Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-15-2023, 02:21 PM

Default Question about shooting in Ghost & other PLUZ

Hello Fellow Outdoorsmen!

I am pretty new to shooting and wanted some opinions on where and when is best to shoot.

I am looking to go target shooting/sighting in Ghost PLUZ and had a few questions:

- Can I shoot along the river? I have attached a map of where I was planning on shooting.
- As long as I am 400yards away from the road can I shoot anywhere within the PLUZ?
- Can you shoot along hiking trails, provided they are away from the road?
- Are there any ammo type restrictions other than non-restricted firearms only?
- What other PLUZ would you recommend that are close to Cochrane. McClean Creek seems to be limited to only hunting?

I have tried calling F&W and can never get a straight answer. Seems like they have no clue and just say no to anything they are unsure of...

Apologies if this has already been answered multiple times. I am new here and just want to make sure I am responsible when I head out.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-09-15 at 1.45.09 PM.jpg (47.9 KB, 117 views)
Old 09-15-2023, 03:51 PM

My first recommendation would be to join a gun range, it is the safest place to shoot.

You can shoot in the area you are looking at. Just keep in mind that archery season and bird hunting season is open, people are still camping, riding atvs, off-roading, fishing, and hiking actively throughout the area.

Rifle season season in the 400's (west of hwy 40) opens on the 17th, so there will be an uptick in hunters and people walking around in the bush.

If you are going to shoot on crown land, be absolutely sure of surroundings, ensure you have a backstop, keep ricochets in mind, and the disturbance created.

Again, it's everyone's public land. Be respectful to the area and others using it.

As for you ammo use, dont use/shoot at anything explosive or shoot tracers, its dry, we dont need any more fires. Do not shoot along hiking trails ever, people might be on them or near them.

-J.Paul Getty
Old 09-15-2023, 05:02 PM

Can I shoot along the river?
- Can you shoot along hiking trails, provided they are away from the road?

DONT do either of these. I have been fishing and had rounds dinging off the rocks and gravel coming down by me as people thought the river was clear. People fish too and are not expecting to be shot at.

Hiking is hiking, once again your asking if you can shoot where people are walking? Big NO. Bikers also ride hiking areas and can come around a corner fast.
Be aware of trails crossing cut blocks as well.

Find a spot that looks safe, walk the area looking for trails or blind spots that someone could come in that you can't see. Be aware of your back stop. Think worst case when looking at it. Better to be overly safe then have things go south.

Find a spot that is super open and has a big hill as a backstop. Make sure there are no trails at the top of the hill.... better yet gun club. Yah it can be aways to drive to brooks or some place, but its safe, you know its safe and it's fun.
Old 09-15-2023, 05:06 PM

Can you shoot along hiking trails, provided they are away from the road?

Really ???? That entire area is one of the most heavily used in the Calgary area. Random shooting there is just plain stupid.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 09-15-2023, 05:37 PM

Can and should are two different things

Really consider if what you are asking is safe use of a firearm.

like has been mentioned if you are going to shoot on public land find somewhere with a safe back stop so you know where your bullet is going to end up.
Old 09-15-2023, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Can you shoot along hiking trails, provided they are away from the road?

Really ???? That entire area is one of the most heavily used in the Calgary area. Random shooting there is just plain stupid.

Grizz
I did not mean along the trail of course that is not a good idea. I was more talking about a couple hundred meters off to the sides in areas that are clear. Mainly asking if there are restrictions of how far you need to be away from hiking trails… thanks for the helpful reply…
Old 09-16-2023, 12:03 AM

Thanks dshot & freeride! That is super helpful! I have a membership at the shooting center but its much farther from me than ghost. I also like to be outdoors so ghost seems like a great balance. I definitely wasn’t talking about shooting along the trails mainly a couple hundred meters away. Just wondering if there was a minimum distance. Thanks again!
Old 09-19-2023, 12:36 PM

Most people have this thing called judgment. It stops you from shooting a firearm down a hiking trail. Sheesh.

Come to think of it, Judgment would also stop people from hiking in the ghost pluz as well tho!

Judgment really is an effective tool.
Old 09-19-2023, 02:05 PM

Remind me to stay out of the Ghost PLUZ…
Old 09-21-2023, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
Most people have this thing called judgment. It stops you from shooting a firearm down a hiking trail. Sheesh.

Come to think of it, Judgment would also stop people from hiking in the ghost pluz as well tho!

Judgment really is an effective tool.
You would hope so... Unfortunately we live with a lot of people that severely lack this "Judgement" you speak of...
Old 09-21-2023, 02:19 PM

instead of going up the Ghost you could continue driving up the forestry trunk road towards Warprious
You will see lots of people shooting. They seem to walk 100 yards off the forestry trunk road and find a place with a good backstop
just a suggestion for you to have a look at
Old 09-22-2023, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
instead of going up the Ghost you could continue driving up the forestry trunk road towards Warprious
You will see lots of people shooting. They seem to walk 100 yards off the forestry trunk road and find a place with a good backstop
just a suggestion for you to have a look at
Thanks! That is definitely on the list as well. I was in Ghost this week, it was a blast!
Old 09-22-2023, 02:32 PM

A lot of people shoot in the slashes around trappers hill lodge off the transalta road there some built up infrastructure to support it. Have fun, pick up your trash and be safe.

Here’s a link to the lodge for location reference.
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...orn-no-8-md-of
Old 09-26-2023, 04:15 PM

Fish and wildlife is going to advise against shooting firearms anywhere there are likely to be people, whether legal or not, due to the high risk of, well, death or injury to said people.

If you are too lazy to get to a safe place away from where people are recreating, go to a gun range.
Old 09-26-2023, 09:23 PM

Too bad the "Free" sighting in range at Sibbald was closed, it was there to reduce this kind of activity, but stupid people screwed that up.