Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-19-2010, 11:30 AM

Default Take me too school on muzzle loaders.

I'm going to be looking into getting my own muzzle this off season. Don't what to break the bank but not buy the cheapest either.
Need some info on what to look for. I what the simplest set up and easy to clean. Any and all info is welcome.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Banned

based on your description, the simplest design and easiest to clean is going to have a one word description.....removable breech plug....which is pretty well going to mean an inline. some of them have the breech plug come out with no tools...thats probably the simplest i can think of. when the breech plug comes out, cleaning become a preety simple task....much easier than the old school units. there are many good brands and models to choose from.....go look at a few and decide what you need.

there are a few models that will shoot smokeless as well. they still load from the front and still have pretty similar range regardless of the rumors that follow them. kinda like crossbows, they have a reputation of being capable of much more than they really are. i shoot pyrodex out of mine 95% of the time....but having the smokeless option is sure nice when i go to a remote camp in very cold weather. not having to clean it immediately is a huge advantage for me in some circumstances. one of my fvorite things is shooting gophers with round balls. its a poop load of fun and pretty cheap entertainment. its unfortunate you are so far away or id offer to take you out for a day and see what its all about.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:17 PM

If your considering a used firearm look for something that uses the 209 primer, or can be converted to use it. They are more reliable than the 211 in wet weather. Make sure the ammo is available, some manufactures such as Gonic had specific tolerances that make it hard to find ammo.

There are some very nice mzls available today, my personal favorite is Knight http://www.knightrifles.com/

50 cals are about the most popular today so there are alot of accessories available for them.
Ruger #1 7mm STW
Knight 54cal MK85
Bowtech Soldier

Lance
Old 12-19-2010, 01:37 PM
sheephunter

As has been said.....inline with a removeable breech plug. Hard to go wrong with the Omega or Triumph IMHO.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:41 PM

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the Omega.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:48 PM

Redranger, this past summer I took part in the 2010 Best of the Best muzzle loader comparison.
After many hours of testing and several pounds of powder later, the best new muzzle loader (handsdown) selected by myself and a few others was the Tradiations Vortek Ultra Light.

I think its worth a serious look. I actually have one in my gun cabinet now. If you have any questions or want to know the details, let me know.

Best of the Best 2010
http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/TraditionsBest.pdf

Traditions Vortek Ultra Light
http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/pr...d052981ec06598

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner

Last edited by Rockymtnx; 12-20-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:45 PM

Looks like I got to go feel a few up. Thanks for the info Rocky, they look pretty good.