Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-19-2010, 09:04 PM

Question Flying with guns

Does anyone know if you can use your temporary transfer notification to fly with a rifle or if you need the actual registration certificate?
The temporary has all the same info on it, Just curious as im flying out tuesday morning for Nova Scotia and really wanna bring my Benelli R1 for coyote hunting.
This is for flying within canada with Air Canada
Any and all info would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-19-2010, 09:15 PM

I would check the Air Canada site to see what their rules are concerning flying with firearms.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:19 PM
sheephunter

As far as flying with a long gun...you just tell them you have it and they charge you extra. I've never been asked for Pal or registration cert. Truthfully, it's none of their business.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Banned

Don't know if this will help you but here goes. I've flown several times with AirNorth to the Yukon. I've brought my firearm registrations with me, but was never asked for documentation. My firearms simply get checked into the luggage thing. I'd advise you to contact the air line and check with them. You're not going abroad or crossing boarders, unless your going Air Canada, you ought to be just fine, but just check.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:26 PM

From the Air Canada site;

Quote:
Only hunting rifles, shotguns, BB guns, paintball guns, biathlon rifles, air pistols and certain handguns are accepted as checked baggage. View a list of prohibited firearms.

Restricted firearms (e.g. handguns) require government documentation for transport. The Canadian Firearms Program and Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) websites provide essential information on transporting restricted firearms.

Only passengers age 18 and over may carry a firearm in their checked baggage.

Passengers wishing to travel with a firearm in their checked baggage are advised to be at the airport a full 30 minutes before the normal recommended check-in time for their flight.

Important: If you plan on travelling outside Canada with a firearm, it is your sole responsibility to ensure that you are in compliance with the firearm and ammunition regulations of each country on your itinerary; non compliance can result in the seizure of your firearm.

Packing instructions

All firearms must be unloaded: when checking in a firearm, customers must sign a declaration form attesting that the firearm is not loaded.
In addition, firearms:

* must be rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device mechanism (i.e. a trigger lock);
* must be packaged and locked in a specially designed, non-transparent case that cannot be easily broken into during transport.

Restricted firearms (e.g. handguns) require government documentation for transport. The Canadian Firearms Program and Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) websites provide essential information on transporting restricted firearms.

View related information in the Ammunition section above.

Charges
Each of the following is considered an individual item when packed separately:

* One rifle case containing no more than two rifles (with or without scope) plus 5 kg (11 lb) ammunition (packaged separately), one shooting mat, noise suppressors and small rifle tools;
* Two shotguns and two shotgun cases;
* One pistol case containing no more than 5 pistols.

If your baggage count (one individual item in this category + number of bags to be checked) exceeds the maximum number of checked bags allowed by your fare type, additional checked baggage charges will apply, in addition to the fixed handling charge of $50 CAD/USD .

All accepted firearms are subject to a $50 CAD/USD handling charge (plus applicable taxes) for carriage on Air Canada and Jazz flights. The charge applies to one-way flights and for each way of travel on round-trip and multi-segment flights.

A single fixed handling charge is waived for Latitude and Executive fare customers for travel within Canada, and between Canada and the US. Additional checked baggage rules still apply.

The Canadian government charges additional fees for bringing firearms into Canada. For more information, please visit the Canada Border Services Agency website.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:32 PM

Ok thanks a lot everyone. So TJ when you have flown within Canada, youve never been asked to produce a resgistration card from firearms canada?
Im just a little concerned as I only have the white paper copy they send you, not the yellow card you get!
Old 12-19-2010, 11:12 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
Ok thanks a lot everyone. So TJ when you have flown within Canada, youve never been asked to produce a resgistration card from firearms canada?
Im just a little concerned as I only have the white paper copy they send you, not the yellow card you get!
Never! Take the white card and you'll be fine.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Banned

Airnorth didn't have any stickers to put on my gun case. So they went over to AirCanada and got some. No one ever asks me for my registration. Most flights on Airnorth are filled with either hunters or fishermen. The head flight attendant recognizes me everytime, how cool is that? and she also appears in their TV commercial, yup she's not hard to look at.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:22 PM

Your transfer notification says "If the firearms are non-restricted, you may take posession of them now"..................it means what it says. You have enough documentation to possess the firearm. It also says "your new registration certificates will be sent to you in a separate envelope".
Old 12-19-2010, 11:48 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
Your transfer notification says "If the firearms are non-restricted, you may take posession of them now"..................it means what it says. You have enough documentation to possess the firearm. It also says "your new registration certificates will be sent to you in a separate envelope".
Not according to Canadian Customs...lol...
Old 12-19-2010, 11:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Not according to Canadian Customs...lol...
But if you fly within Canada, how does Canadian Customs apply?
Old 12-19-2010, 11:54 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
But if you fly within Canada, how does Canadian Customs apply?
It doesn't.....I was just laughing at the stupidity of our goverment and how one arm has no clue about the other...long story for another day. As I said, flying domestically, he should be fine.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
It doesn't.....I was just laughing at the stupidity of our goverment and how one arm has no clue about the other...long story for another day. As I said, flying domestically, he should be fine.
Awww, yes. I did miss the "lol" portion of your post. My bad. ... LOL
Old 12-20-2010, 08:38 AM

The white transfer notification is fine and you should carry it with you just in case