Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-18-2010, 02:24 PM

Default 204 Thompson Venture

Has anyone seen or own this rifle. I just read an article about the Venture and I was really impressed. Maybe this gun is old news. I've been trying to decide what rifle to buy a 204 in but I think my mind is made up now. That is unless someone on this forum says other wise. Merry Christmas
Old 12-18-2010, 03:29 PM
waylow

Beware of their single stack magazine and also of the trigger. The mag would mis-feed quite often in mine, it would send two up and then sometimes not a one. And it would sometimes point them straight up (like the Tikka's do). The trigger would fire on bolt closure about 1 in 10 times, even when I set the pull way up. Not a rifle for me, no matter the price.
I went with a ruger instead, but really kicked myself after letting the CZ527 go.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:26 PM

How long ago did you own your Thompson Waylow. I don't want any part in a gun that fires on bolt closure. Not good. I'm disappointed in your reply Waylow I really liked the look of the Venture. My next choice will certainly be a cz 527 I just hate the long throw of the bolt. It makes for awfully high scopes mounts. Thanks for your post.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:54 PM

Default 204 thompson venture

if i was going to buy a new 204 ruger ,i would go with tikka sv,cz and howa all are very accurate,have a look at tikka s v in 204 some guys from oz, on you tube, unbelivable , my choice would be a tikka s v if i had to pick one ,atvb steve
Old 12-18-2010, 06:00 PM
waylow

Had it about a year ago. Had some other issues with it as well. Seemed like the integral bases were not aligned properly and had to purchase a high and medium set of rings and then lap the F out of them to make the scope fit right. and I wasn't impressed on the accuracy of the rifle. She was no MOA rifle out of the box. Must've been built on a Friday that one.
And T/C's customer service was not helpful at all. Sent 3 e-mails to which I received no reply and a phone call only suggested I take it back to store of purchase.
On the other hand, I've had no issue with the encore/pro-hunter line at all.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:43 PM

I shoot a Venture in 7mm Rem Mag, and have had no issues. Have had rifle abt. 1 year. Has never misfed, nor has it ever fired on bolt closure (50-60 rounds). Haven't heard of the kind of issues that waylow is bringing up, either, although I don't discount what he experienced; and it is certainly a bit disconcerting to think that those sorts of problems are out there.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 12-19-2010, 12:04 AM

No experience. Would like to try the Venture Predator. Seems like a lot of gun for the money.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:34 AM

Thanks for the replys fellas. Not real sure what the hell to do now. I'm a big cz and brno guy, I just really hate that stupid bolt throw as mentioned above. Maybe have another look at the tikka. Thanks again.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:27 AM
Banned

Have you ever considered a Savage perhaps?
Old 12-19-2010, 11:20 AM

For those of uyou that like CZ but not the high bolt lift there is a very easy fix for $44. (Click on the Price List and scroll down)

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/

I have never owned the Thompson but have read a lot of negative about them. Too bad becasue I love the look of them.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:51 AM

At one point I was thinking of picking one of these up as they are the only factory produced 204 that comes in a 1 in 10 twist. As far as I know every other factory 204 out there comes only in a 1 in 12 twist, which has proven to be on the edge for stabilizing the higher BC 40 gr bullets. So far, I have been happy with the latest in a T3 lite but am always looking at new stuff that comes out. Once the barrels go on my savages, they will be replaced with a 1 in 10 or 11 twist. It's to bad the big manufacturers don't see that the 12 twist is to slow and offer up a faster twist.

Aim Small Miss Small
Old 12-19-2010, 01:15 PM

Thanks again for all the replys boys. Anyone heard rumors of a 204 in an X bolt?