Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Gone Hunting

Default De-capping tool.

Hi all.

I got tired of hand cleaning cases before running them through the press, to de-cap and re-size them.
First I tried a cleaning bath. It seemed to work okay but of course it would not necessarily remove grit that could damage my dies.
I could simply drop the cases in the tumbler but as anyone who has tried that can tell you, you can wind up with a case full of media and no easy way to empty it out.
So I invented a de-capping tool. It is simply a stand made out of 3/8 black iron pipe. Sort of like those three legged hat or coat stands that used to stand in the corner of most offices. Or like the heligon shop light stands one sees in most shops these days.
It is welded solid piping with a shell holder base welded to the top. It sits on the floor with a can under the pipe to catch spent primers and is cut to be a comfortable working height when sitting in my reloading chair.

So what do you all think. Is this something you would use if it were available?
This is what it looks like. It's not final here, but is a working model.

Here are the tools required for de-capping with this stand.

They include, appropriate shell holder, de-capping punch, mallet. I used a rubber mallet because that is what was handy, but a wooden or leather mallet would work as well, perhaps better.

The point of this whole setup was to de-cap my cases before tumbling and running through the resizing dies. To avoid scratching my dies.

It does add one step the the reloading process but de-capping goes way faster for me with this setup then to de-cap using my reloading press.
And as a bonus, all spent caps wind up in the can. No mess!

So what do folks think of this, good, bad, ugly? Okay, I know it is ugly now. I do plan to sandblast and paint the pipe. not much else to do that would pretty it up.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:20 PM

I run my cases through the tumbler after resizing/decapping. It is a nice way to remove the lube and dirt.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:24 PM

RCBS and Redding both make de-capping dies. I personally use the RCBS one. About $20.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Gone Hunting

209x50,
I was told to clean my brass before running it through my die as grit on the case could damage the die. Don't know if it's true, but I would rather not find out.

Chuck,
Yes, I know about the de-capping dies. Lee makes one for about $12.00 and the RCBS die is $22.00 at Wholesale Sports. Plus shipping.

This rig cost me $8.79 for the shell holder base. Everything else was already part of my setup, or, for the pipe, scrap from the welding bay at work.

I do find this setup is much faster and far less mess then the factory de-cap options.

But thanks for your input. That is what I wanted to know. Whether or not anyone might be interested in copying my design.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Banned

now this is just me , i like the concept of using the hammer , i view this as a sort of therapy bang plop i feel good . Aggression gone.

I think it good , but I bought lee .
Old 12-17-2010, 07:18 AM

The brass is much softer than the steel of the die. If anything will get a scratch the brass will. My brass just came out of the rifle and if they were clean enough to go in there they are clean enough to resize. How do you get all the media dust off the brass before resizing?
Old 12-17-2010, 07:39 AM

Good little set-up. Nothing wrong with doing things by hand, even if there is other equipment available. I did the same thing for years, in fact, still do sometime, especially my 50......instead of that handy stand, I just had an appropriate sized hole on a hockey-puck and did it on the bench. Had to stop every 5 rounds and punch the primers out of the puck.....

I think some people enjoy handloading more than others. Some, I'm sure, just do it because they have to, I find, especially in the winter (and as I get older!) I find myself sometime doing things to prolong, rather than speed up the process, just 'cause I enjoy the time spent I guess....
Old 12-17-2010, 07:40 AM

i just use a le decapping die. its a wide open die that doesnt resize. theyre 12 dollars
Old 12-17-2010, 07:53 AM
Gone Hunting

Why would you use decapping if you can do decapping and resizing in one stroke of the press.
Andrew
Old 12-17-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
Why would you use decapping if you can do decapping and resizing in one stroke of the press.
Andrew
It is done by many so that the primer pockets will be cleaned when tumbling, before sizing.....especially handy with BPC rounds.......
Old 12-17-2010, 08:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
It is done by many so that the primer pockets will be cleaned when tumbling, before sizing.....especially handy with BPC rounds.......
I use Lyman walnut shells as my tumbling media. The situation that I encounter is that walnut granules get stuck in the primer pocket. Therefore I tumble before decapping and use my Lyman power case trimmer to clean the pockets. As far as Keg's tool is concerned, necessity is the mother of invention, and his tool is a good idea. A single shell holder such as 30-06 would satisfy all brass of the same casing family, .270, .308, .243, 7-08. Since I've never used a de-capping die, my question is: will one die suit several calibers as stated in the previous sentence?
Old 12-17-2010, 08:23 AM

Yep.....i have a RCBS decapping die, and it fits everything I have (except 50).....they are pretty universal.....

