Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-05-2009, 12:21 PM

To Chris K and others.
I appreciate your enthusiasm as far as propping the boat correctly. However, you could not be any more incorrect in you assessment of trim tabs. Even small recreational boats will benefit from trim tabs and in particular nauticus trim tabs 100% of the time - right prop, wrong prop, whatever. Performance will always increase, always.

Yes a properly set up boat should run well, with min porpoising, good handling, etc. That same boat will run BETTER with trim tabs. Guaranteed.

I have been using and selling all brands of trim tabs for years and can attest to their effectiveness. some people speculate, some people put it to the test...thoroughly.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater44 View Post
To Chris K and others.
I appreciate your enthusiasm as far as propping the boat correctly. However, you could not be any more incorrect in you assessment of trim tabs. Even small recreational boats will benefit from trim tabs and in particular nauticus trim tabs 100% of the time - right prop, wrong prop, whatever. Performance will always increase, always.

Yes a properly set up boat should run well, with min porpoising, good handling, etc. That same boat will run BETTER with trim tabs. Guaranteed.

I have been using and selling all brands of trim tabs for years and can attest to their effectiveness. some people speculate, some people put it to the test...thoroughly.
Why then, in your opinion, are trim tabs not OEM equipment, or for that matter, a more popular add-on in the recreational boat market?

Waxy
Old 06-05-2009, 06:02 PM

From what I have read the props you put on will get you out of the hole quick and give you the high speed if that's what your looking for. But motor height, trim tabs, and whale tails will usually fix your on plane and porpoising problems. It did with my 17ft. Sylvan., Whale tail on leg on engine. 150 2-stroke
Old 02-23-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoors forever View Post
I am actually mystified when I hear about guys fishing Cutbank all day and not catching a thing......................

How are you fishing??

My daughters and I went out last night to do a few things around the cabin, fished for a few hours, landed 6, missed another 5 strikes and took three really nice walleye home. And we weren't even giving it a huge effort!

My advice - CHANGE UP YOUR HOOKS! The fish are there, its figuring out what they are responding to. We will go through jig heads, spoons, rattlers, swedish pimples, teardrops, etc. and go from very aggressive jigging to light bumps - eventually we figure it out.

That, and fishing prime time. Fish 8:30 - 12:00 in the morning and 4:30 - after dark in the afternoon.

Just my thoughts, and this is for everywhere, not just Cutbank..........

This guy knows what he's talking about, we stayed in his cabins on cutbank, we were there from fri to Monday, brought our limit home 3 guys and caught perch, burbs, wallys, pike. Bite was slow Saturday but rest of wknd was awesome..
Old 02-23-2016, 09:17 AM

How this post made it in this thread is beyond me, was posted in joussard thread..
Old 02-23-2016, 09:27 AM
Banned

Default Check the motor height first .

If you bought that boat in Alberta from a dealer there's a 50/50
Chance of improper installation. I have always had better luck
With a little bigger prop but that pushing water generally isn't
A prop problem .my .02
Old 02-23-2016, 10:57 AM

Lol
Old 02-23-2016, 11:51 AM

Great info. Although I did not have any issues with my boat I did install a hydrofoil. I find it does help plane quicker and keeps plane longer at lower speeds. And easy to install
Old 02-23-2016, 02:26 PM

Give Stu at call at Propmasters in Airdrie.

He will let you know exactly what prop you need, will have it in stock and will ship it out to you asap.

Great guy to deal with and has been in bus. for years.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:48 PM

Great idea Troller. I was looking for a back up prop and he let me take out a couple to try out and keep the one I wanted and returned the other. Of course as long as it was in damaged
Old 02-23-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardfromedson View Post
i found a product on cabelas.Nauticus Smart Tabs™ - Self-Adjusting Trim Tabs for 130 bucks. will these work or do you need the pricy hydrolic/electric type tabs? also, i have never done it so i have to ask. how hard is it to adjust motor height?? my boat is in storage so i can't look at where its set. anyone else out there with a sylvan/ smokercraft with porposing issues??
I put Smart tabs on our Lund, same issues, poor hole shot, could hardly get on step with three people without one sitting up at the front.. Tried a set of SmartTabs jumps on plane and stay on plane at a slow speed, no more playing with the trim... They work!