Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-01-2008, 09:59 AM

Default calling black bears?

I never tried calling bears but seen it done on a dvd.Any of you guys have luck doing this?If so how did you set up on them? In a tree ? Near a water source?Around good rabbit spots or beaver dams?I don`t have a hunting partner on this one and no time to bait.It seems my hunting buddies don`t find bear hunting as fun as i do Any help would be great.thanx
Old 04-01-2008, 10:15 AM

I haven't tried it myself but I will be this spring...

I haven't found much info on calling bears but I have heard that using a fawn in distress call works good compared to a rabbit in distress...

Let us know if you dig anything up.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:59 AM

Wayne Carlton had a good video on calling black bears.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:22 PM

www.gamecalls.net had some good advice.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:18 PM

Don't know how it well it works but another thing you can try is to put some bear attractant on the bottom of your buddies boots. A friend of mine did that to a fellow that he took out on his first bear hunt a couple of years ago. Needless to say, it was an exciting night in the bear stand........and this is a friend I won't ever do a bear hunt with.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarCreek View Post
Don't know how it well it works but another thing you can try is to put some bear attractant on the bottom of your buddies boots. A friend of mine did that to a fellow that he took out on his first bear hunt a couple of years ago. Needless to say, it was an exciting night in the bear stand........and this is a friend I won't ever do a bear hunt with.
Don`t sound very friendly to me.Maybe he needs some sow in heat on the seat of his stand!lol Just tell him to play dead and maybe the boar will lose intrest.lol
Old 04-03-2008, 07:35 PM

Default Calling black bears

Both fawn in distress and rabbit squealers work great. It is similar to calling any predator except bears typically don't respond with any noise, like coyotes do ( howling etc.)

We called 2 in last year from 1/2 mile away, they came in like they were on a string. Remember they will typically come in down wind. Shot the one at 20 feet. The other around 100 yrds.

Don't call to much as bear are like coyotes and can pinpoint sounds and squeaks to within 10yrds from 1/4 mile. Watch them; call as required if they loose interest.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300WSM View Post
Both fawn in distress and rabbit squealers work great. It is similar to calling any predator except bears typically don't respond with any noise, like coyotes do ( howling etc.)

We called 2 in last year from 1/2 mile away, they came in like they were on a string. Remember they will typically come in down wind. Shot the one at 20 feet. The other around 100 yrds.

Don't call to much as bear are like coyotes and can pinpoint sounds and squeaks to within 10yrds from 1/4 mile. Watch them; call as required if they loose interest.
Do you set up in a feild? in a tree?Pipe lines?
Old 04-04-2008, 04:37 PM

Default Calling bears

Set up how ever suits you situation, all the above work well. A treestand works to but does not allow you to pursue the animal if it hangs up. I use ground blinds, it's whatever you got. However bear are not like coyotes (from my experience) in that they are not leery to come to a call. They are the biggest predator ( to there knowledge). So coverage is not as important as smell masking.

You will find though that if you are in griz country the blacks will either come in very, very slow, or extremely fast (1/2 mile in seconds). That will depend purely on if the grizz have scared them off a kill before.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:41 PM

Default Calling Bears

The two bears last year, we were 50yrds from the end of a cutline looking into a slash area, no blind no nothing. They must have just been hungry.