Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-12-2013, 11:49 PM

Default #1 Boating Rule

So on Friday afternoon a friend of mine was fishing Twin Valley......all good until his motor crapped out, he was out there with his 2 sons. There was a boat that drove right past them as they were waving life jackets and cooler top, the driver looked straight at them and decided it was a inconvience to tow them the 5 minutes back to the launch. I really do hope and don't believe anyone on this forum would neglect another person who is in distress. My other fishing buddy made the drive from Calgary and went and saved them (true friend). My message to the moron who obviously doesn't know the rules or is just chosing to ignore them........KARMA IS A BITCH!!!!!!!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:00 AM
Banned

some people are just ignorant. Think for themselves and only of themselves. Help people out in distress, one day it could be you.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:13 AM
Banned

you are required by law to assist someone in distress on the water as long as it is safe to do so.
i agree that karma is a bitch and i hope that a-hole has some coming.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:44 AM

Reminds me of a coupe years ago at gull lake came up to the dock and there was a 50 year old Asian man in an absolute panic finally got him talking and his daughter and grand son were out in a dingy and the wind was really going that day and had taken them away from shore to the point they were unable to paddle back to shore. They should never have been on the lake but the guy couldn't get anybody to take him out there and the kid in the dingy could have only been maybe 4 years old.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:18 AM

Wow, that's terrible. I'm seeing more and more rudeness go on out on the water. I blame parents of today, not teaching their children respect, and catering to their every wish. It's sad really.

Fishing Reviews TV - Product Reviews
Old 05-13-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingReviewsTV View Post
Wow, that's terrible. I'm seeing more and more rudeness go on out on the water. I blame parents of today, not teaching their children respect, and catering to their every wish. It's sad really.
It just goes to show that the boating card does nothing, tons of people still have no clue. But there are quite a few responsible ones out there to give me hope.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:39 AM

There certaily are some jerks around. I am just wondering, do you not need a paddle or some other means to propel the boat?
Old 05-13-2013, 09:56 AM

The jerk can also be ther person in distress maybe the person who just drive past had a bad experience helping someone. I will always stop and help especially on a river but last year I had a experience heading back up river and seeing two guys waving from a boat drifting down river. They had no anchor and no paddles and ran out of gas in their new jet boat. I towed them to shore to get them out if their uncontrollable drift down river.

At this point what do we do ? We are 36 km from the boat launch down river I gave them the GPS location and told them they should call a friend to come down with some gas but they didn't know anyone with a jet boat I told them they could join us fishing for a few hours since I came all that way down and that's what we were all there for anyways after that I would run one guy up they could fill up with gas cans and ill bring one guy back. This would cost myself about 70 bucks in fuel to do this but I didn't mind to help out telling them this I expected they would have no problem and even offer to pay my fuel for helping.

Instead they demanded I tow them back up 36 km to the boat launch and I must help them do this they said we have your boat numbers you tow us or were calling the RCMP for leaving us stranded. Well that was the end of my day for fishing a total loss 5 hours later I was able to tow the 20 foot jet boat with my smaller jet only 8 km the river was to shallow and his boat to heavy to get us both up on plane many times having to walk the boats up in spots. After 8 km we were next to the hiway I told them now you can call a friend to bring gas right to you guys I'm not spending 2 days towing them another 30 km I'm almost out of gas myself now.

It was a 100 yard walk to the hiway with full cell service I told them I'm not towing anymore and left before I'm stuck without gas when I got to the boat launch the RCMP were waiting for me the guys I helped called 911 said they were in distress and I had left them to die. The RCMP were waiting for fish and game to bring a jet boat to go help them I told them I got them to the hiway you don't need a jet boat just take them gas to the spot on the hiway I gave them the GPS for. They asked me to wait at the boat launch until they get back because they want to hear the others guys side of the story but I just left when they did.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwalleye View Post
The jerk can also be ther person in distress maybe the person who just drive past had a bad experience helping someone. I will always stop and help especially on a river but last year I had a experience heading back up river and seeing two guys waving from a boat drifting down river. They had no anchor and no paddles and ran out of gas in their new jet boat. I towed them to shore to get them out if their uncontrollable drift down river.

At this point what do we do ? We are 36 km from the boat launch down river I gave them the GPS location and told them they should call a friend to come down with some gas but they didn't know anyone with a jet boat I told them they could join us fishing for a few hours since I came all that way down and that's what we were all there for anyways after that I would run one guy up they could fill up with gas cans and ill bring one guy back. This would cost myself about 70 bucks in fuel to do this but I didn't mind to help out telling them this I expected they would have no problem and even offer to pay my fuel for helping.

