Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-22-2011, 06:16 PM

Default .25-06 flying

Attempted to sight my Mark V .25-06 today with Federal 115 Nosler Partitions, and after 2 hours and 24 bullets, I gave up. Tried sighting it in at 200 and couldn't get a good group, so I moved to 100 and got a good enough group then back to 200 and it was all over the place... Shooting out of a lead sled and the scope isn't loose either...
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 09-22-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic6 View Post
Attempted to sight my Mark V .25-06 today with Federal 115 Nosler Partitions, and after 2 hours and 24 bullets, I gave up. Tried sighting it in at 200 and couldn't get a good group, so I moved to 100 and got a good enough group then back to 200 and it was all over the place... Shooting out of a lead sled and the scope isn't loose either...
Not to be mean but can you shoot a good group at 200 yards? It is not easy. Also, has this rifle shot a good group at 200 yards before?
Old 09-22-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post
Not to be mean but can you shoot a good group at 200 yards? It is not easy. Also, has this rifle shot a good group at 200 yards before?
Nothing special, but I can shoot 200 yards comfortably. I can hit kill zone target no problem. I think I'm gonna go back and fine tune it at 100 then see if it will hold a group at 200, or just buy a new rifle ha...
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Old 09-22-2011, 07:02 PM

id try different rings and a different scope first.

similar things have happened to me with a leupold vx2

have you cleaned the bore lately?
Old 09-22-2011, 07:04 PM

Default group

Try another load or bullet weight or manufacturer.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody c View Post
id try different rings and a different scope first.

similar things have happened to me with a leupold vx2

have you cleaned the bore lately?
Yeeeeaaahhh I'm not dropping another grand on optics again. Yes my brother cleaned and oiled the rifle before we went out.

117 Sierra Game Kings, annnd 120 Fusions I think are the other 2 bullets our store has.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:22 PM

I went through similar issues with my Sako A7 when I first tried sighting it in. Tried 4 different brands of bullets before I was happy with the grouping, its amazing how different bullets shoot out of different guns. I found the Hornady SST's to shoot the best for me. Play around with the ammo before you decide your set up isnt working out.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChevy View Post
I went through similar issues with my Sako A7 when I first tried sighting it in. Tried 4 different brands of bullets before I was happy with the grouping, its amazing how different bullets shoot out of different guns. I found the Hornady SST's to shoot the best for me. Play around with the ammo before you decide your set up isnt working out.
In 25-06??
Old 09-22-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
In 25-06??
Yes its a 25-06 and I'm shootin 117 gr.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Yes its a 25-06 and I'm shootin 117 gr.
I'll see if I can find some.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:43 PM

Cant say you will see the same results for sure but I've been told by several people that different ammo shoots different from one gun to the next.
Just recieved my Cooper 25-06 today that I bought off of "Bigracks" and hoping my reloaded Hornady bullets group under 3/4" MOA.
Good luck to you!
Old 09-22-2011, 11:06 PM

I have found the lead sleds to open up groups in some guns. Probably would shoot better if it was sand bagged. I think it depends on caliber stock and bedding as to why this is. Good luck with the 25-06.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 09-23-2011, 08:15 AM

Hmm. My lead sled DFT has shrunk my groups considerably in everything from 223 to 375. Maybe its an ammo issue or something is torqued up a little much. shove a business card in the barrel channel next time u shoot. sometimes just a little added upward pressure does the trick.

gilly
Old 09-23-2011, 08:21 AM

i bought a tikka t3 in 25-06 earlier this summer for my dad and bought two boxes of those federal premium loaded with the 115gr nosler partition

took two shots to sight in at 100 yards....two more to get it zeroed at 200 yards.

then shot a 1.75" group at 200....done...LOL

31 rounds left over....should be good for a year of deer/coyote action

listen to what others have been tip toeing around saying....let someone else shoot a group...see what happens
Old 09-23-2011, 08:34 AM

Smile How big were the 2 groups?

Tell us bit more. I can't figure how a tight group at 100M is a big group at 200M. The gun doesn't know the distance. The groups should be the same moa.

Can you measure them? Are you sure of the distances? Any idea what the MV is on that ammo?

I'm sure this must be very frustrating, we're just trying to help.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
X2 I had an old 6.5x55 that would shoot those big round nose bullets to 100-150 yards good but when they got out to 200+ they would start to tumble.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Tell us bit more. I can't figure how a tight group at 100M is a big group at 200M. The gun doesn't know the distance. The groups should be the same moa.

Can you measure them? Are you sure of the distances? Any idea what the MV is on that ammo?

I'm sure this must be very frustrating, we're just trying to help.
It's very possible for what appears to be a good load at 100 turn to crap at 200, 300 yards.

Like has been mentioned...have someone else try it out...also try the factroy ammo you mentioned that's topped off with the Sierra Gamekings. I often use SGKs as a test bullet with a new rifle...because they are usually quite accurate.

