Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-26-2008, 06:49 PM

Default First time Bowhunting help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi guys, new member here. I want to start bow hunting and I don't know where to start. I need a bow to start off with but I don't know whether to go recurve or compound. I want a bow that isn't cluttered with a lot of gadgets; a sight and some string mufflers that is probably it. I've been to wholesales sports and tried "a" bow. the guy there didn't know anything and a very poor selection. I've jim bows is a good place to go, I will probably go there next time. Can anybody help with suggestions, advice anything.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:52 PM

if your in the edmonton area try dan out at trophy book in spruce grove or even jim at pipestone both are great guys to talk to.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:53 PM

Go check out sherwood park archery there all good guys in there .
Old 03-26-2008, 07:05 PM

Sorry I forgot to mention i am in the calgary area. And i am pretty regular build so i can handle most bow poundage weights
Old 03-26-2008, 08:32 PM

Default whether to go recurve or compound?

Hi, Welcome,
The question comes down to time you have to get aquainted with the bow you choose. Advise is great but it comes down to you practicing and tuning.
The recurve is a wonderful choice of light weight simpicity but she needs a few hundred if not thousand arrows run down her to get the group...[some people are natural shooters] and of coarse each is different.
A compound set-up by a pro will be grouping in hrs. still you need form work + practice,ect, but not the commitment a stick bow is.

Bear season next month > go compound....elk in August > start with either bow today you got time....chain
Old 03-26-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
Sorry I forgot to mention i am in the calgary area. And i am pretty regular build so i can handle most bow poundage weights
So you think...

You can shoot a 70# compound probably without any difficulty or maybe you will have difficulty? Some cams are quite aggressive and one 70# bow won't feel like another 70# bow. Nothing wrong with a 60# compound at all...you want the archery experience to be comfortable......that way you'll come back and shoot lots. Not sure on what the split is between guys shooting 70#s and 60#'s? Probably more shooting 70#s? I used to shoot 70#s but I dropped down to 60#s a few years ago..........have a few 50#ish trad bows too.

A 50# recurve or longbow should be considered......if not even lighter

Just something to consider......instead of making up your mind beforehand.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:41 AM

Going more traditional takes awhile to get used to and a long time usually to become proficient.

Compound is usually easier to become proficient.

The biggest thing to undrsatnd about bowhunting is that you need to get close...real close. you see an animal at 100 yards with a rifle is a chip shot. With bowhunting your not even 1/2 way there!....

If you are in Edm. area shoot me a pm and I can help you with some non-partisan advice based on what your goals and wishes are. i can help set you up or point you in the right direction and know what questions to ask!...
Old 03-27-2008, 05:22 PM

If you are in Calgary, give Jimbows a call forsure. He will definately help you out. You can also try the Calgary Archery Centre aswell. Let them know what you want in a bow and go from there. If they are really listening to you and want to help you, they will put a bow together that you will be happy with and love shooting. Shoot some bows before you decide. What you might want right now may change when you start shooting a bow and that is important in your decision making. Compound or recurve.....your call I guess but if you are doing some hunting I would recommend a compound. You can pick it up, do some shooting (practice) and should be confident enough to get out there and harvest an animal cleanly. From there, you can play with a recurve. Those are just my thoughts. Good luck and look forward to pictures if you are going to do some hunting with it.
Marco
Old 03-27-2008, 07:50 PM

Default Shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarCreek View Post
Shoot some bows before you decide.
Marco
I agree with Marco. Don't get in a real hurry to buy. I went to Calgary Archery Center and shot a bunch of bows. I finally settled on one that I at first wasn't really interested in. After shooting a bunch that one just felt like a better fit for me.
Personally I would go compound first and then start tinkering with a recurve. I started the opposite way when I was a teen. I had to shoot for months to become proficient. And that was with coaching. With a modern compound and a few helpful hints you should be on your way in no time.
I live in Calgary and I would be willing to shoot with you for an afternoon after you purchase your bow. Drop me a line and let me know.