Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-14-2007, 09:23 AM
mjmalberta

Default antelope

does anyone know how this works i put in for antelope around here every year for the past three years there are a couple of guides who work in the same area now a fellow from ont. comes up to do some bird shooting with the guide limits out after a few days gets bored and asks the guide if he can go get an antelope the guide says sure pays the extra money and voila goes out and they get an antelope how is it that i wait n wait and he can just come here and get to go out any info would be helpfull thanx
Old 05-14-2007, 09:50 AM
sheep hunter

If the outfitter has non-resident tags he can take the guy hunting that way. Non-residents don't need to go through the draw process if they hunt through a licenced outfitter that has the appropriate tags. It makes it easier for the outfitter to plan their year. They know exactly how many clients they will take out for each species and it makes it easier for the visiting hunter as they can plan well in advance, even years in advance, and not have to wait for draw results.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:21 PM
Okotokian

So Sheep, are you saying outfitters don't have to go through the draw system, they just get tags? I'm confused, and don't want to start throwing around accusations before I know what the heck is going on.

If I couldn't get a draw, could I go with an outfitter, or are those reserved for people outside the province?
Old 05-14-2007, 05:36 PM
sheep hunter

Outfitter's clients don't have to go through the draw process. Those tags are for use by non residents only. Outfitters themselves must follow the same rules for draws as any other resident hunter for their personal hunting.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:20 PM
Jamie Hunt

Isnt that a ****er.
I hate the fact that Albertans cant buy tags off of Outfitters.
Seems grossly unfair. Both to the Outfitter and to Sportsmen of Alberta.
I just dont see why they cant change it, who the heck cares who shoots the Deer/Elk/Sheep/Lope/Moose
STUPID RULE

Jamie
Old 05-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Craftyhunter

My understanding of the rule is to make sure money comes into the province as opposed to just circulating inside. Foriegn investment in any form is healthy for the economy. But thats off topic.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Jamie Hunt

Crafty, yes it is off topic, but not that far off.
When this STUPID rule first came to my attention, I was thinking about all the unused tags that could be bought off of the outfitters. However your statement made me think a bit. I still say unused tags could be bought and that out of province $$ is not as important as it once was here in Alberta.(From Hunting)
The little places we all stop when hunting don’t care where the $$ came from and a person from Calgary will spend the same amount on hotels and meals that someone from New York will.
I find the whole thing discriminatory against people from Alberta.
AND IT STILL TICKS ME OFF!!

Jamie
Old 05-15-2007, 09:53 AM
mjmalberta

Default antelope

so whos in charge of saying how many each outfitter gets cause that just sucks we wait for years at the chance and someone from out of the province just says hey i want an antelope pays his money and its a done deal i think we should get this one changed make everyone do the draw not just the residents i know in bc everyone has to put in for a draw resident nonresident alike that way everone has the same chance
Old 05-15-2007, 10:00 AM
sheep hunter

Quote:
i know in bc everyone has to put in for a draw resident nonresident alike that way everone has the same chance

Not so mjm....if you go with a licenced outfitter in BC you can also sidestep the draw process for the species they have in their area. In fact, non residents can't even put in for most draws in BC they must go through an outfitter to get a licence.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Jamie Hunt

Quote:
in bc everyone has to put in for a draw resident nonresident alike that way everone has the same chance
I like the idea that the outfitters here in Alberta and BC get the chance to book these hunts years in advance. Makes good Biz sense. Just let Albertains have a run at these tags and all will be good. (in that department)

How many tags is another discusion altogether

Jamie
Old 05-15-2007, 07:34 PM
Rackmastr

Jamie,
I know exaclty what your gripe is no doubt.....and I can see some Alberta outfitters selling some discounted hunts....but do you really think many Albertans would pay $4500-8000 for deer hunts, elk hunts, etc when they can do the hunt themselves for about $100 and a few years wait?
I know what ya mean...and un-used permits arent really hard to come by, but they also aint too cheap, especially for really good trophy areas.
I guess its also a mix of outfitters who will take Alberta residents, and some that wont...mainly due to access, showing the secrets of a zone, etc....there are a good number out there that will guide residents though....however you have to use your own permit of course...
Old 05-15-2007, 09:26 PM
prairieboy

Quote:
I know exaclty what your gripe is no doubt.....and I can see some Alberta outfitters selling some discounted hunts....but do you really think many Albertans would pay $4500-8000 for deer hunts, elk hunts, etc when they can do the hunt themselves for about $100 and a few years wait?
Well since the Alberta resident only needs the tag to hunt,the outfitter does not need to supply the guide,the sleeping accomodations or the equipment.The outfitter could simply sell the tags for the amount that he would normally profit on the fully guided hunt.That way,the outfitter makes the same profit,with less hassle,and the Alberta resident gets the tags for a reduced rate.Everyone wins.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Rackmastr

True that PB....true that.

I wonder why this hasnt been talked about more? Makes sense really when ya talk it out like that....
Old 05-15-2007, 10:31 PM
sheep hunter

If I'm not mistaken, residents are now allowed to take advantage of outfitter permits in BC. I think this just happened in the past couple years.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:48 PM
Jamie Hunt

It might even drive up the costs of hunts. (More demand)

Good comments

Jamie