Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2019, 06:37 AM

Default Ontario to have Cormorant hunt

Some opposition already.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...erns-1.5053685

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-15-2019, 06:52 AM

Should be open season for those fish killers. Where i grew up we had a small dam that fed the town with water. There were perch and walleye in it. Each year...literally hundreds of these killers would camp out there. Didnt take many years and they killed the dam out.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:08 AM

What regulation goes with this season as far as what hunters will have to do with these birds once shot, do you have to recover, process and eat them? If they have to be eaten I doubt many people will shoot them.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:23 AM

I've seen them here, maybe we should be looking at similar action. Poor old Doug, like Trump, everything he does offends the Left.

Grizz
Old 03-15-2019, 10:29 AM

I doubt hunter participation will be very high. I used to live near the Bay of Quinte and there were thousands of them. Lots of people want them gone but not a whole lot of them were keen on the idea of wasting shells on birds that are no good to eat.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:33 PM

They should just take the restrictions off of them, and allow you to shoot them on private land like crows. (Which anyone with a fish pond probably already does)
Old 03-15-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
I doubt hunter participation will be very high. I used to live near the Bay of Quinte and there were thousands of them. Lots of people want them gone but not a whole lot of them were keen on the idea of wasting shells on birds that are no good to eat.
People "waste" a lot of shells on inedible clay targets.
I'd bet you'd get people out who don't shoot ducks and geese because they don't like the taste of them, but do enjoy the hunt.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:42 PM

apparently done right the meat is very much like beef

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-15-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
People "waste" a lot of shells on inedible clay targets.
I'd bet you'd get people out who don't shoot ducks and geese because they don't like the taste of them, but do enjoy the hunt.
You could be right,

But there is a big difference between shooting a round of clays at a gun club or farmers field with your buddies, and hunting along the water or islands in a concerted effort to shoot cormorants. Aside from pass shooting a few that come in along a decoy spread while duck hunting, I highly doubt there will be any amount of hunters shooting cormorants for sport, hunters will have minimal effect on the population. Maybe a few hardcore wing shooters will take up the chasing them around, but having lived in that area, anything more than that its is unlikely.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:11 PM

They would be great targets for the Air Gun crowd.Sign me up..
Old 03-15-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
apparently done right the meat is very much like beef
They must be a lot like cranes then....(Ribeye of the sky)
Old 03-15-2019, 05:52 PM

I'd rather eat crows and mergansers.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
You could be right,

But there is a big difference between shooting a round of clays at a gun club or farmers field with your buddies, and hunting along the water or islands in a concerted effort to shoot cormorants. Aside from pass shooting a few that come in along a decoy spread while duck hunting, I highly doubt there will be any amount of hunters shooting cormorants for sport, hunters will have minimal effect on the population. Maybe a few hardcore wing shooters will take up the chasing them around, but having lived in that area, anything more than that its is unlikely.
I'm guessing that is why the limit is fifty.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-15-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I'd rather eat crows and mergansers.
You eat crows?
Old 03-15-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
They must be a lot like cranes then....(Ribeye of the sky)
I take back what I said. I was incorrect, you straightened it out for me. I was told crane is very good, not the huge black gulls.

My apologies for my mistake

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-15-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
You eat crows?
Metaphorically speaking I've eaten a lot of crow over the years If I had to eat either a crow or a cormorant, i think i would pick the crow, smaller and probably less fishy tasting. Lots of recipees for both.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jen1thTH7f4
Old 03-15-2019, 10:01 PM

There will be a bunch of bass tourney boats with shotguns mounted on each side of the deck the commercial fishermen will likely be the guys doing the balancing of this particular pest. Boats and knowledge of the hangouts.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:21 PM

Because cormorants were put on the endangered list might indicate they were hunted a lot in the early years.

I think there should be a cormorant licence similar to a falconers licence. Falconers can go hunting upland, migratory and rabbits. A cormorant on string would be a neat way of going fishing. No hook required.

In Alberta I think they use a culling control method at nest sites called "egging". Numbers of cormorants in Lac La Biche area have been reduced by quite a bit. Two or three years of open hunting seasons for them and they would be back on the endangered list.

Landowners with nesting cormorants should at least be allowed to do some egging.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-16-2019, 07:48 AM

Eugene,

At LLB when the walleye stocking was done, SRD oiled the eggs in the PP as they could not shoot at the PP. Did it for a number of years in a row (4??)

THEN, they set up blinds on some roost islands and using .22 shorts killed about 3,500 to 4,000 each year for about 3 - 4 years to my knowledge.

If memory serves correct, they took 9 truck boxes to the dump one year and LLB county had dug a separate pit for all the carcasses.

Town folk wanted to have a parade for SRD. SRD did get it right that time!!

Drewski
Old 03-16-2019, 08:26 AM

They are assuming that hunters are going to shoot 50 a day everyday.

I bet most hunters would get 10-15 a season.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:36 AM

Similarily, I was once working north of Grouard and noticed SRD milking walleyes for eggs and sperm on the east side of the bridge.

On the west side of the bridge there was a lengthy row of Blue Herons scarfing up fingerlings in tremendous numbers.

I stopped to see how this milking/fertilizing worked, and a biologist explained how worried they were about the low Walleye population. When I suggested that they could start by shooting those effing Herons on the other side of the bridge, he was quite offended and said “but that’s natural!” He was of the opinion that greedy fishermen who took more than one fish were the culprits.

I don’t think Governments are supposed to make sense, I think they’re just supposed to find more ways to spend our money.

Why not put a bounty on those Cormorants and let the local kids earn a bit of spending money? Crow and Magpie feet and eggs pretty well kept me in .22 shells and ice cream cones when I was a kid.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:44 AM

These things are surely a damn nuisance and should be culled big time just like the seals should be on the east coast.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
These things are surely a damn nuisance and should be culled big time just like the seals should be on the east coast.
I have heard that flipper pie is good but it's probably hard to come by now.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets