Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-16-2008, 05:08 PM

Angry Everyones welcome to an opinion

This piece of trash really got my goat It just proves again that people have no concept of reality. I can't believe this was published by the Echo in Pincher Creek maybe I'm wrong but this is to me a vicious attack on a man who had already endured enough.
http://www.pinchercreekecho.com/Letters/index.html
Old 02-16-2008, 05:48 PM
Banned

This article was published not long after Ken had this accident. At the same time, those of us who trap and all others that take game of any kind, must be aware that there are those people out there, who would like nothing better than to have us all in our back yards all year long. The paper in Pincher, is obligated to print this persons story . Should anyone care to object to her statements--well her name is there . Do what you feel is right...
Old 02-16-2008, 05:58 PM
gopherslayer

She probably thinks Europe's gun control laws are good also...I think it's easy to immigrate to here from there *hint hint*
Old 02-16-2008, 06:19 PM

I guess ignorance and above all stupidity, know no bounds!!!
Old 02-17-2008, 12:54 AM
Banned

That letter conjures up some mixed feelings for me. I've been a hunter almost all my 27 years of life, and I defend my sport every chance I get. I'm obviously pro animal-harvesting, but trapping kinda gets my goat. I'm no authority on the subject by any means, so please feel free to educate me (gently, if at all possible lol). It seems to me that trapping is a pretty slow and painful death, and for this reson, I've avoided it. Personally, I'd much rather kill an animal quickly with a bullet than force it to endure hours or days of slow painful death......but thats just my uneducated opinion....I'd like to hear some more experienced words on the subject fellas......
Old 02-17-2008, 07:28 AM

the situation with the trapper is ironic and in my twisted sense of humor kind of funny... but that lady has her head up her ass.

live by the sword die by the sword
Old 02-17-2008, 07:53 AM

Unfortunately, I would be surprised if there wasn't such a response to the tragic situation the trapper found himself in. Many people think like the writer of the letter.

What's important is whether somebody from the trapping community responds to the letter in a manner that is rational, explaining trapping, trappers and how they contribute to the conservation of animals. Also, as you can see from Mike Hunt's post, humane killing needs to be addressed, even to people who should be supporters.

If the letter goes unanswered, then the lady and animal rightists win the battle.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:26 AM

I to think that some forms of trapping are less than paletable for a person that has desire to see animals treated with some level of compassion. I also know that Cattle penned out side the slaughter house waiting there turn are not without fear as the smell of death wafts through the nostriles, life is in fact cruel. My issue is that humans are still in most cases deserving of respect maybe I just got a little over heated reading the bablings of a ______ whatever! Expressing a perspective that humans are deserving of pain and suffering because they take the lives of animals. With that in mind I hope she chokes on the next piece of chicken she eats or on a defencless soy bean. what ever.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Banned

Default an uneducated opinion

Now here is a statement that IMO is almost as- I'll use the word -bad- as the one published in the Pincher paper. For "an avid hunter" of 27 yrs. to make these kind accusations to do with the expiring time of a trapped animal, is not right. Here we are having now to defend ourselves from elements within. Why do you think so much money has been spent on improving almost all traps being used today ??. To make taking of these animals more humane -that's why !!. I suppose in all these years you've hunted, all your game was cold before it hit the ground.. I doubt that, but at the same time, I believe you tried to make the best shot you could, by not stretching the barrel, having the proper load and all the other factors that come to play.. Well, myself, as a proud trapper, do all I can to dispatch my animals with the best equipment available to me. Sorry for the rant- I'd rather not start out a Sunday morn. by having to read about more untruths on trapping
Old 02-17-2008, 09:35 AM

Well said sourdough doug and very true trapping has changed, my son will finish his course soon and his sets will be very humane, as humane as death can be.

Last edited by Donny Bear; 02-17-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:31 PM

I trap with the best equipment that I can for the quick dispatch of an animal.
Conibear traps dispatch an animal very quickly and all body catches are very humane. My legholds are all soft catch {rubber covered jaws for those that don't know what I'm talking about} that I can and have let critters loose from that are no worse for wear. As for the part where the animal has to wait for me at least I'm coming to do my job. Animals that are wounded either by hunters, automobiles or getting caught in fences etc, do not always get the same fate as when caught in a trap as I seam to find a lot of animals dead and not taken care of.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:59 PM

I could be wrong here but don't conibear and such style traps have to kill with in seconds? And all traps/snares have to be checked everyday or every other day?
Old 02-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Canada is the world leader in trap testing and development. The Fur Institue of Canada has a facility in Vegreville exclusively for this purpose. The use of the old steel-toothed leghold trap are long gone and today studies are ongoing and traps are constantly being tested for their abilities to kill quickly and painlessly at this facility.

