Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-19-2010, 12:43 PM

Default Hornady Superformance GMX

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on Hornady's GMX bullets? Accuracy and effectiveness on game at various speeds/distances etc. Do they really expand at longer ranges?
Old 12-19-2010, 01:08 PM

Would pick GMX over an etip, it would be a 50/50 split between GMX and TTSX. Supposed to be less fouling with GMX.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Would pick GMX over an etip, it would be a 50/50 split between GMX and TTSX. Supposed to be less fouling with GMX.
I actually find the TTSX to foul even less than the Accubond or Ballistic tip.After one patch soaked with Sweets,there is never any copper showing when I am using the TTSX.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I actually find the TTSX to foul even less than the Accubond or Ballistic tip.After one patch soaked with Sweets,there is never any copper showing when I am using the TTSX.
The only time I had a lot of copper fouling was during barrel break in using TSX's. Is Sweets better than the Barnes brand of cleaner?
Old 12-19-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Is Sweets better than the Barnes brand of cleaner?
CR-10 is more aggressive than Sweets for copper removal.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
CR-10 is more aggressive than Sweets for copper removal.
For sure, it is very aggressive. What makes it more so is the ammonia content. Follow the instructions on the bottle and do give it a good oil whipe down after using it.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:23 PM

I load the 130 gr GMX in my girlfriends .270 wsm. She shot 2 deer and an antelope this year. All one shot bang flop. Terminal perfomance was excellent. The longest shot was 262 yrds on the antelope. I am now working a load up for a friends wsm and this is the bullet I'm sarting with.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Banned

I think that we have way far too many bullet choices these days. I've shot a gazzilion amount of game with Hornady Interlocks. This year, I've shot 4 deer with TSX's, my brother dropped his deer with a 139gr Interlock. My most memorable shot was 484 yds on a bull elk using a Speer Grand Slam. Iv'e dropped moose with both Interlocks and Accubonds. Dropped a cow elk with an A-Frame, and as a young man hunted only with Partitions. My only dissapointing experience was a Nosler Ballistic Tip. So...to summarize, all bullets have done well by me, except for the BT's which are great paper punchers.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:56 PM

I was going to ask i tried hornady 150 grain custom this year and they seem to work very well, early in the i tried winchester xps 150 grain shots were going everywhere. and

i was going to ask and not to highjack this thread when you see the lead tips on a brand new box of shells with lead tips with burrs , does this effect long range?

CN
Old 12-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochranenite View Post
I was going to ask i tried hornady 150 grain custom this year and they seem to work very well, early in the i tried winchester xps 150 grain shots were going everywhere. and

i was going to ask and not to highjack this thread when you see the lead tips on a brand new box of shells with lead tips with burrs , does this effect long range?

CN
To begin with, if you purchase bullets with exposed lead tips, then long range wasn't your intention to start with. But to answer the question, no. I've had Sierra Match Grade bullets with an uneven tip. I called them and the assured me that it had no bearing on accuracy, they were right!
Old 12-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Banned

i have actually heard that air friction will burn off the exposed lead tip. sounds like a wives tale to me, but does anyone know the truth?