Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-18-2010, 02:20 AM

Default A pistol question

A long time ago i purchased a chinese knock off of the Tokarev pistol and
it was chambered in 762x25.
It was fun to shoot but then ammo got scarce and i found out i could get a conversion kit for this pistol and so i did. great it is now chambered in 9 mm.
Much cheaper to shoot BUT my question is I still have the original 762x25
barrel and it is registered as a 762x25 but now i am shooting 9mm out of it .
Do I have to re-register it as a 9 mm?
and if so then how can one serial number be registered as 2 different calibers??
And if i sell this pistol how does the new owner register it?

Any insight would be appreciated?
Old 12-18-2010, 05:16 AM

I was wondering the same thing since I have a Savage that is a 7mm but I also have a 338 barrel I can put on it. It only takes 5 minutes to swap it out but the registration papers say something to the effect that if you change the caliber on it you must report it. If its a temporary swap out is that grounds for reporting it? Not sure what to do other than contact the Firearms authorities and ask.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:06 PM

Well this is the first time i think i have ever asked a question and didn't get an answer right away?
Is it a hard question or is it just cuz lotts of folks are away for the holidays?
Old 12-18-2010, 11:51 PM

If your conversion is permanent, contact the CFC and advise of the change. Then, you will likely have to get the gun verified and registered again. It should be as simple as changing the caliber on your registration and issuing you a new serial number. I've been a verifier for 10 years and have not come across this before. I don't see why it should be treated different than a combo gun... But then again, I have common sense and love guns, leave it to CFC to complicate it somehow. If you need any help with it, pm me and let me know.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatrack View Post
I was wondering the same thing since I have a Savage that is a 7mm but I also have a 338 barrel I can put on it. It only takes 5 minutes to swap it out but the registration papers say something to the effect that if you change the caliber on it you must report it. If its a temporary swap out is that grounds for reporting it? Not sure what to do other than contact the Firearms authorities and ask.
With this one, it's a combo gun right? Is there two different serial numbers on the barrels or I'd the number on the receiver of the gun? If it's on the receiver, and you bought the gun with both barrels, you shouldn't have to advise them of anything. I'm assuming this is a rifle? PM me if you'd like me to check into it. I can do it anonymously without the CFC turning on to your registration number.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:01 AM

No, its not a combo gun and I don't think barrels usually have serial numbers on them, only the receivers do. I think barrels are considered just a gun part and sales are not controlled in anyway.

Its just a plain old Savage 110 rifle I bought in 7mm magnum and then I bought a custom rifle barrel that can fit it. The rifle is still in the original configuration that I bought it in but if I want to put this other barrel on it (different caliber) and go shooting at the range do I have to report that? Then what when I stick the 7mm barrel back on it when I get back from the range? To switch this barrel will literally take 2-3 minutes. I do try to be as law abiding as possible but sometimes these things aren't real clear.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:27 AM

Ok, here's my thoughts on this one. The serial number is on the receiver so it never comes off the gun. It's a non-restricted firearm and you can change it easily. You won't need to contact CFC for this as the change isn't permanent. Being non-restricted, you can use it at the range or hunting, whenever you want. Unless you plan on making the conversion permanent to one barrel or the other, don't bother calling them. I'll make a generic call tomorrow and feel them out but if I were you, I wouldn't worry about it.

This is one of many issues I have with the registry. They have made it so us honest people out West feel like we're breaking the law when we go to use our guns, even when we've done things by the book. I feel like I'm being watched, almost nervous, every time I take a rifle out of the house and put it in my truck!! Ive got them in cases, trigger locked and no ammo near the gun. I miss the carefree gunrack in the truck days!!
Old 12-20-2010, 11:34 AM

Hi guys.
I made a call this morning to CFC and got things figured out.

In the case of the 9mm. All you have to do is call the CFC with your PAL number, registration number and firearm info. They will make an amendment to your certificate regarding the new caliber and any serial number changes that may need to be made. They can do it over the phone.

With the rifle, you only need to call the CFC with your info and they can add the second barrel to the registration on your gun. Then you can use whichever you want, whenever you want.

Hope that helps you a bit guys. Take care.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-20-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIGuy67 View Post
With the rifle, you only need to call the CFC with your info and they can add the second barrel to the registration on your gun. Then you can use whichever you want, whenever you want.
Thank you. I never even thought about it but now I know what to do when I get my 455 home as it too has interchangeable barrels/calibers.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 12-20-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIGuy67 View Post
Hi guys.
I made a call this morning to CFC and got things figured out.

In the case of the 9mm. All you have to do is call the CFC with your PAL number, registration number and firearm info. They will make an amendment to your certificate regarding the new caliber and any serial number changes that may need to be made. They can do it over the phone.

Hope that helps you a bit guys. Take care.

Merry Christmas!

Well that doesn't really clear things up for me...
So i have the registration changed from 762 Tokarev to 9mm Tokarev...fine. I still have the 762 barrel if I put it back in the gun which takes less than 30 seconds and TADA it's a 762 again but now it's registered as a 9mm???
same problem all over again.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:52 PM

It can be registered with 2 barrels and 2 serial numbers. They tie it all in to the same single registration on your gun, unless you have a prohib barrel, then they can't do it.