Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-05-2020, 07:41 PM

Default Self climber stand

I have been contemplating picking up a self climber for a while. Just wanted to hear some experience of good and bad and what to watch out for. Any brands or models to watch for or stay away from? I would probably be taking it in and out to bear baits, etc. So I would prefer not too heavy.

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2020, 08:03 PM

My old loggy bayou worked well and was pretty quiet. I have an “X” stand, it’s the lightest in the market but it’s not too big or comfortable for really long sits.
Climbers aren’t the easiest to get up and down a tree with and they take a lot of forethought. You’d better not forget something on the ground or drop anything.
You’ll really work up a sweat going up and down multiple times.

I really like mine for hanging permanent stands, it gives me a safe way to get up a tree and haul the stands up.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:27 PM

16years ago I had a climber come detached from a tree half way up. Falling 8 feet hooked into a climber and hitting the ground once was enough for me. I can’t remember the brand but I don’t trust any climbers. I stick to hang on and ladder stands now

I have not met anyone else who has had this happen though
Old 01-05-2020, 08:37 PM

I use a climber and love it. I do pick my spot carefully, just because it is more work to pack your stand in and climb the tree. Mines the summit Goliath and is very comfortable to sit in all day. haven't had any issues climbing up or down, but it does take some getting use to. when its really cold the trees freeze up and the stand doesn't dig in as easily so you have to be careful of that.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:17 PM

I use both. A hang on and a climber. The climber I use is also a Summit Goliath and it’s real comfy for all day sits and it’s light cause it’s aluminum. Pick a straight tree. No leaning trees. When I first started using it I guessed a slight lean would be ok. Midway up I swung around the tree to the other side almost falling out. Go slow when ascending or descending. Deliberately dig in the teeth into the tree every step and keep a safety line connecting the two parts of the climber. You don’t want to loose the platform or visa versa. I like how mobile they are if your hunting mature forest. A little noisy walking it through the bush off the metal, a guy would want to deaden that noise with tape,etc. I still trust my hang on way more though
Old 01-05-2020, 09:20 PM

We use two Summit Goliath climbers. Comfy, sat in them many days. Climbs well, never had an issue and good quality compared to others I looked at. Also heed Passthru’s recommendations.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:36 PM

about 35 years ago I spoke with a very well known bowhunter from the States, and asked him about climbers- the Baker style to be exact.
he explained to me a few things about how he used them.

1: he ALWAYS climbed with a safety line, basically a prusik hitch on thee tree and a safety belt. This was long before harnesses were advocated.

2:he never climbed with his gear, he always used a haul rope

2: he made sure ( as was already stated) that he he picked only solid, straight trees.
3: when climbing, he alwways made sure his feet were to thee end of the base as far away from the tree as possible, that way the teeth had optimum pressure against the tree trunk.

5: He always made sure his anchor point was above his head.

I never forgot that advice , but have only hunted out of a tree stand once.
I plan however to buy a climber and use it next fall because some of the areas I have hunted over the years are no grown over to the point that the visibility is almost nothing unless you can get above the bush , which is about 10 feet now.
Cat
Old 01-05-2020, 09:40 PM

That is all really good information to have. Thanks! If going with a fixed type of stand what type do you guys prefer? I had one with screw in steps I used one time and it was a big ordeal to set it up. I can certainly see the wisdom in setting it up with a climber and securing it that way. Are the fabricated steps that go on trees in sections better?
Old 01-05-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Eagle View Post
That is all really good information to have. Thanks! If going with a fixed type of stand what type do you guys prefer? I had one with screw in steps I used one time and it was a big ordeal to set it up. I can certainly see the wisdom in setting it up with a climber and securing it that way. Are the fabricated steps that go on trees in sections better?
My son used to use climbing spurs when he went up a tree too set up a stand.

My hunting partner uses a sectional ladder system and likes it.
Cat
Old 01-05-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:

I prefer screw in steps and the best is to get your hang on stand up a big spruce and use the branches for steps. Don’t overlook a ladder stand, simple to set up, safe and comfortable.

As Cat said... have a safety line on ALL the time. I use a small mountain climbing harness and keep my tether above my head and as little slack in the rope as possible.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:25 PM

Lone Wolf makes a great one.
Very quite and easy to use.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have been contemplating picking up a self climber for a while. Just wanted to hear some experience of good and bad and what to watch out for. Any brands or models to watch for or stay away from? I would probably be taking it in and out to bear baits, etc. So I would prefer not too heavy.

Thanks!
Climbers are the way to go. No worries about it getting stolen and you can setup in different locations depending on the wind direction. Mine packs in and out easily and only takes a couple of minutes to set up. Unless you have difficulty doing a dozen squats, you can be twenty feet high in a couple of minutes.

