Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-11-2010, 09:54 PM

Default Cz-Vz 58

Hey guys i was just reading up on these guns and they look pretty fun. just wondering if my thoughts were correct. and if they are worth their price tag, or is one just better off to buy an sks. Also has anyone ever actually shot anything with it and how it did? (ie deer or coyotes?) Thanks Bhttp://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/images/smilies/acigar.gif
Old 12-12-2010, 08:40 AM

get the 858....same gun, little longer barrel, non restricted. i have one and love it. i have only shot one coyote with it. but they are mainly a fun gun. but they would be very effective in the bush up close on whitetails.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:42 AM

I'd buy one, for my military collection, cause they have an interesting historical and technical background, but just for fun shooting, the SKS is a way better deal. Having seen the spare parts kit, the Czecks put together for these things, I suspect they are repair prone, as well.

Grizz
Old 12-12-2010, 08:42 AM

SKS is what it is. A cheap to own rifle that has questionable accuracy, but is good enough for an untrained soldier to kill a man at range. I have no interest in owning one.

I do have a CZ858 that I have fired a couple thousand rounds through. There is a large aftermarket parts industry with Canadian made parts and if you like you can replace just about every part but the action and barrel with improved bits. My rifle in no way resembles the rifle in its origional form, but thats what I like to do. Its a great toy, quick handeling, light, accurate and almost never fails. With an Eotech holo sight on mine with a 1moa dot I was hitting the 200 yard gong with ease at my range. If you live in central alberta you are welcome to come shoot it.

With soft point ammo you caould hunt anything you like within the limited range characteristics of the 7.62x39 round.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:38 PM

I've got an SKS and an 858.
Bought the SKS first thinking I would be happy but the 858 kept calling me.
Wish I would have just grabbed the 858 from the start.....the SKS just doesn't get used anymore and will probably be going up for sale!
Thousands of rounds thru my 858 with zero issues.
I mounted a Russian Scope to it,added a muzzle break(just because).
Great little gun that is surprisingly accurate out to 300 yards with the scope and cheap surplus ammo. Soft point hunting ammo is available.
Buy the non restricted 858....
Old 12-14-2010, 09:36 AM

I would really like one that is non restricted., yet has the chrome lined barrel, I saw on Gunnutz that someone may be bringing a version of the 858 that has this as a stock configuration, and there are vendors in Canada that chrome line barrels......It's my next purchase, sooner or later. Hopefully before they decide to restrict them all, or the supply of cheap Czech hardball runs out.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:31 PM

I own 2 sks that rarely get used and 1 that is still unfired.
my vz 858 gets all the attention when I want to just rip off a few rounds.
It is way cheaper to own and shoot than some of my other "Fun" guns, and it's been awesome as far as reliability.

I have never shot any game with the vz, but a buddy has taken a few yotes and more than a few gophers with his.
If I had a choice, I would have bought the 858 before the sks and would have never looked back.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonehuntin' View Post
I would really like one that is non restricted., yet has the chrome lined barrel, I saw on Gunnutz that someone may be bringing a version of the 858 that has this as a stock configuration, and there are vendors in Canada that chrome line barrels......It's my next purchase, sooner or later. Hopefully before they decide to restrict them all, or the supply of cheap Czech hardball runs out.
Really as long as you clean them is the chrome barrel a big deal?
The cheap surplus ammo is the #1 reason to own these guns IMO.