Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-19-2013, 11:23 PM
Banned

Default What to do when fish swims under boat?

I've been losing a lot of lake whites lately due to the fact that they dart right under my boat when I get them near the surface. I've been told to keep the rod tip up when a fish swims under your boat but it seems if i do that, the hook easily gets ripped from their mouths. I've also tried "giving in" to the fish and stuck my rod tip in the water when this happens but that little slack is all they need to break free...

Any thoughts? What are some things I can do to improve my landing %'s?
Old 09-20-2013, 09:20 AM

I've been losing a lot of lake whites lately due to the fact that they dart right under my boat when I get them near the surface. I've been told to keep the rod tip up when a fish swims under your boat but it seems if i do that, the hook easily gets ripped from their mouths. I've also tried "giving in" to the fish and stuck my rod tip in the water when this happens but that little slack is all they need to break free...

Any thoughts? What are some things I can do to improve my landing %'s?[/QUOTE]

Paint a sign on the side " NO SWIMMING UNDER BOAT!" LOL sorry couldn't resist
Old 09-20-2013, 10:57 AM

Keep your rod tip just above the water, keep tension on the fish and slowly pull them out. Walk around the boat to stay on the edge closest to where the fish is at and if he crosses to other side of the boat get your line over there instead of trying to pull him under the hull.

Better yet don't let them swim under the boat, I have never caught a whitefish before but if they are doing that try and play them out a little more at distance like you would a trout(I find if you play a trout further out they don't jump and throw the hook near as bad as if you try and horse them in). That way when you get them closer to the boat they are tired and easy to control. Also make sure you are standing by the edge of the boat in a position you can get leverage to keep the fish from swimming under the boat, if you are on the wrong side of the boat there is no resistance when they try to swim under.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:05 AM

If a fish goes under the boat on me I just keep a good bend in the rod and stick the rod into the water to keep it clear of the motor. I have a 3ft keel hanging out the bottom of my boat and I've had 6ft of my 9ft fly rod under the water so the line doesn't get hung up on the keel, haven't lost one to the keel yet, knock on wood. Nothing wrong with your rod getting wet, the biggest sin in fighting fish is to have your rod pointed at the fish, that's just begging to get broke off, just keep a nice arc in the rod just like you would if the fish was out further.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-20-2013, 11:41 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Dip rod deep below the water keeping tension and walk to the side of the boat that allows you to resume the fight normal. Big lakers have me doing this and with a 100lbs lab bouncing around it is tense to say the least!
Old 09-20-2013, 11:53 AM

From previous experience, I have tried turning on the boat motor once in a while to prevent the fish from idling underneath my boat. I do it for 20s at 30 minute intervals. Since then, I never had fish stay underneath the boat.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:12 PM

"He's gone under the Boat, I think he's gone Under the Boat! yes its too easy...he's a Smart BIG Fish he's gone under the Boat!" -Quint - JAWS! lol
Old 09-21-2013, 01:33 AM
Banned

Wink

Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a shot tomorrow
Old 09-24-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gslice View Post
Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a shot tomorrow
you're welcome
Old 10-03-2013, 09:34 PM

It's always stressful when you see the size of fish that's on the end of your line and next thing you know it's darted underneath your boat. My advise would to get on your knees and keep your rod as far down in the water as possible with a good bend. Don't be afraid to run around the boat, fighting a fish that's at the back of the boat from the bow is not really productive and produces a bigger chance for it to become unpinned. Hope this helps

Henry Nguyen,Legend Boats
Old 10-03-2013, 11:06 PM

What I do with these Whites is let them run but when they start to slow I will lead them back quickly under the boat and back under control as long as you don't put to much pressure then they will stay on and wait till you can lead them back I have been into my backing again on some before they will lead .. but my rod tip is down just above the water until they are on this side

on my 12#13oz Brook Trout she when side ways across my 12 ' so I put my rod under the corner and reached in and grabbed the tip of my rod out the other side corner and got her back under control that was 45 minutes into fight and it took another 45 minutes for her to come to the net

here is some pictures

Food for Thought

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gslice View Post

Any thoughts? What are some things I can do to improve my landing %'s?
Old 10-04-2013, 09:13 PM

when that happens to me I jam my rod straight down in the water, then keep reeling, a rod works submerged and there is no reason it cant be upside down to function properly. I then work my rod around the boat to the other side. haven't had one cut the line on the hull yet.