Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-22-2018, 12:43 PM

Default Mdt ess chassis review

I recently purchased and MDT ESS Chassis system and thought I would share my experiences with you. The customer service during the buying processes was top notch. I called them a few times asking about features and pricing and they answered all of my questions. I decided to pull the trigger on the the buying decision and have been glad that I did.

The product was shipped from there office in the Vancouver area. It arrived quickly (2 or 3 days) and I had no issues. The stock was very nicely packaged. It was wrapped in a generous amount of bubble wrap and there was no way any of the parts could rub on each other and scar the finish. It came with all the needed parts, nothing was missing. Everything was in perfect condition. They even included a Christmas Card in the box.
Assembling the stock was surprisingly easy. I am by no means a gunsmith. In fact I am quite the opposite, finding most mechanical tasks challenging. This was actually fun to assemble. The instructions were very clear and printed in away that was easy to understand. I had to go out and buy some proper hex wrenches but it’s actually something I needed in my tool box anyway. The whole process took less than 1 hour to complete. My guess is that if your a handy person you could do it in less than ½ hour.
The stock i purchased has 2 optional upgrades. I had a 5 inch M-LOC rail put on it to hold my bi-pod mount. It comes with a sling stud but I use a bipod that fits better on this system using a rail. I also purchased the ERGO hand grip. This is definitely worth the money if you have larger hands. Its exceptionally comfortable and provides superior control when coming up on target and stability during recoil.

This stock has so many features that I probably wont get to them all in this review. I’ll start with quality. This rifle stock feels well built. Its solid but not too heavy. Most of my shooting is at targets but I think I might try and use this rifle to hunt with next season. It was very well balanced on my rifle (Tikka T3x ctr). The ergonomics of this stock are out of this world. It has adjustments on length of pull, comb height, and cant. All of these adjustments are easy to make and precise. You can also make them semi permanent using a hex screw that you tighten down so they dont change. Easy Peasy. I am looking forward to trying out the QD attachment points. They seem to be everywhere on this stock. It looks like you could do a single attachment point or run 2 points very easily. When I ordered the system I had them include a magazine and I am glad that I did. It fits perfectly with the chassis. I choose the polymer magazine and so far it has fed flawlessly (limited sample size). It fits tightly and loads easily. I like it alot.

So how did it shoot you might be asking. Well it shot exactly like I hoped it would. It felt like my rifle was almost an extension of my arms. I am recoil sensitive. The felt recoil on this rifle using this chassis system was minimal. I was able to get behind the scope without any tension on my neck. Everything just felt natural. I wish I could comment on accuracy but I never shot the rifle before putting it into the MDT ESS Chassis so I can’t honestly compare it before and after. My only issue was the sound of vibration the chassis produces. Its very different than the sound from a standard stock. I think this is just something a person has to get used to. Overall I am very pleased with The quality ergonomics and feel of the MDT ESS Chassis and would definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of buying one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 308 front.jpg (77.2 KB, 75 views)
Old 01-22-2018, 07:41 PM

I’m glad you like it. I love my mdt chassis. By the way, I’ve had mine for 2 years now and you will now receive a yearly Christmas card from them. If you need any accessories for it, they have one sale a year and it includes free shipping and that’s Black Friday. Enjoy your new setup, it looks amazing!

Kevin
Old 01-23-2018, 01:16 AM

I think a new chassis for the tikka .204 is gonna happen. Looks great
Old 01-23-2018, 08:14 AM

MDT is a great company.

They are big sponsors of matches here in Alberta, made in Canada, and have always had good CS in my experience.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:28 AM

I was pretty impressed when I got a Christmas card from them and that was the cherry on the cake.. When i started to build my rifle the guys at MDT weren't sure if the mags would work with 7mm STW cartridges, so they sent me 2 steel magazines to test and modify to get my rifle working..... for free.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.M.Anderson View Post
MDT is a great company.

They are big sponsors of matches here in Alberta, made in Canada, and have always had good CS in my experience.
Agreed. I love my ESS. Bought one of the first, if not the first, available for the LH M700.

They were great to deal with, everything went smoothly. But a friend of mine, who Ryan knows, had complications with the inlet on his RAR ESS, damaging the rifle. MDT's support and response was exceptional. They made more than one return customer over their handling of that one rifle/chassis.