Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2018, 07:11 PM

Default Called cabelas to see if they buy taxidermy

So I tried to contact cabelas to see if I could get the contact info for the taxidermy buyer and the city girl who answered my call said this. Cabelas does not buy taxidermy the animals in the stores are not real in the most snotty way. It did give me a good chuckle after.
Does anyone know if there is an email or phone number for the purchaser?
Any info would be appreciated.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:24 PM
Banned

Do you have your permits?
Old 04-05-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richy_107 View Post
So I tried to contact cabelas to see if I could get the contact info for the taxidermy buyer and the city girl who answered my call said this. Cabelas does not buy taxidermy the animals in the stores are not real in the most snotty way. It did give me a good chuckle after.

She is not totally wrong. 99% of the Cabela's/Bass Pro heads are replicas and the horns are cast. Just think about how many location there is and how mand heads are on display.

Bass Pro/Cabela's do buy the originals and have the largest collection in the world I believe, but the real heads probably stay at the larger and older store locations. The stores in Edmonton may have purchased a few locally but when Lawrence (Accurate Archery) worked at Cabelas south, he told me that they were all reproductions; but that was a few years ago.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:16 PM

Your right the replicas are in the horns but the cape is still a cape. If you do a replica that is only done on the horn side and the cape is that of a harvested animal which still makes majority of the mount a real animal.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:45 AM

Basspro dosn't buy Taxidermy. They have their own full time in house company in the USA that produces mounts of fish and game for all their stores.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 04-06-2018, 08:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by richy_107 View Post
Now, don't take this as a snotty repy, but why not contact their head office. I would highly doubt that the animals in the store...even if they were real are purchased at a local level. They will come out of warehouse in the States.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:30 AM

Whole sale sports, mentioned their heads were going back to origional owners when they were selling out.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:57 PM

BassPro in Tsawwassen bough a pick up truck full of Canada Geese fom a local guy who shoots them in the Okanagan.

One f the reasons they look so ratty was they where tossed in the back of the truck and not taken care of.
They sat for a few days till they went to several local taxidermist o do the volume job..

Contact head office and youll get your answer.

Rob
Old 04-08-2018, 07:28 AM

Wholesale sports didn t even have records of who the mounts belonged to except for most of the birds were Alex ‘s and the majority of the Africangame belonged to the same gentleman who lived in Edmonton area. Most of the North American species they had no clue to whose they were.