Instead they demanded I tow them back up 36 km to the boat launch and I must help them do this they said we have your boat numbers you tow us or were calling the RCMP for leaving us stranded. Well that was the end of my day for fishing a total loss 5 hours later I was able to tow the 20 foot jet boat with my smaller jet only 8 km the river was to shallow and his boat to heavy to get us both up on plane many times having to walk the boats up in spots. After 8 km we were next to the hiway I told them now you can call a friend to bring gas right to you guys I'm not spending 2 days towing them another 30 km I'm almost out of gas myself now.

It was a 100 yard walk to the hiway with full cell service I told them I'm not towing anymore and left before I'm stuck without gas when I got to the boat launch the RCMP were waiting for me the guys I helped called 911 said they were in distress and I had left them to die. The RCMP were waiting for fish and game to bring a jet boat to go help them I told them I got them to the hiway you don't need a jet boat just take them gas to the spot on the hiway I gave them the GPS for. They asked me to wait at the boat launch until they get back because they want to hear the others guys side of the story but I just left when they did.
I think you did right, I would have told them, either you take the ride for the gas or I will let someone know where you are. You got them to shore and offered to help, your off the hook. You don't have to baby sit these jerks. I would guess the RCMP thought the same or they would have gotten back to you.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:

No where does it say you have to tow their boat anywhere. You offered assistance and they refused end of story continue on fishing.
There are just idiots out there......
Old 05-13-2013, 10:41 AM

3 years ago early season towed 3 boats in one day plus rendered assistance to 1 all in one day. Felt like a tow truck driver not a fisherman. Two of the boats were out of gas. 2 were mechanical. Two were very thankful, had kids on board. The other 2 almost gave me the feeling I owed them that.

But I will still help.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:55 AM

1st thing we did on Saturday was help 2 poor guys at CVR that launched and had their motor crap out right away......we were lucky that they were right at the launch area and just pulled them to the dock. My buddy was only 5 mins from the dock on Friday, they tried to row but the wind wouldn't allow it, it wasn't running out of gas or something predictable and stupid that happens, his motor just came out of the shop after getting a full tune up and it just quit on him on his way back in. I think there is just too many guys out there that can't be bothered in anyway to lend a hand.....or just don't know the rules. We were towed in by a guy 3 years ago and offered to compensate him for his time and fuel and his response was......."just help the next guy"!
Old 05-13-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
3 years ago early season towed 3 boats in one day plus rendered assistance to 1 all in one day. Felt like a tow truck driver not a fisherman. Two of the boats were out of gas. 2 were mechanical. Two were very thankful, had kids on board. The other 2 almost gave me the feeling I owed them that.

But I will still help.
I know it can happen that you run out of fuel, but I really don't see why. When I go out, I check my fuel before I go. Full tank, let's go, periodically through out the day I check to see how much I have left. When the fuel is half or less I head back toward the boat launch. As for the two that acted as if you owed them, well they are just jerks that will get theirs one day. When i go out I know that I have all the equipment needed to make a fun and safe day on the water. If the motor is not running just right I don't go.
Have fun and be safe out there boys and girls.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
I know it can happen that you run out of fuel, but I really don't see why. When I go out, I check my fuel before I go. Full tank, let's go, periodically through out the day I check to see how much I have left. When the fuel is half or less I head back toward the boat launch. As for the two that acted as if you owed them, well they are just jerks that will get theirs one day. When i go out I know that I have all the equipment needed to make a fun and safe day on the water. If the motor is not running just right I don't go.
Have fun and be safe out there boys and girls.
that is alright if you have a remote tank but if you have a built in tank that has a fuel gauge that doesnt read properly and has been "fixed" more then a few times i could see how you could run out.

i was out with my family last summer and ran out at the opposite end of the lake. we used the trolling motor to head back and had 3 boats and 2 jet skis pass us and wouldnt stop to help. it took us 8 hours to get back in 30 degree heat and my 2.5 year old had to hide under the single console to keep out of the sun. that was a rough day.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
that is alright if you have a remote tank but if you have a built in tank that has a fuel gauge that doesnt read properly and has been "fixed" more then a few times i could see how you could run out.

i was out with my family last summer and ran out at the opposite end of the lake. we used the trolling motor to head back and had 3 boats and 2 jet skis pass us and wouldnt stop to help. it took us 8 hours to get back in 30 degree heat and my 2.5 year old had to hide under the single console to keep out of the sun. that was a rough day.
Too bad some of these people out there have no consideration for anyone but themselves. If I see someone that appears to be having problems I always check it out. If there is no problem then I feel better and carry on.
Not trying to be hard on anyone, but if your gauge is hooped I would eyeball it. Glad your little one is ok.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
Too bad some of these people out there have no consideration for anyone but themselves. If I see someone that appears to be having problems I always check it out. If there is no problem then I feel better and carry on.
Not trying to be hard on anyone, but if your gauge is hooped I would eyeball it. Glad your little one is ok.
wish i could eyeball it but it is built into the middle of the floor and the only way at it is a bunch of screws and to take off a seat base.

