Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-12-2012, 02:08 AM

Question Im looking for a good pellet gun...

What would you guys/gals recommend for a good pellet gun? I want something accurate and decent quality. I am looking for something with a little more punch than a .177, is it worth going to a .22 cal pellet gun? Any info on these guns would be great. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2012, 05:56 AM

What is the intended purpose of the gun, and what is your budget? Is this to be a gun that requires a PAL or not?
Old 07-12-2012, 08:56 AM

Default don't buy junk

Take a look at Specialty Shooting Sports in BC best prices on quality German made guns.Hans Weihrauch and RWS. A good .22 is an RWS 34 at about $250 or top drawer HW 80/.22 at $550........I have both........Harold
Old 07-13-2012, 12:21 AM

I have used them as well, great Customer service!

I have three PAL spring piston Rifles my two favorites are the Ruger Air Hawk Elite (16 ft/lbs) that one was so finiky but i have it all set up now and can to 1/4" groups at 20 meters (10.3 grains)picked that one up from Bass pro in Calgary

My next favorite is teh Benjamin NP XL1100
http://www.specialtyshootingsportsou...prod_2045.html
I can do about the same groupings with this at the same range though this one is making 25ft/lbs (17.3 grain sliver arrows)
Old 07-13-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecngsr View Post
I have used them as well, great Customer service!

I have three PAL spring piston Rifles my two favorites are the Ruger Air Hawk Elite (16 ft/lbs) that one was so finiky but i have it all set up now and can to 1/4" groups at 20 meters (10.3 grains)picked that one up from Bass pro in Calgary

My next favorite is teh Benjamin NP XL1100
http://www.specialtyshootingsportsou...prod_2045.html
I can do about the same groupings with this at the same range though this one is making 25ft/lbs (17.3 grain sliver arrows)
So will a pellet gun shoot groups like this all day long or is there modifications that need to be done? Interesting.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:14 AM

Best place I find to buy a pellet gun is:

http://www.dlairgun.com/
Old 07-13-2012, 05:53 PM

Default check out SSSO

Specialty Shooting Sports in Creston seems to have something for every purpose and budget. I was looking for something high quality but inexpensive (haha.) so I phoned them up turns out they sometimes carry factory refurbished RWS/Diana piston rifles. They spent a few minutes figuring out the right model for what I needed, delivered by mail, then when there was an issue with it, they worked hard to make it right. Excellent customer service.

I got a RWS 350 Mag I think it might have the best trigger in my safe, it's super accurate with the open sights, hits pretty hard inside 100 ft, nice wood, etc.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
So will a pellet gun shoot groups like this all day long or is there modifications that need to be done? Interesting.
with my Ruger it took new mount that had a .025" rear elivation to account for barrel droop, a lot of shooting to break it in with the lighter weight pellets (7.3grain) it will break the sound barrier sometimes when it does the shot is not very accurate. after a tin of pellets out in the sun it will be less likely to diesel (oil combusting causes the round to go supersonic) then it was very accuate. can make one hole 10 shot groups all day with the odd flyer. hardest part is testing all kinds of pellets till you find the one that it likes best......... i have around 40 or more tins of different weights brand and the like
Old 07-13-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecngsr View Post
with my Ruger it took new mount that had a .025" rear elivation to account for barrel droop, a lot of shooting to break it in with the lighter weight pellets (7.3grain) it will break the sound barrier sometimes when it does the shot is not very accurate. after a tin of pellets out in the sun it will be less likely to diesel (oil combusting causes the round to go supersonic) then it was very accuate. can make one hole 10 shot groups all day with the odd flyer. hardest part is testing all kinds of pellets till you find the one that it likes best......... i have around 40 or more tins of different weights brand and the like
Do you do trigger work? How often does the barrel require cleaning. How much more noise is there on super sonic?
Old 07-13-2012, 08:49 PM

Try the Diana or RWS. I have a .22 Diana mod 240, beautiful little unit at 495.....works great on magpies.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-13-2012, 09:40 PM

on that one i have not, have been thinking about doing one on the NP XL1100 but likely wont as i have gotten used to it and now know how to work with it and get great results.

As for cleaning not very often just a little pellet gun oil in the compresion chamber after 500-1000 shots and the noise when it goes supersonic is that of a .22LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Do you do trigger work? How often does the barrel require cleaning. How much more noise is there on super sonic?
Old 07-13-2012, 09:41 PM

Default corrvids

Should see what the HW80K/.22 and JBS predator pellets do to magpies + crows.They run about 750 fps and double in diameter on impact. Great pellet..........Harold
Old 07-13-2012, 09:45 PM

I have not used the preditor polly mags, but have seen them used and are probably thee best pellet, so long as your rifle likes them
Old 07-14-2012, 05:19 PM

Talking

I was thinking of getting an air rifle also, mainly to work on my shooting accuracy in an economical fashion (and not making too much noise...). I tried shooting trap last weekend and really liked it, and was told that practicing with an air rifle would be beneficial. Do they still make Daisy air rifles? I read about them in a book and the guy really liked his ( of course, the book was written ages ago...)

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 07-16-2012, 07:21 AM

I went online and purchased the Benjamin NP XL 1100 .22 - Very excited!

Ill let you know how I like it.