Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Banned

Default 270 loads for Savage Model 116

Hello all...

Does anyone have a re-loading recipe for a Savage Model 116 chambered in 270 that has really worked (ie < 1 MOA at 100 yds). If so, would you share your recipe including OAL, bullet/weight, powder/charge, case preparation and any other details that you used in reloading.. I am particularly interested in 130 grain bullets but others will be of interest...

The reason I ask is that I have a savage chambered in 223 and worked up a very accurate load for that rifle. I shared that with others who owned the same rifle and they got very similar results... I am guessing that a rifle made by the same manufacturer in the same caliber will like the same or very similar loads...So I want to try this on my 270 Savage...

Your thoughts?

Best regards

Mike
Old 10-29-2009, 08:12 PM

Make, model, serial number makes no difference. A pet load in my rifle may shoot like crap in yours.

Start with suggested accuracy loads in the manuals tweek tune, and that's how it's done, or Not, it all depends.

Time to hit the bench.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-29-2009, 09:18 PM

Default Loads

I use the same rifle, in a left hander, have 2 loads capable of about 1 inch groups and am happy with their performance. that being said I agree with Dick, build it yourself with components you either have or like and go through the process like the rest of us are doing. Your manuals are your best resource. let us know how you do, finding "the load" is what we all stive for and it feels great when you hit it.

Best of luck
Old 10-30-2009, 12:33 AM
Banned

Default savage load

Gentlemen... I think you missed my point. I have worked up a load that works quite fine... My question, which arises out of my previous experience with my Savage 223, is if the identical rifle, made by the same manufacturer with the same action, barrel and even reamer, shouldn't another rifle of the same ilk shoot the same load as well... At least that was my experience with my 223 loads... So do you have a 130 gr. 270 load from a savage that you will share with me?

Take care

Mike
Old 10-30-2009, 01:17 AM

My current pet load in the same rifle is 130gr nosler partitions with 54.5gr imr 4350 and a cci mag primer. this will group 3/4 of an inch at 100 yrds in my rifle.

Let me know how this pans out as i would be very interested in knowing if it works as long as the rifles are of the same manufacturer, model etc.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msawyer View Post
Gentlemen... I think you missed my point. I have worked up a load that works quite fine... My question, which arises out of my previous experience with my Savage 223, is if the identical rifle, made by the same manufacturer with the same action, barrel and even reamer, shouldn't another rifle of the same ilk shoot the same load as well... At least that was my experience with my 223 loads... So do you have a 130 gr. 270 load from a savage that you will share with me?

Take care

Mike
Even barrels cut by the same button , wont exhibit the same tendencies.
There are so many diffrent variables in play with firearm manufacture. The metalurgical factors alone are mind boggling.

Headspace is another factor, the go guage has to fit, and the no go guage has to not fit, that's all, there is a pile of wiggle room in between.

Run out and leade in the chamber will also vary rifle to rifle, it is never a constant.

Then there is lot to lot differences in components.

Some rifles are more tollerent, while others seem to be more choosey. That's why loads need to be worked up.

When in doubt try the stand by loads. like the Jack O'Conner load. a lot of H4831, and a 130gr bullet.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-30-2009, 01:37 PM

H4831SC, approx 60 grains, 130 TSX. Start 10% low and work up. Win brass preferably, WLR or 210 primers.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:31 PM

kinda like finding the "Match Load" that the US military uses in their 7.62's

it would be interesting to know of a specific load that appears exceptionally accurate in a variety of firearms that lean toward general accuracy.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:07 PM

Default 270 savage

I've never tried a 130gr in my savage 111. When I bought it I grabbed the 110gr Sierra prohunters with 56gr of win760 that i had been using in my Husky, and it grouped a 1/2" @ 100yd right of the box, using brass that had been formed to the Husky chamber, why mess with a good thing? if i need a heavier bullet, i use my 300winmag. My friend couldn't get the 110gr to work in his Husquarna, but his loved the 130gr, which I could not get to group in my Husky. I had tried loading 130gr partitions, bronze point and ballistic silvertip. I now wish I would have tried Sierras in the Husky. For the money, can't seem to beat the Savage. I'm hoping to see some good recipes for the 130gr on here.