i will be replacing with a whole new gauge, wiring, and sender unit and see what happens.

if i could easily switch to 2 remote tanks in the floor i would go that way for sure but i think it will be a pretty big job to make that set up work.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHOOCH View Post
So on Friday afternoon a friend of mine was fishing Twin Valley......all good until his motor crapped out, he was out there with his 2 sons. There was a boat that drove right past them as they were waving life jackets and cooler top, the driver looked straight at them and decided it was a inconvience to tow them the 5 minutes back to the launch. I really do hope and don't believe anyone on this forum would neglect another person who is in distress. My other fishing buddy made the drive from Calgary and went and saved them (true friend). My message to the moron who obviously doesn't know the rules or is just chosing to ignore them........KARMA IS A BITCH!!!!!!!
I brought my Dad fishing once a long time ago to LacSteAnne and we were just heading out when we started dragging bottom. We had a small14ft aluminum then so it was no big deal we just had to take the point a little wider. We were watching this guy launch his large inboard type boat then watched him pin in between us and the point we just touched bottom on. We tried to wave to this guy and it was obvious that we were making eye contact but he decided not to slow down and see what we needed or were trying to tell him.
All we could do was watch this pinhead rip his btm leg almost right off. Actually at that point I rather enjoyed watching it. Ironically another small boat came to his aid and towed him in.
Mariners rule buddy Lol.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingReviewsTV View Post
Have to agree with this, was on the water last year with my 4 year old and 2 younger friends. It was 6 pm we were just gonna fish for a couple hrs and hit the hay, we get around the bend and there's a boat dead in the water waving so my friend's say what are we gonna do, stunned I say what the hell do you think help them. pulled their 20 foot ski boat about 1 hr with my little 14' aluminum with a 25 hp motor. They offered money I took none. But for some of these stories with the Jerks i'd ask for funds up front. I was however glad my 4 year old saw what we did cause it sits with him today about how he rescued someone.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:

I've never came across nothing like this before but i'm glad i heard it from you cause i have some ammo if someone trys to pull a stunt like that on me. You offered help with a ride out of a bad situation and thats all you had or even call for help for them on your cell would have been fine to do. You don't have to give them a ride right to their doorstep either. Sounds like you went above and beyond to me, kudos ! Hopefully you will still stop for someone stranded and offer a ride out of harms way .

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 05-13-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
wish i could eyeball it but it is built into the middle of the floor and the only way at it is a bunch of screws and to take off a seat base.

i will be replacing with a whole new gauge, wiring, and sender unit and see what happens.

if i could easily switch to 2 remote tanks in the floor i would go that way for sure but i think it will be a pretty big job to make that set up work.
OK good luck to you buddy.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter79 View Post
Have to agree with this, was on the water last year with my 4 year old and 2 younger friends. It was 6 pm we were just gonna fish for a couple hrs and hit the hay, we get around the bend and there's a boat dead in the water waving so my friend's say what are we gonna do, stunned I say what the hell do you think help them. pulled their 20 foot ski boat about 1 hr with my little 14' aluminum with a 25 hp motor. They offered money I took none. But for some of these stories with the Jerks i'd ask for funds up front. I was however glad my 4 year old saw what we did cause it sits with him today about how he rescued someone.
Good you you, that is how it is done.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Rather than a fuel level gauge, it is recommended to instead get a fuel consumption gauge. You can get both if you wish, but if you were to get just one, I would opt for the latter.

Just a thought. Also, it is good practice to employ the 1/3-1/3-1/3 rule, because sometimes half a tank isn't enough to get home.

As for the rest of the thread:
I find May long to be the absolute worst time for dumb-dumbs to be out on the water. Be it the guy with his brand new shiny boat, or the "seasoned" boatsman. Numerous people can't be bothered in the spring to ensure their equipment is in proper working order, BEFORE heading out. We have all seen them out there, plugging up the launches and docks because, "it worked fine last year"... Even something as simple as ensuring the plug is actually with your boat kit. I can't count the amount of times I have given out a spare plug to help a guy out.

At the end of the day, everyone is out there for the same reason. But it only takes one to sour it for everyone else.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:07 PM

A few years back a buddy and me were on Jackfish Lake and there were some guys from Martin Motorsports test driving a huge $100000 Wakeboard boat, We saw from a distance something was not right, and sure enough we were right.

They had been sitting for a period of time cause people either did not notice or care, and it was 1000 pm and dark. We gave them a tow back to shore and the guy said he was the owner of Martin Motorsports. He basicly said anytime you want something, you come in with my card, speak to me directly and we will fix you up with a smoking deal, wink, wink. Well I have never gone, neither do I plan too. It was nice to be rewarded for doing the right thing.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:25 PM

2yrs ago on Sylvan I had my old 14' out for a cruise w/family. After a nice 2 hr cruise (1.5km from launch) the impeller gives up the ghost.

