Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-14-2010, 08:03 AM

Hello,

I dont know if you have ever researched meopta but i have one and i love it. For the price i dont think you can get a better bargain. Check Euro Optics website and see what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I've been researching to try to decide on what scope to buy. I came upon this rifle scope comparison chart that I thought I'd post it on here. I don't know how unbiased the comparison chart is but it appears that the dealer sells all of the listed scopes.

Zeiss was the clear winner but I was really surprised at how high and low some other scopes were rated.

http://www.4scopes.com/customer_scope_guide.htm
Old 12-14-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Now you agree with Kahles being placed in the same category as Schmidt & Bender ,and above the Swarovski PH,after previously stating:

Now that is funny.
God you are tiresome.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:16 AM

The Rapid Z is adjustable making it usable in a huge number of cartridges. You don't have to guess hold over or remember which cross hair is for what distance. Once you sight in your rifle and adjust the scope for your ammunition then the 500 yard bar is on at 500 yards and so on. Mickey Fowler is a well known shooter in the long range game and was the designer of the Rapid Z.
When people start talking about wanting to shoot longer ranges their scope needs to be flexible enough to be bomb proof when the pressure of a shot is on them. I have scopes with adjustable turrets that do the same job and put the bullets in the money out to 700 yards no problem. Adjustable turrets however are slow.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
God you are tiresome.
Like the lure of the siren's song. Never what it seems to be, yet who among us can resist?
Old 12-14-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Now you agree with Kahles being placed in the same category as Schmidt & Bender ,and above the Swarovski PH,after previously stating:

Now that is funny.
Why don't you give it a rest-the only one you're impressing is yourself.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
But then again,I am not sponsored by any particular brand,or representing any particular brand,so I am free to purchase or recommend what I think is the best product for my money.
Are you sure? You seem pretty passionate about the Kahles scopes and I'm beginning to think that you have a hidden agenda.

You offered your opinion which is great but why slam someone who has a differing opinion from yours? If someone doesn't agree with you does that mean that he has a hidden agenda?

Allot of the opinions that I read on this forum are from people with hidden agendas. Specifically, when you ask about what scope, rifle, caliber, etc is the best, allot of people will tell you whatever it is that they're using. For some, that's they're way of justifying them owning it. At the end of the day the person looking for advice has to be able to filter through all of the info/facts and be able to determine the difference between the Chit and the shineolla.

Facts can be wrong but opinions can't be wrong!
Old 12-14-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
You offered your opinion which is great but why slam someone who has a differing opinion from yours?
So you don't find it funny that a person's opinion of a certain scope can change from being rated in the same class as a Conquest to being rated above the Swarovski PH,and the equal of S&B right after another scope rating chart was posted?There is a huge difference between the Conquest and S&B,so why the sudden change in opinion,after his original opinion seemed so confident?

Quote:
Like the lure of the siren's song. Never what it seems to be, yet who among us can resist?
So have you found out the difference between traction control and GM's locking differential yet?You went very quiet after being so sure of yourself.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:21 PM
sheephunter

Let see elk...so far in this thread you've questioned my integrity, basically called me a liar, put words in my mouth and misconstrued my statements and taken unprovoked personal attacks. I think I'm done with your childish nonesense. Next thing you'll be bringing up something from another long gone thread that has nothing to do with this one where you think I was wrong. Oh ya, you saved that one for MK....patheic elk...just pathetic. You seem to have a lot of good information. It would be nice if you could pass it along without throwing the temper tantrums......One question then I'm done with you elk...are you an only child or perhaps much younger than your siblings?

Last edited by sheephunter; 12-14-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Let see elk...so far in this thread you've questioned my integrity, basically called me a liar, put words in my mouth and misconstrued my statements and taken unprovoked personal attacks. I think I'm done with your childish nonesense.
I never called you a liar,I just pointed out that you changed your opinion in a huge way.Perhaps you were confused as to the different Kahles models,and you realized your mistake,and changed your opinion accordingly.Perhaps you had another reason,but that was a huge, and very sudden change in opinion.I see no personal attacks,only pointing out a possible conflict of interest,that may or may not effect your opinion.

Quote:
Next thing you'll be bringing up something from another long gone thread that has nothing to do with this one where you think I was wrong. Oh ya, you saved that one for MK....patheic elk...just pathetic.
Actually MK posted for no other reason than to make another personal attack.His post contained no mention of the topic being discussed.However,his attack might very well be the result of him seeking revenge after being proven wrong in the other thread.Why else would he post on this thread just to hurl an insult towards me?As such,I simply responded to his insult towards me.

