Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-17-2010, 08:06 AM

Default Hunting Accuracy

What is the accuracy you personally demand from hunting rifles ,with bullets suitable for hunting(not match or fmj in big game rifles)?

1. Big game out to 400 yds
2. Big game beyond 400yds. (for those it applies to)
3. Centerfire varmint (unlimited range)
4. Rimfire varmint
5. Dangerous game (for those applicable)

Here is mine in a nutshell, lets hear yours.

Game to 400 yards, 1 1/2" minimum
Game over 400 yards, 1" minimum
Varmint centerfire, 3/4'' minimum
Rimfire, 3/4" minimum
Dangerous game ????(no experience)
Old 12-17-2010, 08:15 AM

I prefer to set my accuracy standards at the farthest distance that you intend to shoot at animals with the gun,rather than based on a 100 yard group.

Big game to 400 yards 4" at the farthest distance that you intend to shoot
Big game beyond 400 yards-same as previous
Centerfire varmint 2" as far as you intend to shoot
Rimfire varmint 1-1/2" as far as you intend to shoot
Old 12-17-2010, 09:49 AM

Big game to 400 I like a gun to shoot 1" or better at 100 and practice to further ranges. Past 400 I won't do anymore. I don't really care for varmint shooting. Dangerous game is off hand or on sticks so 5" at 100 would work. If you have scoped big bore then 5" at 200.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 12-17-2010, 10:07 AM

Sub MOA @ 100 gives me all the confidence in the field!
Old 12-17-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
What is the accuracy you personally demand from hunting rifles ,with bullets suitable for hunting(not match or fmj in big game rifles)?

1. Big game out to 400 yds
2. Big game beyond 400yds. (for those it applies to)
3. Centerfire varmint (unlimited range)
4. Rimfire varmint
5. Dangerous game (for those applicable)

Here is mine in a nutshell, lets hear yours.

Game to 400 yards, 1 1/2" minimum
Game over 400 yards, 1" minimum
Varmint centerfire, 3/4'' minimum
Rimfire, 3/4" minimum
Dangerous game ????(no experience)
I changed my mind on what I was gonna say.

Last edited by Big Red 250; 12-17-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Sub MOA @ 100 gives me all the confidence in the field!
X2!!, I like my big game and centerfire varmint rifles shooting under an inch at 100 yards ALWAYS.

As for rimfire varmint, I like 1 to 1 1/2 inches at 100.

Dangerous game I have no experience, yet.....
Old 12-17-2010, 11:12 AM

Analyzing 100 yard groups is good for 100 yard hunting...fire some groups at further distances from the bench to see what your rifle/load is capable of, then try it out from field positions.

I have seen sub MOA 100 yard groups turn into 6 inch groups at 300 yards. Some bullets/load combos jsut loose it when the distance stretches out.

And to answer the question; out to 400 yards if I can group MOA or slightly larger I am happy.

Last edited by BigJon; 12-17-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:19 AM

The requiermentrs i have for my equipment pertain to what my accuracy level is at different distances.
For instance, I like a very accurate varmnt rifle, but I know for a fact that if I can shoot the gun 10 rounds into 1.5" at 100 yards off a bipod, a coyote is dead out to the max distance I shoot at.
the gun itself benched will shoot much better than that , however.

My favourite big game hunting rifle is not accurate by some people's standards, but a rifle's accuracy should not be looked at off a bench, it needs to be looked at from the huning position a person is going to shoot it in, and that is th bottom line.
The bench should be used only for load development and for primary zeroing .
Cat
Old 12-17-2010, 11:32 AM

I lack the skill and equipment for long rang work so 95% of my shots are taken under 100 yards(probably 75 yards or less) and 100% are under 150 yards. So I use a receiver sighted rifle that shoots into 2" at 100 yards that I can shoot into 8" or better at 100 yards from my hind legs, better from sitting or a rest. This is all the accuracy that I can use.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B. View Post
I can shoot into 8" or better at 100 yards from my hind legs, better from sitting or a rest. This is all the accuracy that I can use.
And that's all the accuracy us irons and low powered scope guys need!
Cat
Old 12-17-2010, 12:05 PM

Hope you can make sense of what I'm going to say. Not sure I do yet, but... LOL

Like everyone else I've tried to find what my guns like to eat, and I sight in... but beyond that I don't agonize over the accuracy of the gun/bullet combo, because my rig's accuracy potential far outweighs MY accuracy potential.

