Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-15-2012, 11:04 PM

Default Powder shortage

I keep hearing from people here and out at the ranges they are having difficult times getting some powders and are even heard a WSS staff member tell a bunch of customers that there is a powder shortage. These guys just keep digging themselves a big hole
Old 07-16-2012, 12:03 AM

Default ya heard

There is always a difference between a powder shortage and a supply shortage, supply shortages are common a WSS esp on powder ever since the change over to new ownwership./ FS
Old 07-16-2012, 09:30 AM

We just got in a bunch pf powder in a big bulk order, no shortage from what I can see.
in smaller quantities, a particular store may be out, but others mayhave the powder you are looking for.
like Faststeel says, suppoly shortage is not the same as a product shortage!
I checked thre stores on Thursday for some whitre bix .223 for buddy, everyone said there was none , EXCEPT Wayne at the Dapp Corner store - he had lots!
Cat
Old 07-16-2012, 09:50 AM

A powder shortage is what the wankers at WSS make up when they are trying to make excuses for being crappy at inventory control.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post
A powder shortage is what the wankers at WSS make up when they are trying to make excuses for being crappy at inventory control.
X2

Lethbridge location has been out of most powders since last fall it seems. They have a great selection of bullets, probably due to the fact they have no powder!
Old 07-16-2012, 12:13 PM

There is definitely better places to buy power loading and shooting supplies than Bass Pro, Wholesale Sports, and Cabelas. Small places that appreciate your business.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:06 PM

Not of use but the bass pro near Toronto surprisingly enough, has always have at least a few lbs of every power I use... I've never once been left hanging there...

What is rediculous was I was placing an order from Cabelas and they told me for 3lbs of powder shipping was a total of $150 as it was a dangerous good. I remember a year ago they just shipped it via Canpar and I had it within 2-3 days and it was the same price as their normal shipping costs.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Not of use but the bass pro near Toronto surprisingly enough, has always have at least a few lbs of every power I use... I've never once been left hanging there...

What is rediculous was I was placing an order from Cabelas and they told me for 3lbs of powder shipping was a total of $150 as it was a dangerous good. I remember a year ago they just shipped it via Canpar and I had it within 2-3 days and it was the same price as their normal shipping costs.
IU fyou get some buddyies together and order 21 lbs. Andrew and tom higginson will ship it from Hawksbury ONT. and a the HAZMAT charges.
prices are good as well.

Cat
Old 07-16-2012, 02:52 PM

It's pretty rare that WSS actually has anything im looking for, in stock.

After being thoroughly disappointed in their stock, I've since referred to wholesale as ; joke sale sports, and/or no-sale sports..

Its pretty unfortunate for them, because I'm always spending my money elsewhere!
Old 07-16-2012, 06:32 PM

I see there's a plug in the forum for Fly's etc in High River. I'd like to make a plug for Raynershine Gunworks in Redcliff, Alberta. He has lots of supplies at great prices. If there's something he doesn't have, he'll order it in right away. Actual service, not just "take a number" service that you get at the big stores.

PM me if you'd like the contact info.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMisler View Post
It's pretty rare that WSS actually has anything im looking for, in stock.

After being thoroughly disappointed in their stock, I've since referred to wholesale as ; joke sale sports, and/or no-sale sports..

Its pretty unfortunate for them, because I'm always spending my money elsewhere!
X2
Old 07-16-2012, 11:53 PM

get some people together and order a bulk shipment from Higginson's powders...even if you can't get enough volume to have them eat the HAZMAT fee it is still better than driving all over Alberta scrounging up a pound here and a pound there. They are quick, priced well and good business folks to deal with.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:30 AM

I've always had great luck at Backcountry Supplies in Camrose 780-672-1911.
If they don't have it they will make the effort to get it in for you, and for the fellow charcoal burners they carry a ready supply of GOEX stock.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:10 AM

No shortage when ordering from Higginson.

There are no absolutes