Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-17-2010, 07:58 PM

I like all my rifles to shoot the teeniest tiniest groups possible at all ranges, that I can shoot, off the bench. (I just like the challenge). But in the real world of shooting a big game animals, most, if not all my shots have been under 300 yards and probably 90% have been well under 150. I know I can make longer shots, I just prefer to stay under, my own self imposed limits.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:50 PM
Banned

I just go hunting. Is that too simple?
Old 12-18-2010, 12:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
My intention was/is not to start a debate on how people sight in or at what range they are competent to shoot. Most of us have at one or many times sold a rifle because we were not satisfied with the accuracy. Anyone who has done this has an accuracy perameter that they consider acceptable. I chose 100yd groups because that is where the majority of folks will start accuracy tests.
i think the answers you are getting make more sense than the answers you might be wanting to hear. benches are for sighting in your gun. to be a good shooter in the field requires practice under field conditions. it seems that a lot of very experiences hunters as well as shooters are responding this way.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
i think the answers you are getting make more sense than the answers you might be wanting to hear. benches are for sighting in your gun.
Yup, sight in your rifle and if you make a bad shot it's not the fault of the rifle.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:05 AM

Shooting groups off of a bench tells me what the rifle and load are capable of,shooting under field conditions,shows me what I am capable of.However,if my gun only shoots 3" groups at 100 yards off of a bench,I certainly am not going to attempt 400 yard shots at deer or pronghorn.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B. View Post
I lack the skill and equipment for long rang work so 95% of my shots are taken under 100 yards(probably 75 yards or less) and 100% are under 150 yards. So I use a receiver sighted rifle that shoots into 2" at 100 yards that I can shoot into 8" or better at 100 yards from my hind legs, better from sitting or a rest. This is all the accuracy that I can use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
What is the accuracy you personally demand from

5. Dangerous game (for those applicable)

I'm with Richard B on this one.... if I can hit a paper plate 10/10 at 150yds or less, I'm good. In the last 10 years of hunting, I have never needed to shoot beyond that.

as for my "Dangerous Game" gun? 12ga short barreled pump able to put 2 SSG's and 2 aimed slugs into a 12" "Group" inside 1 yds!

the only Dangerous Game I need to be prepared for are on two legs
Old 12-18-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
i think the answers you are getting make more sense than the answers you might be wanting to hear. benches are for sighting in your gun. to be a good shooter in the field requires practice under field conditions. it seems that a lot of very experiences hunters as well as shooters are responding this way.
I agree with the answers 100% ISB. My curiosity is what prompted me to start this thread, in many gun forums and from multiple posters they have stated they are not happy with their "hunting rifle" because it only shoots 3/4" or 1" groups at 100yds. Are you kidding! that kind of accuracy, especially in a magnum chambering is exceptional from a factory run rifle. So the question had to be asked, what is acceptable accuracy in a hunting rifle? I fully agree it is important to target shoot to the ranges you intend to hunt at using as many field positions as possible, with the load you intend to hunt with. Most of my rifles are sub moa shooters, but then I have been collecting them over the course of 32 years. All of my beginner rifles averaged 1 1/2" - 2" groups, and I still managed to bring home the bacon out past 300 yards(when needed) every year. We all hope for the 1 hole group from our guns, but what do you really need to go hunting ?
Old 12-18-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanuk-O-dah-Nort View Post
as for my "Dangerous Game" gun? 12ga short barreled pump able to put 2 SSG's and 2 aimed slugs into a 12" "Group" inside ""10"" yds!

I mean't ten yards... keyboard sticks.

and I can't edit my messages

'nuk
Old 12-18-2010, 10:28 AM

[QUOTE=leo;767151]What is the accuracy you personally demand from hunting rifles ,with bullets suitable for hunting(not match or fmj in big game rifles)?

1. Big game out to 400 yds
2. Big game beyond 400yds. (for those it applies to)
3. Centerfire varmint (unlimited range)
4. Rimfire varmint
5. Dangerous game (for those applicable)
QUOTE]
1. I would be happy with anything that groups under 6" for three shots from a bipod at 400, and shoots the first right where I aimed. So just about any rem/win/browning etc would do me fine. Most will group in there if you put in the time. That same rifle needs put a few into 4" at 100 offhand as well.
2. Big game past 600 is pretty iffy, but my ATRS built edge will put 5 into 3" at 600. Now you just need to be perfect with conditions, and have a animal calm and be sure it won't move an inch for over a second...
3. I want under 1moa out to 500 or so in good conditions.
4. My cheap savage 17hmr does 3/4moa with no wind. But to be honest my rinfires are not for concerned accurate shooting, they are for ventilating pop cans..etc.
5. Never gone for "dangerous game" other than a few bears which most don't consider dangerous. I am not sure if group size means anything, but hitting right where you aimed does, you need that first shot to be lethal, let it die quickly before it gets pumped up and turns into a freight train.