Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-09-2012, 08:25 PM

Default 8 guage

Looking to find an 8 guage.
Is there any out there and are they for sale.
Pics of any would be good for sale or not.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:31 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=140034

One for trade here for a few minutes yesterday. I would love to see some pictures as well.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:38 PM

Maybe he could let us know who it was sold to. Lot of first time, just joined posters with some very out of the ordinary stuff. Call me suspicious, but disprove me and we can meet for coffee and I'll apologize.

Grizz
Old 07-09-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Maybe he could let us know who it was sold to. Lot of first time, just joined posters with some very out of the ordinary stuff. Call me suspicious, but disprove me and we can meet for coffee and I'll apologize.

Grizz
+1
Old 07-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Banned

+2
Old 07-09-2012, 11:45 PM

EIGHT gauge?????? Don't you mean "shoulder-mounted cannon"? I've never seen one before.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:41 PM

I was under the impression that 8 guage was not allowed? I am not an expert on the subject FYI, just remember some English friends wanting to bring them to pass shoot geese on some trips, but couldn't. Is it just a provincial hunting regulation or is it a CCC prohibition (I could look it up, but I am lazy).

I would love to have an old english double 8 ga. for pass shooting geese and ducks, to go with a English wool trencher and a Grand Peterson pipe.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Banned

I am still looking for a market gun to mount to my boat.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:01 PM

There was one posted on the EE board on CGN (yes I know it isnt AO and you guys are a way better crowd) It lasted less than 20 minutes and I missed the asking/selling price.
You can not use one legally to hunt migratory game birds with one in Canada in its 8 gauge configuration.
A gun store owner here in BC on Fraser St.bought one from an estate sale.
He tried to get permission to shoot one while hunting, but was unable to with the 8gauge ammo he has...
He eventually had a shell machined from brass to accept a 10 gauge round so that he could go and shoot it.. and shoot it he did.
It was a heavy pig and was of little use as a marsh gun over decoys...
I have only seen two ever posted for sale either locally or on the internet in Canada.
Tight Chokes Boys.
Rob
Old 07-10-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
There was one posted on the EE board on CGN (yes I know it isnt AO and you guys are a way better crowd) It lasted less than 20 minutes and I missed the asking/selling price.
You can not use one legally to hunt migratory game birds with one in Canada in its 8 gauge configuration.
A gun store owner here in BC on Fraser St.bought one from an estate sale.
He tried to get permission to shoot one while hunting, but was unable to with the 8gauge ammo he has...
He eventually had a shell machined from brass to accept a 10 gauge round so that he could go and shoot it.. and shoot it he did.
It was a heavy pig and was of little use as a marsh gun over decoys...
I have only seen two ever posted for sale either locally or on the internet in Canada.
Tight Chokes Boys.
Rob
The only 8 gauge shells I've ever seen were not intended for shooting, but were for some kind of foundry procedure. Not sure of exactly what that entailed.

Grizz
Old 07-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
The only 8 gauge shells I've ever seen were not intended for shooting, but were for some kind of foundry procedure. Not sure of exactly what that entailed.

Grizz
Nock slag off the walls of furnaces I think CIL made the shells. My question is what kind of shell was used to start old radial aircraft engines?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
Nock slag off the walls of furnaces I think CIL made the shells. My question is what kind of shell was used to start old radial aircraft engines?
I think those were 8gauge as well but they may have been ten, can't remember exactly -
And yup, the 8 gauge C.I.L. industrial rounds were fired from a frame mounted gun for kilns, etc, for knocking off the build up.
Cat
Old 07-10-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:

Grizz
Many moons ago, my Dad worked in a copper smelter for Noranda, and he used a tripod mounted 8 guage to blast the slag off the walls ofthe furnace.

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:28 PM

I have one of the old foundry shells, think I got it at an Edmonton gun show
Old 07-13-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I think those were 8gauge as well but they may have been ten, can't remember exactly -
And yup, the 8 gauge C.I.L. industrial rounds were fired from a frame mounted gun for kilns, etc, for knocking off the build up.
Cat
Yes and when they hit boy do they make a hole! Not much of a "gun" more like a big block of metal weighing 50+ pounds with tripod and all

AL
Old 07-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Banned

I have an old book somewhere if I can find it that has info and pics of the 8 guage. If I only knew where it was. Hhhhmmmmm.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:00 PM

Default 8 gauge Davenport

I am the guy who had the 8 gauge for sale and I will get some pictures on here to show it to you. I had it for 30 yrs sitting in a closet at my brothers house. Finally got him to mail it to me and I put it on 3 websites. I had so many emails and offers etc that it nearly drove me crazy. I sold it to a guy in whitehorse for a lot more than was listed due to the interest. I will get some pictures up here as soon as I get him to send me my own pictures back. I always delete sold guns pictures asap because I hate looking at them later and kicking my self for selling them. It has a 36 in barrel and the only 8 gauge ammo I could ever find was the blue hulled CIL hulls that were used in industrial smokestacks. They would not fit the Davenport because they had a
large oversized rim. Elwood Epps himself sold them to me about 30 yrs ago.
A very interesting man he was,had met all the famous writers like Page,OConnor,Keith and Ruark. He said OConnor was very cranky.haha
I never got to fire it and I regret that. I wanted to shoot one goose with it just to be able to say that I had but it didnt happen.
All of new guys are not scammers,I have a very good rep and am well known
on another site. Why did I sell it? I am seriously ill and sold all my guns and stuff. Hard but I cant leave that kind of a situation to my wife who doesnt even
like guns or have a PAL. Dont know why I ever married her! HaHaHA
Old 07-15-2012, 02:03 PM

I will answer private messages on emails on its whereabouts and you are welcome to try and buy it from him if you want. Good Luck!!!
Old 07-16-2012, 12:37 PM

Default 8 gauge pics

OK, I have my pics of my old 8 gauge on my email again and will send them to anyone who asks me for them.
If I knew how to get them from my email and post them on here I would be happy to, but I am an old guy-not very computer savvy and dont know how. If anyone can tell me how-in simple terms-I would be happy to do it.
Or I will send someone the pics by email and you can post them for me.
Anyone???