Mine has a belt that looks like a skidoo drive belt that goes around the tree. I find it much more sturdy than those round plastic coated cable ones. I don’t like those at all. Other than that, I choose one big enough that you can move a bit and not too cramped in it.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:02 AM

I love self climbing tree stands it is all me and my two hunting buddies hunt out of. You can climb any suitable tree anytime anywhere. You are not tied to any one spot. Find a good game trail? In about 5-10 mins you can be 25ft up a poplar not having to ever worry about your scent. Always wear your harness, Always have a knife handy in case you do fall and you are hanging bear hugging the tree and cutting your safety line and shimmy down the tree. (You need to have a "what if" plan s*** can happen so being prepared is best)

You can pre scout out trees you want to climb in the summer, bring a folding saw climb the tree's cut the branches so come hunting season you're good to go. Climb trees for practice. As you make each step with the self climber shimmy the foot rest or seat back and forth so the teeth of the stand dig in good to the tree especially if you're at the height you want to hunt at. Take your time.

Cabelas used to carry good self climbers but since bass pro buyout their selection is s*** now. You may have to order from bass pro. This is the stand i have, Lightest one you can buy at 20lbs. Turns into a back pack to carry with a shelf for your bag.
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/summ...bing-treestand

Don't cheap out. I paid $400 at Cabelas when i bought mine, worth every penny. You are trusting your life to this stand, you want the best quality, i can sit in this stand all day. Sleep in it all day its comfortable for me. I haven't shot a deer from the ground or ground hunted in years and i don't plan on it anytime soon. It was a game changer for me. I've climbed 35ft up some poplars, it can be scary, don't do that when its windy. I've sat 20ft up on very windy days no problem. Climb within your comfort zone. White poplar bark can get very slippery in sub -15 temps. Being 20-25ft up i have had multiple deer at the base of my tree more times then i can count, they didnt know i existed.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorealBucks View Post
I love self climbing tree stands it is all me and my two hunting buddies hunt out of. You can climb any suitable tree anytime anywhere. You are not tied to any one spot. Find a good game trail? In about 5-10 mins you can be 25ft up a poplar not having to ever worry about your scent. Always wear your harness, Always have a knife handy in case you do fall and you are hanging bear hugging the tree and cutting your safety line and shimmy down the tree. (You need to have a "what if" plan s*** can happen so being prepared is best)

You can pre scout out trees you want to climb in the summer, bring a folding saw climb the tree's cut the branches so come hunting season you're good to go. Climb trees for practice. As you make each step with the self climber shimmy the foot rest or seat back and forth so the teeth of the stand dig in good to the tree especially if you're at the height you want to hunt at. Take your time.

Cabelas used to carry good self climbers but since bass pro buyout their selection is s*** now. You may have to order from bass pro. This is the stand i have, Lightest one you can buy at 20lbs. Turns into a back pack to carry with a shelf for your bag.
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/summ...bing-treestand

Don't cheap out. I paid $400 at Cabelas when i bought mine, worth every penny. You are trusting your life to this stand, you want the best quality, i can sit in this stand all day. Sleep in it all day its comfortable for me. I haven't shot a deer from the ground or ground hunted in years and i don't plan on it anytime soon. It was a game changer for me. I've climbed 35ft up some poplars, it can be scary, don't do that when its windy. I've sat 20ft up on very windy days no problem. Climb within your comfort zone. White poplar bark can get very slippery in sub -15 temps. Being 20-25ft up i have had multiple deer at the base of my tree more times then i can count, they didnt know i existed.
The X stand is 12 pounds, with the rail removed probably around 11.
Definately not as comfy as the Cabela’s one though.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:45 AM

I use a summit viper ( steel version so it's heavy) I mounted a shoulder harness/ belt for hailing...It's quite comfy. For times when I'm heading out more than a km to a stand spot I use a tree sling and self climbing system. Total weight is about 8 lbs and fits in a day pack.
Since getting the self climber my strap on hasn't been used.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:03 AM

My only complaint is packing the stand around. If you have to walk any distance its a pain in the ass. I always have my back pack and rifle or bow so where do yo carry the climber?
Old 01-06-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
My only complaint is packing the stand around. If you have to walk any distance its a pain in the ass. I always have my back pack and rifle or bow so where do yo carry the climber?
I have a backpack style belt and shoulder straps mounted on my stand. My pack is strapped to the stand. Gun/bow in hand.
This is how mine is rigged.https://www.google.com/search?q=back...inv#imgrc=yx1s

Edit: scroll down a few pics and it's on the left side
Old 01-06-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
I have a backpack style belt and shoulder straps mounted on my stand. My pack is strapped to the stand. Gun/bow in hand.
This is how mine is rigged.https://www.google.com/search?q=back...inv#imgrc=yx1s

Edit: scroll down a few pics and it's on the left side

Where did you get that style of back pack for your stand?
Old 01-07-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorealBucks View Post
Where did you get that style of back pack for your stand?
I bought mine from a local airlift/ paintball shop. Amazon also has lots of options.
Sprayer harnesses can also also used to pack treestands. Or even military pack boards.