By that I mean that when I put the crosshairs on something a couple hundred yards out, I'm aiming at a general area. I can't differentiate an inch or two at that distance. Maybe you can, I can't. Add to that the fact that in field conditions I can't hold the rifle perfectly stock-still. So in those cases there might be times where it would be HELPFUL if the bullet didn't go EXACTLY where I aimed it. LOL

So to answer the original question... I guess saucer accurace at a couple hundred yards, and a pretty strong urge, for me, not to shoot much beyond that range.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:06 PM

I understand what your saying okotokian, i feel the same way, my gun and scope combo will be far more accurate than i ever will be. I know my limits and i wont take a shot any more than 200 yds. Yes it has cost me a few animals, but i hate taking the chance of a wounding and not a clean kill. There's always another day for hunting.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:08 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmckee View Post
I understand what your saying okotokian, i feel the same way, my gun and scope combo will be far more accurate than i ever will be. .
Under actual field conditions.....I think you could say that about the vast majority of hunters.....me included.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:21 PM

What exactly are field conditions? I shot these hasty groups prone in the middle of a field, in the snow, with the wind blowing, and grass waiving in front of me. In that position I was even able to call the flyer. I would suspect most guys wouldn't have a clue what they can do under "field" type situations.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-17-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I would suspect most guys wouldn't have a clue what they can do under "field" type situations.
And the only way to find out,is to actually shoot your hunting rifle and loads under field conditions.Unfortunately,far too many people shoot a few rounds off of the bench at 100 yards,then go hunting ,and taking shots at game animals at 400 yards and beyond.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
What exactly are field conditions?
Well, what I mean by "field conditions" is...

-Not a great rest. Maybe one elbow on my knee, maybe stock pressed against a tree trunk if I'm luck. No benchrest and sandbags here...

-Adrenaline pumping, worrying about getting shot off fast before animal takes off... general excitement.

-maybe a bit tired from hiking up the last hill and SURPRISE! There's my buck!
Old 12-17-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And the only way to find out,is to actually shoot your hunting rifle and loads under field conditions.Unfortunately,far too many people shoot a few rounds off of the bench at 100 yards,then go hunting ,and taking shots at game animals at 400 yards and beyond.
yup...whoever has spent any time at any range has seen lots of folks roll up...fire a few shots at a hundred, look over their target and say "yeah, I'm good to 4-500 hundred yards." Most of them don't realize how difficult it actually is to consistently hit kill zone at that distance especially from a field position.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:20 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
What exactly are field conditions? I shot these hasty groups prone in the middle of a field, in the snow, with the wind blowing, and grass waiving in front of me. In that position I was even able to call the flyer. I would suspect most guys wouldn't have a clue what they can do under "field" type situations.
Hope your rifle shoots better off a bench than that.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:27 PM

My intention was/is not to start a debate on how people sight in or at what range they are competent to shoot. Most of us have at one or many times sold a rifle because we were not satisfied with the accuracy. Anyone who has done this has an accuracy perameter that they consider acceptable. I chose 100yd groups because that is where the majority of folks will start accuracy tests.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:36 PM
sheephunter

I only own one rifle that won't shoot sub MOA but I still don't hesitate to grab it to go hunting sub 300 yards. It shoots around 1.5"
Old 12-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Banned

I have been a maximum 100 to 150 yd big game hunter for +30 years up until I started reloading last winter. My confidence and skill level has improved through practice and I now feel comfortable to shoot out to 500 yds under ideal conditions. My farthest shot while hunting was taken this year at a whitetail doe @ about 300 yds. In the boiler room, through the heart and dead before hitting the ground.

1. Big game out to 400 yds = 1" grp @ 100 yds, a little bigger at 200 yds and if I can consistantly bang an 8" gong @ 300 & 400 yds I'm happy with that.

2. Big game beyond 400yds = 500 yds is my max practice distance and if I can consistantly bang an 8" gong I'm happy with that.