And I wholeheartedly agree, if tumling with corncob or walnut, leave the primers in......what a pain poking the flash holes out....
Old 12-17-2010, 11:40 AM

The first batch that I ever tumbled I decapped first. The primer pockets didnt get clean at all. Either way you could still get some media in the flash hole so it is still a pain in the arse. I've got a tool for removing that stuff and I just run it through every shell anyways....Then I know. I've only got a small space alloted for reloading so using my press to de-cap works the best for me. I also find that sizing goes a little smoother too.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:04 PM

I tumble then use a Universal decapping die.
My primer pockets get cleaned on an RCBS case prep center.
Cat
Old 12-17-2010, 01:40 PM

After tumbling I clean the primer pockets on my RCBS case prep center.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Gone Hunting

Opps, I quoted the wrong price and name for the one purchased part.

It is a Herters Shell Holder Adapter. And it cost me $18.59 US plus shipping.
But it does allow me to change shell holders in a second.

I looked into buying a universal de-capping die but the cost was about the same, and as I stated, I find this setup almost twice as fast as using my press irregardless of what die I choose to use. This also allows me to de-cap without having to change dies in my press.

Dmay,
I came up with the idea after resorting to a stick with a hole just large enough to securely hole a shell holder. As you found, the hole soon fills up with spent primers, and I had to hold the stick with one hand, that's a bit awkward. But it does work.

That is part of what I like about this rig, it leaves both hands free for other activities. Hold cases, punch, mallet, ext.

gitrdun,
I do find media sticks in the primer pocket, but for most cases, a sharp rap on the edge of the bench clears that up.

bwcweld,
I find that only about half of the primer pockets would come clean, so now I clean them first with a small wire brush in my Dremel Tool and then I trim to length, then tumble and resize.

209x50
I expect that if you only have clean cases, your way would be as good as any. I frequently wind up having to pick up my cases off the ground, where they can pick up grit of various types.
As to that grit scratching the case instead of the die, it doesn't work that way. Instead, grit will most often embed itself into the softer metal which then acts like sandpaper. At least that is what I was taught in machine shop.

Any dust from tumbling is removed during lubing prior to resizing. Not that such dust would be a big concern since it would be many times softer then both the brass and the die.

I realize that space considerations would rule out such a tool. But that's not a problem I have.
A de-capping die is a viable option, I just don't want to have to change dies any more then absolutely necessary.
To build this rig one would need access to a welder and the skill to use one, or know someone who would weld everything together for free.
To pay for welding the pipe together would push the cost well beyond practical limits. At least in my mind it would.

The rig certainly isn't for everyone. but for those who would find such a rig useful, it is simple and easy to build. If one has the necessary tools at hand.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:41 PM

lets see. hand seat the Univeral deprimeing die in the Lee C press that is bolted to the table...
lay out the tray with all the fired rounds.
one hand picks up cartridge, slides it in the shell holder
other hand works the press arm once
first hand removes cartridge to the block, grabs the next and so on...

with your setup,
one hand grabs the cartridge, slides it in teh shell holder
other hand.. er wait first hand has to then pick up the depriming pin and slides it in to the case, wiggleing it to find the vent
other hand picks up hammer and whack.
first hand has to then lift out the pin, set it down, grab case, remove to block, and repeat.

your method has two extra steps. How can it be faster?

Old 12-18-2010, 01:34 AM

pope style re & decappers are avail from Meacham tool & die. I bought one for my Schuetzen rifle years ago, been using it ever since on everything as far as decapping goes for the other calibers. It was built as .32-30 Rem, which I am using 222super rimmed brass on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg decaper.jpg (44.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 12-18-2010, 07:59 AM

Looks like one of my attempts to build a rocket, when I was a kid.
Grizz