016, 06:36 PM

Default Truck thru the Ice

I was at Carson today , a couple of guys tried to drive thru the channel between the 2 sides of the lake on the north end of the peninsula , front end broke thru . Be careful , if you don't know the lake it's probably not a good idea to drive around on it
Old 02-24-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kargor View Post
I was at Carson today , a couple of guys tried to drive thru the channel between the 2 sides of the lake on the north end of the peninsula , front end broke thru . Be careful , if you don't know the lake it's probably not a good idea to drive around on it
I hear you. Although Carson's isn't a small channel as compared to other lakes, you always have to be carful going though "pinch" points on a lake. Remember a lake is just a really wide part of the river system in the area. It has a water source and a water outlet. Therefore who knows what currents there are in those locations and how much and in what locations the ice is being eroded or failing to freeze as much as the main parts of a lake. Island Lake and Baptist Lake are prime examples of having "pinch" point locations.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:50 PM

Honestly I am surprised there haven't been more reported trucks through the ice on lakes this year although maybe there are and we just haven't heard about lots of them. Cold Lake in particular, I figured for sure there would be a few trucks go through up there, guess people have been smarter on that lake then some of these other ones this year.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:17 PM

I seen a pic of a jeep dropping one wheel through on Cold Lake less than a week ago. Sounds like he drove over a pressure ridge or something and a front tire broke though. He needed to be pulled out. I canceled my trip up there this year because of the uncertainty of the ice conditions.

I think the lakers could use a break anyway.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:37 PM

I just make sure someone with a diesel leads the way.