Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Elnino54

Default Stupid Turkeys ?? Not !

Once again I got foiled by those 'not so stupid Turkeys' on two seperate occasions/locations yesterday. I walked up on different Turkeys and was unable to get them close enough for a shot........thankfully we're not halfway through the month. Does anyone know if it gets tougher or easier as the month proceeds ??????? Thx.

Frustrated.....
Old 05-09-2007, 03:20 PM
Okotokian

Hey, don't despair. I don't know much about turkey hunting, but from what I hear, if you are at least finding them, you are ahead of the game!
Old 05-09-2007, 03:55 PM
davem

I find that if the turkeys haven't been hunted they get much easier as teh season goes on as the hens are no longer breeding btu the tom's are as horny as every, much easier to lure them in. On the other hand if they get hunted hard and survive to late in the season they can be very call shy and sometimes the only way to get them is to ambush them.

dave
Old 05-12-2007, 06:36 AM
use decoys for better late season ambush

Default use decoys for better late season ambush

I use decoys all season and I must say in the late season with using a hand call and a mouth call in the same calling sequence along with a gobble call and standing some decoys out about 50-75 yards and placing a tom decoy back about 40 yards from them if there is a tom within hearing range they come ready for war and LOVE! they will be there and usually have so much on their mind that they will not be looking for you.

This has worked for me very well the last 10+ years. I carry 4 decoys and 6-8 differebt calls in my pack so they sound different and look inviting.