3. Centerfire varmint (unlimited range) = (coyotes) about a 1" group @ 200 yds

4. Rimfire varmint = (gophers, crows, etc) 1" group @ 200 yds with my 17hmr. 1" group @ 100 yds with my 10/22. I do make farther shots with both rifles but that is more or less my expectations for both rifles.

5. Dangerous game (for those applicable) = I don't go to the Legion on a Saturday night.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Hope your rifle shoots better off a bench than that.
I've never found sub 1/2 MOA DITD alarming but I can see how you might.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-17-2010, 04:18 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I've never found sub 1/2 MOA DITD alarming but I can see how you might.
Where did I say it was alarming? Just said I hope it shoots better off the bench...I suspect it would.....in the right hands of course.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:18 PM

Keep in mind the M40A3 is considered acceptable at 1 MOA.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-17-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Where did I say it was alarming? Just said I hope it shoots better off the bench...I suspect it would.....in the right hands of course.
It may never see a bench and I'd suspect many could come no where near that off a bench.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-17-2010, 04:21 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
It may never see a bench and I'd suspect many could come no where near that off a bench.
You definitely are better than most Chuck..... I'm pretty much happy with minute of a barn door when I'm shooting a hasty group on a cold, snowy, windy day shooting through the blowing grass. My guns shoot better than me as I'm sure they do for most hunters under field conditions....of course you are excluded Chuck. Somethings just go without saying.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:41 PM

A valid question, certainly, considering the trade-offs that need to be considered in buying or building a rifle.

Obviously, the farther out you need to lob a ballistic warhead and hit something the size of a heart (or lung, or spine), the smaller the 'angle of accuracy' that the shooter and rifle has to be capable of. That becomes a relatively simple matter of kill zone sizes and mathematics.

I prefer to shoot very accurate firearms, that way I can concentrate on improving my marksmanship instead of second-guessing my gear at every shot.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
You definitely are better than most Chuck..... I'm pretty much happy with minute of a barn door when I'm shooting a hasty group on a cold, snowy, windy day shooting through the blowing grass. My guns shoot better than me as I'm sure they do for most hunters under field conditions....of course you are excluded Chuck. Somethings just go without saying.
Yes they do.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Gone Hunting

Only once have I found a rifle that wasn't accurate enough for my liking.
It wasn't even my gun. It was a brand new Browning pump 22, that belonged to our neighbor. A carpenter from Calgary.
The man had never owned a rifle before he decided to try farming next to us.
Soon he discovered that wildlife can cause problems, so he bought a 22 and a shotgun.
He tried to sight in the 22 but wasn't successful so knowing that I had done a considerable amount of shooting, he asked me to sight it in for him. Which I happily accepted.
I had no better luck then he had. I could get it on target only at distances of less then 20 feet. To do so I had to move the front sight to the left as far as I could and the back sight as far right as it would go, without falling out of the dovetail. Turns out that the bore was not true. But that's another story.

Aside from that one gun, all guns I have used were good enough for me.
I don't do long shots, and it doesn't bother me to limit the range to suit the rifle. For instance, I own a 7.62x39. It will hit within a ten inch circle at 50 yards. It may well do a lot better then that, but that is all I need it to do, so I have never tried to determine if it can do better.

The same applies to all my guns. So long as they can hit the kill zone of the animal I intend to use them for, at the maximum range I will shoot at, that's good enough for me.
To tell you the truth, I have never tried to figure out exactly what my limits are, in feet or inches. I know what it looks like, and for me, that's enough.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:13 PM

My rifles that I hunt with have different accuracy plateaus, mainly because they are different types of hunting rifles.
This one is nowhere near a 400 yard shooter, especially since it is supposed to be shot offhand,but it would it it at 200 if I had a steady rest such as a rock to put it on.

Same as this one, it will do 200 easy however.

This one would and has gone farther out that some say an animal shot be shot at, but from a rest.
This deer however was shot without a rest.

That being said , every rifle has different requirements, and to say a rifle needs to print 1/2" groups at 100 yards when it likely may not be fired past that ever, is not realistic in my mind, but the rifle should work well within the parameters of its intended use.
Trying to still hunt with the last rifle as apposed to the first one is not a good match up, nor is trying to shoot a stalking rifle with express sights at 400 yards.....
Cat