Quote:
It would be nice if you could pass it along without throwing the temper tantrums.....
Actually ,I have not lost my temper at all,I don't take these discussions seriously enough to lose my temper.I do however, get a chuckle out of you insinuating that I lose my temper,when it is you who apparently lets yourself get worked up.You are quite good at dealing out sarcasm,but you do get offended quite easily.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:12 PM
sheephunter

Despite your long-winded, irrelevant diatribe, you never answered my question elk.......
Old 12-14-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Despite your long-winded, irrelevant diatribe, you never answered my question elk...
I guess that is as much a secret as your sudden change of opinion on Kahles scopes.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:44 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I guess that is as much a secret as your sudden change of opinion on Kahles scopes.
I'll take that as a yes...thanks. It explains a lot. My opinion never changed...as usual you read into what you wanted and quoted some things out of context. Don't bother answering with you incessant quoting, I'm done with this thread... Take the last word...it's yours.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:46 PM

[QUOTE=elkhunter11;764479]I never called you a liar,I just pointed out that you changed your opinion in a huge way.Perhaps you were confused as to the different Kahles models,and you realized your mistake,and changed your opinion accordingly.Perhaps you had another reason,but that was a huge, and very sudden change in opinion.I see no personal attacks,only pointing out a possible conflict of interest,that may or may not effect your opinion.

Actually MK posted for no other reason than to make another personal attack.His post contained no mention of the topic being discussed.However,his attack might very well be the result of him seeking revenge after being proven wrong in the other thread.Why else would he post on this thread just to hurl an insult towards me?As such,I simply responded to his insult towards me.

I kind of agree with you however why sheephunter even bothers to to reply to you is beond me. You both already posted your opinion why not cool it.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:47 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post

why sheephunter even bothers to to reply to you is beond me.
LOL...ya, you think I'd learn.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I kind of agree with you
Old 12-15-2010, 07:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
So, other than the best of the best that weren't included in the chart, what's everyone's thoughts on the rest of it?

I was really surprised on how high the Sightron was rated in almost every category.
I was equally surprised at how low Leupold was rated. I thought that they would have done ALLOT better than that!
Same here HD, I recently purchased a Sightron SII Big Sky in 36x42 fixed power with the fine crosshairs for a BR build that'll really get off the ground once I settle on a barrel choice. From the limited use that I've had out of it so far, I'm impressed with clarity and tracking. That high rating on your chart gives me confidence in my choice which was based on a recommendation from Jerry Teo in Summerland (mysticplayer).
Old 12-15-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I was really surprised on how high the Sightron was rated in almost every category.
I can't understand how the Sightron gets 5 stars in every price range, in every catagory yet drops down the list in the first chart.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I can't understand how the Sightron gets 5 stars in every price range, in every catagory yet drops down the list in the first chart.
I noticed that as well and this is how I figure it. The first chart was an overall rating in comparison to all the makes and models including Zeiss and Trijicon. They make some pretty High end (expensive) scopes. I suppose that in comparison to them Sightron loses a star.

The other charts are comparing specific models in a given price range so comparably priced models are compared against each other.

Now have a look at the second chart from Optics Talk that I posted farther back in the thread. As an example, they don't rate Sightron the same and if I remember correctly they have it in the same category as a Bushnell Elite 3200.

I suppose that if I found a third comparison chart it would be different as well. Interesting none the less but who are ya going to believe.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:03 AM

Looks to me that it may be dated information for Leupold changed from VXlll to VX3 I believe in 2009 so they haven't tested the new glass or argon krypton filling in two years.
I am not sure how scientific these results would be as it is based on personal experience and feedback?
People in retail shops are always adjusting the focus on display scopes so when I was selling retail quite often a customer would look through a cheap scope and an expensive scope and say the cheap one was just as good "for his eyes". As far as I know there are only a few machines in the US capable of measuring exit pupil light to the eye accurately. Without a scientific basis this appears to be a collection of personal opinions gathered informally. Leaving out the leaders in the industry (Swaro) may have been to make the others price point comparable since they are considerably more expensive than $1000.
Guess we have to take this for what it is worth.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Leaving out the leaders in the industry (Swaro) may have been to make the others price point comparable since they are considerably more expensive than $1000.
Guess we have to take this for what it is worth.
Before the first chart they stated that S&B was off the charts in every aspect and therefore not included so I'm guessing that the same would apply to all of the "Best" scopes. I posted a second chart from Optics Talk farther back in this thread that has their rating of the "Best" scopes.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:47 AM

Sorry Dave I missed the Best of the Best post so had to go back and look to find it. Pretty much what we expected though. You get what you pay for.