Wave down over 10 boats between 8pm and 9:30. Not one stopped or offered to help. We paddled for a good 1/2 hr but didn't want to sleep on the lake so overboard I went and tow rope attached I swan her in. Saw a few of the ignorant clowns that passed us by earlier still at the launch. Had I not had my son in tow (literally) I'd of given em all a fine how'd ya do!

Needless to say whatever the reason, I help every time I can period!
Old 05-13-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post
2yrs ago on Sylvan I had my old 14' out for a cruise w/family. After a nice 2 hr cruise (1.5km from launch) the impeller gives up the ghost.

Wave down over 10 boats between 8pm and 9:30. Not one stopped or offered to help. We paddled for a good 1/2 hr but didn't want to sleep on the lake so overboard I went and tow rope attached I swan her in. Saw a few of the ignorant clowns that passed us by earlier still at the launch. Had I not had my son in tow (literally) I'd of given em all a fine how'd ya do!

You can only hope they get into the same situation sometime, but then somebody will help them.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post

Wow, I never thought that common sense and decency was lost. Just wow. Thought boaters generally were a good lot.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:53 PM

I should add that not one "fishing boat" was among the wake boaters who ignored us, not passing judgement on them as a whole but that was my experience that night.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraylingGuy View Post
Rather than a fuel level gauge, it is recommended to instead get a fuel consumption gauge. You can get both if you wish, but if you were to get just one, I would opt for the latter.

Just a thought. Also, it is good practice to employ the 1/3-1/3-1/3 rule, because sometimes half a tank isn't enough to get home.

As for the rest of the thread:
I find May long to be the absolute worst time for dumb-dumbs to be out on the water. Be it the guy with his brand new shiny boat, or the "seasoned" boatsman. Numerous people can't be bothered in the spring to ensure their equipment is in proper working order, BEFORE heading out. We have all seen them out there, plugging up the launches and docks because, "it worked fine last year"... Even something as simple as ensuring the plug is actually with your boat kit. I can't count the amount of times I have given out a spare plug to help a guy out.

At the end of the day, everyone is out there for the same reason. But it only takes one to sour it for everyone else.

Sometimes you have trouble at launch. Every year we hook up the water attachment to the boat water intake, and scare the hell outta the neighbors in the hood with the old Johnson 2 Stroke and I think I'm ready, and then I get to the lake and she don't go for some reason.

Boat edicate? always seem to be missing with some. Like common sense, like don't use the launch to run your boat for 15 minutes because you were too lazy not to do it at home. Don't park in the middle of the launch when its a 2 boat launch. Have your boat ready to go, untarp it, get your giant tube ready while you wait. Be at your vehicle to move up and don't be mad at buddy cause he passed you because you decided to take a leak and you lost your cue in line. Be patient with some dude who has to back up his truck himself, and load the boat himself. Help older ladies into their boat. and my favorite control your kid so he doesn't run behind boats backing up on the launch, this one I don't get period. My kids go straight from the Jeep to the boat, and momma holds there hand the whole way.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:40 PM

I have towed a few boats already. Remember to not go too fast as you can capsize the boat due to unstable pressure on the bow.

Anyone who says you have to tow your boat 36km up river can kiss my butt. I will tow you to shore and then take you back to your vehicle or call for help on my phone. Im nobodies slave unless i want to be.

Have fun. Check it twice.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
Sometimes you have trouble at launch. Every year we hook up the water attachment to the boat water intake, and scare the hell outta the neighbors in the hood with the old Johnson 2 Stroke and I think I'm ready, and then I get to the lake and she don't go for some reason.

Boat edicate? always seem to be missing with some. Like common sense, like don't use the launch to run your boat for 15 minutes because you were too lazy not to do it at home. Don't park in the middle of the launch when its a 2 boat launch. Have your boat ready to go, untarp it, get your giant tube ready while you wait. Be at your vehicle to move up and don't be mad at buddy cause he passed you because you decided to take a leak and you lost your cue in line. Be patient with some dude who has to back up his truck himself, and load the boat himself. Help older ladies into their boat. and my favorite control your kid so he doesn't run behind boats backing up on the launch, this one I don't get period. My kids go straight from the Jeep to the boat, and momma holds there hand the whole way.
Agreed. I get that sometimes stuff happens. But taking care of it at the launch is not the place to do it.

Another favorite of mine is the guy that untarps his boat after he backed down to the launch, rather than when he was waiting in line at the staging area...

Don't forget to take off those transom straps folks.

Be safe out there

Cheers,