It wouldn't be a bad idea either to throw the leadsled in the garbage and buy a decent mechanical front rest with a bunny ear type rear bags.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:26 PM

try a lighter bullet I had good luck but depends what your hunting I guess.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:35 PM

Default How many rounds down the pipe?

How is the rifling in your gun? I had a 25-06 that would group awesome for the first few years but then my groups started to spread out. To be fair I should state that mine likely had 8 to 9 hundred through it before it started to get loose. It is now at Ron Smiths getting a new barrel.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:51 PM

Wink

It's a Weatherby. Problem solved.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:00 PM

I bought some 117 grains. See how they do i guess.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:18 PM

mine did the same thing at first, shooting what resembled a choked shotgun pattern.
perhaps loosen off the florrplate screws and torque them to specs..
guaranteed they are tighter than required.
eventually custom Bob bedded and floated her and its all good now.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 09-23-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
mine did the same thing at first, shooting what resembled a choked shotgun pattern.
perhaps loosen off the florrplate screws and torque them to specs..
guaranteed they are tighter than required.
eventually custom Bob bedded and floated her and its all good now.
How do I find what spec for them?
Old 09-24-2011, 04:44 AM

Quote:
How do I find what spec for them?
http://www.weatherbynation.com/spike...m75kbohmisnb20

i have seen the procedure posted somewhere else. but for all purposes, is the same .
the original poster here refers to the the torque as 55 ft pounds, but rest assured it is inch pounds.
the last response by nmarkinite sums it up.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 09-24-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
http://www.weatherbynation.com/spike...m75kbohmisnb20

i have seen the procedure posted somewhere else. but for all purposes, is the same .
the original poster here refers to the the torque as 55 ft pounds, but rest assured it is inch pounds.
the last response by nmarkinite sums it up.
Well I used the FAT wrench at 55 back to front and I'm gonna go and shoot today. Gonna start at 25 then 100 then 200... Hopefully all goes well..
Old 09-24-2011, 04:24 PM

4 bullets in the same hole at 25 yards on 4.5 power.. 100 yards about a 3 inch on 14 power.. I gave up cuz I was shooting out of the bed in my truck and didn't feel like going through a box of shells.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:52 PM

Yup here is the specs...

Screws for wood stocks have a torque specification of 35 inch pounds. Please note, however, that you should tighten the rear screw first and then the front screw.

If yours is a Fibermark® or an Accumark® stock, the torque specification is 55 inch pounds.
The correct assembly procedure is:

Tighten the rear trigger guard screw first to 30 inch pounds.
Align the barrel to the center of the barrel channel in the fore stock.
Tighten the front trigger guard screw to 30 inch pounds.
Tighten the rear screw to 50-55 inch pounds.
Finally, tighten the front trigger guard screw to 50-55 inch pounds.
Applying this method, using a torque screwdriver of the proper size, will insure the proper fit between the receiver, and custom aluminum bedding block, as well as the proper positioning of the barrel in the barrel channel.

I have never tightened the rear screw (nearest the trigger guard) first on any rifle but my Weatherby's. I was always told to do the front screw (ahead of the magazine) first then the back.....any thoughts on this?

LC
Old 09-24-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Yup here is the specs...

Screws for wood stocks have a torque specification of 35 inch pounds. Please note, however, that you should tighten the rear screw first and then the front screw.

If yours is a Fibermark® or an Accumark® stock, the torque specification is 55 inch pounds.
The correct assembly procedure is:

Tighten the rear trigger guard screw first to 30 inch pounds.
Align the barrel to the center of the barrel channel in the fore stock.
Tighten the front trigger guard screw to 30 inch pounds.
Tighten the rear screw to 50-55 inch pounds.
Finally, tighten the front trigger guard screw to 50-55 inch pounds.
Applying this method, using a torque screwdriver of the proper size, will insure the proper fit between the receiver, and custom aluminum bedding block, as well as the proper positioning of the barrel in the barrel channel.

I have never tightened the rear screw (nearest the trigger guard) first on any rifle but my Weatherby's. I was always told to do the front screw (ahead of the magazine) first then the back.....any thoughts on this?

LC
Thank you Lefty. Just did that. Hopefully it makes a difference, just I'm really frustrated at this point. Sako A7 is looking awfully nice right now...
Old 09-25-2011, 03:28 PM

Well, isn't the shooter or scope. I was shooting 1.5" groups at 200 with my brothers .270 Rem 700. Guess it's rifle shopping time.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Well, isn't the shooter or scope. I was shooting 1.5" groups at 200 with my brothers .270 Rem 700. Guess it's rifle shopping time.
Im not a weatherby fan in the least....but i think you are jumping the gun (pun intended) by going shopping.

no matter....buying a new gun never hurt anyone! LOL