Won't mention the company but customer service in my books counts for a lot. A friend bought a very expensive spotting scope and didn't seem to have the clarity he was expecting, took it back to store who contacted factory rep who replaced eyepiece immediately to remedy the problem.
I was looking at a demo scope over a year ago and had our optic buyer/manager call the rep for a "staff" price. three calls went unreturned so I bought another brand.
If they won't return calls when you want to buy imagine the disaster if you have a problem and need them.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:27 PM

Default rifle scopes comparison chart

hi guys ,have you had a look at ior scopes as good as any german glass and alot less bucks,just a thought, atb steve
Old 12-16-2010, 07:22 AM

Sheep

In your experience, money no object, best big game scope, with a quality, easy to use ranging reticle, and variable power with a low end of 3 or 4 and top power of at least 14, better at 20. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Sheep

In your experience, money no object, best big game scope, with a quality, easy to use ranging reticle, and variable power with a low end of 3 or 4 and top power of at least 14, better at 20. Thanks.
When you say ranging reticle, do you mean a reticle that can be used for range estimation or a ballistic compensating reticle?
Old 12-16-2010, 09:08 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Sheep

If you mean ballistic reticle, then hands down the Rapid Z is the winner. Obviously Zeiss' Victory line is at the top of the heap with Swaro. Swaro offers up the advantage of higher zoom ranges in both their Z5 and Z6 lines but their ballistic reticle is no match for the Rapid Z. Optically they are pretty well clones. Put the Rapid Z reticle in a scope with the optical quality of the Zeiss or Swaro with 5x or 6x zoom in a 1" tube and you may have the perfect scope.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Banned

take a look at the top end of those scopes rated. i have a bunch of leupold VX III's. the reason i went with them is that they are proven to be able to take the beatings of riding around on horses and magnum recoil, they offer a very good eye relief, they are very good optically and they are reasonably priced. i do believe that the scopes at the top of the ratings charts are better, but they are 3 times the price. personally i just dont think that the scopes 3 times the price are 3 times better. does anyone really believe the math on that makes sense?
Old 12-16-2010, 01:46 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
take a look at the top end of those scopes rated. i have a bunch of leupold VX III's. the reason i went with them is that they are proven to be able to take the beatings of riding around on horses and magnum recoil, they offer a very good eye relief, they are very good optically and they are reasonably priced. i do believe that the scopes at the top of the ratings charts are better, but they are 3 times the price. personally i just dont think that the scopes 3 times the price are 3 times better. does anyone really believe the math on that makes sense?
What do you mean 3 times the prices? Several scopes were rated higher than the VXIII in the exact same price range. I was surprised how poorly the VXIII was rated when comparing apples to apples. According to that chart...you can get better than the VXIII for the same or less money.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Banned

^^^ you kind of missed the point of the question.....maybe i didnt word it right though. what im saying is that there are scopes at the high end of price range...like 2000 dollars or so. being that scopes like the VXIII, conquest etc go for around 650...does anyone reallly think that the high end units are actually 3 times better quality? i certainly believe that although they are superior, the difference in price just isnt right. i dont believe they are 3 times better.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
take a look at the top end of those scopes rated. i have a bunch of leupold VX III's. the reason i went with them is that they are proven to be able to take the beatings of riding around on horses and magnum recoil, they offer a very good eye relief, they are very good optically and they are reasonably priced.
I avoid the VXIII as well as other Leupold variables,because of the eye relief.The eye relief changes by up to 1" or more as the magnification is adjusted.As well,I have used scopes by several manufacturers,and all have held up just fine after riding around on horses,in boats,and being exposed to Ultramag recoil.As for cost,the 3-9x40 Conquest is priced significantly lower than a VXIII of similar magnification.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:22 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
^^^ you kind of missed the point of the question.....maybe i didnt word it right though. what im saying is that there are scopes at the high end of price range...like 2000 dollars or so. being that scopes like the VXIII, conquest etc go for around 650...does anyone reallly think that the high end units are actually 3 times better quality? i certainly believe that although they are superior, the difference in price just isnt right. i dont believe they are 3 times better.
Pretty hard to quantify but I know I've never regreted spending a single dollar on high end optics but there's no doubt that there's a whole crop of mid-range optics that do the job very admirably.