Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-16-2012, 12:34 AM

Default Old Remington Model 31 makeover, what ya think?

First post here. Been reading for a while but never actually posted. Awesome site guys. Look forward to doing more on here. Hope this is ok as my first post.

My wife and I plan to do some good old backwoods camping, Just us, the dogs and not a soul for miles. Of course we need protection with us as well.
I was going to buy a new Mossberg 500A1 as it holds 7+1 but at $500 its a bit more than I want to spend now. So I'm hoping 4+1 in the tube will suffice in the event of a bear attack.

I got this old Remmy 31 from an auction in Edmonton for $180 and decided to make it in to a bush gun for personal protection from bears. We should be ok as all of our food is canned/dry and will be locked up in a cooler which will be in our truck.

I took the whole thing apart, cleaned up and re-blued components. I then cut the barrel down to 18 and 3/4 Inch to be on the safe side when it comes to legal crap. I used a method I found on another forum and gave her a camo paint job. I used Krylon Camouflage and a couple coats of matte sealer. I wanted to do a writeup but my camera was dead. I'll do another next time I paint a gun as I am so impressed with the results that I do plan to do it again.

Still plan to make a soft foam butt cover as I also cut down the stock a tiny bit so its more comfortable to shoulder, still within legal length limits though. Also plan on making and mounting a sling on her.
The ammo will obviously be slugs and I plan to get some type of optic mounted on her to put the lead on target. Anyone have any ideas as to what a good yet inexpensive optic would be? or would a laser suffice? I want something that makes it an easy point and shoot gun. An aftermarket ironsight setup would be ideal but I have not seen anything like that on the market.

The original (not my pic but its what she looked like)

After the makeover

I will update once I decide on optics and put a sling on her. So far I'm happy with the performance of this shotgun though.

Last edited by tango71; 07-16-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:11 AM

Real slick, Tango. I would be very interested in knowing the method behind the paint job, it looks great!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy View Post
I would be very interested in knowing the method behind the paint job, it looks great!
X2 , looking good!