Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-15-2007, 08:54 AM
OutdoorChet

Default Draw Information Archives

The "Hunting in Alberta - Alberta Sustainable Resources" website used to have information about last years draw results as well as many years previous. It appears that the government has made some major changes to its website and I cannot find this information. The new website contains very little hunting information. Perhaps it is their intention to include it on the WinRelm website but currently it isn't there either. I have found this info to be very useful in planning my draw strategy in the past. Does anyone know where to find it?

Thanks,
Chet
Old 05-15-2007, 09:35 AM
sheep hunter

www.srd.gov.ab.ca/fishwil...mmary.aspx
Old 05-15-2007, 09:45 AM
OutdoorChet

Thanks Sheephunter,

I don't know why I couldn't find that yesterday.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:50 AM
sheep hunter

They did manage to really hide it on the new page....not very user friendly.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:52 AM
OutdoorChet

Interesting that the 408 Archery Sheep draw was down to 6 tags last year.... just when you think you're getting closer....
Old 05-15-2007, 09:57 AM
sheep hunter

Ya and with 172 still with top priority it does make for some long odds. Oh well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:14 AM
OutdoorChet

I won't be in your way this year as I'm forced to 999 after having success with the firestick last year. Thank goodness the 999 is an option on those sheep draws after you've harvested one the year before. What a shame it would be to be unable to apply at all - effectively eliminating you from the draw due to not gaining priority. I remember your arcticle a few years back that was suggesting that option... I'm glad it didn't fall on deaf ears.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:18 AM
sheep hunter

Ya no kidding Chet. I had a buddy that had to miss out applying for 408 the first year because they hadn't changed that yet. Now he'll likely never draw a 408 tag. It hardly seems fair. I know I had to 999 a couple years ago because of shooting a ram as well but it sure was nice not to get behind in priority.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Brady

I think there was a few people that sent letters in about that issue, Chet. Not sure if they directly resulted in the 999 option, but like you said, nice to see that someone listened to the requests.

That SRD site is confusing to me. Thanx for the link there Sheep, I will bookmark it so I can go right to the hunting in Alberta page.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:27 AM
OutdoorChet

Brady,

Glad to hear some letters went in.... I'm guilty of riding the coat-tails on that one.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:02 PM
Blakeinator2

Question for ya fella's, i've not put in much for draws at all but figure i better start..i have should get my cow moose this year but thats all i've ever gone after so far. So your mid thirty something and you think you should be putting in for a sheep draw somewhere...am i reading this right that the 410 is my best chance in this lifetime?

Blake
Old 05-15-2007, 03:20 PM
OutdoorChet

Thats a tough call Blake,

If I was starting out with no priority I would either go in the 410 November Archery because you still have a chance to build prioirty and get drawn in a reasonable amount of time or go in 438 as it does not have priority associated with it. Your chances of getting drawn in 438 are low, but they are just as good as everyone else's.

Chet
Old 05-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Blakeinator2

Oh, and i bet i can only choose one or the other to build in right?

B
Old 05-15-2007, 04:39 PM
OutdoorChet

That's right... one application only.

As for as the new Sustainable Resources website... As sheephunter noted they do have the information pretty well hidden. Maybe I'm just a paranoid hunter but it sure seems like the government tries to keep hunting on the "down low". Fishing info is pretty obvious on there as are the rest of the more politically correct topics. I might be reading too much into this but I don't like it when the hunting seems like something our government reluctantly allows.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:41 PM
sheep hunter

Yes, I noticed that too Chet......you really had to look just to find the hunting section
Old 05-15-2007, 08:49 PM
buckshoot

I'm figuring for most of the trophy sheep draws I am just as far ahead to put my draw fee in a jar every year, then i should be able to buy a guided hunt about the same time I would have gotten drawn:lol
Old 05-16-2007, 12:09 AM
Brady

There you go Chet, that would make a good letter right there. Tell the minister and your mLA your thoughts on this new site. Short and sweet, and they will know just how Chet feels about this, and Brady too, cause I will send a letter as well.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Blakeinator2

"That's right... one application only."

Thanks Chet.

Well, since i'm primarily a bowhunter anyhow i'm getting into this as much for the scenery and the whole experience as anything else i'm going to go for the 410 draw. Getting an absolute cranker is just not very high on my priority list as it is to just get out and chase them...anything legal for first one and then maybe i'll get a bit more fussy as the years go by and by the time i get my 410 draw i should be real nice and fussy for a good one and i'll want the added challenge of getting a big one with the bow by that piont anyhow so timing should work out perfectly. Thanks again.

Blake
Old 05-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Lazy Ike

Default archives

I've seen some gaggers in 410 Blake. If I hunted bow that would be my first choice.

Those archives can be REAL depressing when you factor in your priority, with the animals you've seen are in the wmu that you can't hunt for another 5 years.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Blakeinator2

Default Re: archives

Thanks Lazy Ike,

I like challenges so i love general season stuff. I've always tried to avoid the draw thing...almost a principal thing for me and one of the main reasons i took up bowhunting for my big game stuff...so i could hunt more critters for longer periods without much fuss...i really do love the 'hunt' part of the equation....size is a secondary goal for me and i'm not generally too fussy in that department . I'm happy as a pig in poop that i can try for them on a general tag and regular season even though its not as hot as the draw. Good to know crankers will be in there, should be ready to try one on by the time i get the draw.

Part way into Nowicki's book right now...loving it. Pretty neat to see how big these guys can get...and i fully understand his points about sheep hunters tend to chase them year round if only to look at them alot of the time....as they can't get enough of even just looking at them. I sure find myself staring at the pics of those big ones an aweful long time. I'm so looking forward to getting out there.

Blake
Old 05-17-2007, 12:37 PM
OutdoorChet

Blake,

I think 410 is a good choice for you. You can hunt it lots in the early season as you build priority since you live close to it and by the time you are drawn you should have good knowledge of the zone. Who knows.... you may even connect there with your bow before you get drawn. Bring your pepper spray.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:45 PM
sheep hunter

It's been a long time since I've seen a big ram in 410 but there are more legal rams than a few years ago that's for sure. Chet makes a good point and in reality, 410 is the only archery zone you have a chance of drawing in your lifetime. Unless you are in the top two priority pools in 408, forget it. Keep an eye out though, there are likely to be more draws pop up over the years.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:48 PM
RockyMtnx

I was misfortunate enough to drop out of the running last year. I decide to take my chance and started applying for another draw.

Good luck to you guys!
Old 05-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Blakeinator2

I'll be watching the draw thing from now on...interesting stuff. I can see this sheep hunting thing holding a guys attention for a good long while.

Love the pepper spray comment Chet....understood.:lol

Blake