BLACKHAWK! Load Bearing Suspenders/Harness - Black https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001AT4Z1U/..._SNifEbFF2D49M

Solo 4300343 Sprayer Deluxe Shoulder Saver Harness https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B005C7H6MQ/..._XRifEbJ3KMR9B

Battle Belt,Padded Detachable Suspender Straps Tactical MOLLE Military Combat Belt with Harness H-Harness Patrol with Outdoor Activities https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07RZM3RM1/..._WSifEbCY8T50M

Molle Rifleman Desert Tan Frame Shoulder Straps Kidney Pad Belt Assembly GEN 4 https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06X6C2RZG/..._tTifEbKCMQNW4

Smith Performance Sprayers 182943 Padded Nylon Straps for NL400, NL401, NL402, NL403 Backpack Sprayer https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01MY1YLJZ/..._iUifEbJVC9THM
Old 01-07-2020, 05:45 PM

Lone Wolf Hand Climber is a good option . Really light

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2020, 05:50 PM

Sent you a text OP.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-07-2020, 07:33 PM

Default lite and quiet

Look into a tree saddle and climbing sticks, pretty easy to set up once you have done it a couple times. lite and quiet and able to walk in no problem.

If you look around you can get a set up for about 175$ for everything, it is going to be heavier then the more expensive stuff but good place to start.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:02 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I have a plan forward now thanks to Dick284.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:26 PM

Bumping this, any more opinions on the climbers available from cabellas?
Cat
Old 08-24-2020, 05:21 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Bumping this, any more opinions on the climbers available from cabellas?
Cat
Not sure which brand your referring to but a good self climber is a decent price of kit to add to every hunters gear list.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:39 PM

Been pretty happy with my Lone Wolf climber.

Only thing I really have issues with is our poplars - it's hard to gauge if they are rotten at some point, especially when the leaves are off.

I do love that some of the components are interchangeable. For instance, I can use the hand climber seat with my wide-sized foot section. Or I can swap my sling seat for the smaller seat.

There is a company named XOP that I believe has some ex-LW employees (not sure on the details). They have climbers too: https://xopoutdoors.com/collections/climbing-treestands

Like was said before, the stand selection at Cabelas can leave to be desired. Especially bad this year with supply chain issues.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Not sure which brand your referring to but a good self climber is a decent price of kit to add to every hunters gear list.
I have a Summit on the way thanks to Dick284!
I am not known to buy junk when it comes to my gear and neither is Dick284 so it should be fine after a few trial runs!
Cat
Old 08-24-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I have a Summit on the way thanks to Dick284!
I am not known to buy junk when it comes to my gear and neither is Dick284 so it should be fine after a few trial runs!
Cat
I run a summit. Great stand just a bit heavy. Very comfy for long sits. Make sure you add a harness system to pack it in and out
Old 08-24-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I run a summit. Great stand just a bit heavy. Very comfy for long sits. Make sure you add a harness system to pack it in and out
Thanks for the tip,It may have one now, but for sure if it doesn't , one will be added!
I already have a fall prevention system with an excellent harness, haul rope is already in my pack,, and I was advoized to put a tether betwee the uppper and lower parts in case the bottom lets go!
That would not be cool to have that happen!
Any other tips?
Cat
Old 08-24-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip,It may have one now, but for sure if it doesn't , one will be added!
I already have a fall prevention system with an excellent harness, haul rope is already in my pack,, and I was advoized to put a tether betwee the uppper and lower parts in case the bottom lets go!
That would not be cool to have that happen!
Any other tips?
Cat
Always start with the “far end” of the platform pointing up ...that doesn’t make sense but I’ll explain. As you go up the tree gets smaller so the platform becomes more level so start with it pointing up. Still doesn’t make sense

You’ll work up a hell of a sweat, leave your day back at the bottom with your warm clothes in it, then hoist it up.

You’ll of course need a SAw to cut branches on the way up. Look carefully from the ground and imagine your shooting lanes before you go up. Stand with your back to the tree in the same position that you’ll be sitting when your stand is up. It really, really Sucks to have to go back down and cut branches.