Here is a link if anybody is interested: http://www.fur.ca/index-e/trap_resea...r_way#Protocol

Resident trappers are required to check their snares every 24-hours. Registered trappers every 48-hours.

There are many regulations a trapper has to follow to ensure a humane kill. In fact, it is the number one concern of the vast majority of trappers.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:01 PM

Good info Rob. I can't recall which one, but wasn't there an article on that research center a while back in the AO magazine?
Old 02-17-2008, 03:44 PM

Rob if I'm reading my regulations right it is foot hold traps that require 24 hour checks by a resident and 48 hour checks by a registered trapper. A snare is a killing device and doesn't fall under these time lines. Please inform me if I'm wrong. Thankyou.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
Now here is a statement that IMO is almost as- I'll use the word -bad- as the one published in the Pincher paper. For "an avid hunter" of 27 yrs. to make these kind accusations to do with the expiring time of a trapped animal, is not right. Here we are having now to defend ourselves from elements within. Why do you think so much money has been spent on improving almost all traps being used today ??. To make taking of these animals more humane -that's why !!. I suppose in all these years you've hunted, all your game was cold before it hit the ground.. I doubt that, but at the same time, I believe you tried to make the best shot you could, by not stretching the barrel, having the proper load and all the other factors that come to play.. Well, myself, as a proud trapper, do all I can to dispatch my animals with the best equipment available to me. Sorry for the rant- I'd rather not start out a Sunday morn. by having to read about more untruths on trapping

Well.... I was making an effort to try and gather some information without giving any wingnuts a chance to fly off the handle and start slinging mud......I guess I didn't try hard enough

Can you point out these "accusations" you speak of in my post? As far as I can see, I didn't make any, simply asked some questions in as polite and non-confrontational a manner as I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
Why do you think so much money has been spent on improving almost all traps being used today ??.
I wasn't aware that any money had been spent on R&D at all..... one would think that when I said "I'm no authority on the subject by any means,", and "thats just my uneducated opinion....I'd like to hear some more experienced words on the subject fellas...... I made it clear that I am not famaliar with trapping practices. I guess I need to make it even simpler for you guy, so here you go, I'll type slow for you:

I DO NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT TRAPPING AT ALL. PLEASE EDUCATE ME.

I don't think I can make it any simpler for you, if you are still confused, I might suggest seeking some assistance from someone with a stronger grasp on the english language. Any 3rd or fourth grade student should be able to help you out.....
Old 02-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Banned

Thanks for the link Rob, a good read.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Default Ooops!

Sorry pitw, you are correct. Not sure where my head was at... been a long day. If I'm not mistaken, however, we used to have to check our snares in a given time not that long ago. Can anybody else elaborate?

And Mike Hunt is correct. He was asking a valid question and asked to be educated, not eradicated!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
Rob if I'm reading my regulations right it is foot hold traps that require 24 hour checks by a resident and 48 hour checks by a registered trapper. A snare is a killing device and doesn't fall under these time lines. Please inform me if I'm wrong. Thankyou.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Banned

Sorry Mike if I came on to strong. I know that you were asking a question and did not want to be slammed. As I said, you do what is best when it comes to getting your game and at the same time, we as trappers do what we do the best we can. Sometimes the tone of ones comments are hard too hear on the puter . While I'm here-Thx to Rob for for finding a site on the trap testing. Having visited the place in Veg., it's really to bad that more people couldn't se what all happens there.. And Thx to Don as well for mentioning the fact that if no response to the pincher article is given - she wins -. I really hope that the trappers local in the area was able to refute her statement or better yet , that the ATA parent local was able to reply. It would be a sad thing if the torch was dropped... Trappers Ed. should not only be used to improve a trappers knowledge but also that of the public in general -young and old.
My apologies, again to you Mike
Old 02-18-2008, 07:36 AM

Default Interesting

I posted this with my nose being out of joint over the ethics or lack of, that a person who would wish ill against a fellow HUMAN BEING has. I never intended for the post to be about trapping. I trapped as a young fellow only used snares and Coni's the odd drowed set nothing suffer at least not for long. To me Trapping is our heritage and is humane take away the rare jerk.
To me the topic is still about the person who is so blind as to think they are morally superior to another person because they value human health and life less than that of an animal.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:29 AM

Default now

well if you look in the general posting now ken actually had to have his leg amputated so im sending a email to the lady that wrote that right now,
very sad news for sure for one of our trappers.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
well if you look in the general posting now ken actually had to have his leg amputated so im sending a email to the lady that wrote that right now,
very sad news for sure for one of our trappers.
I don't think you will get anything but an uniformed, "save the animals" type of response, 'slinger.
These people operate on knee jerk style of responses.
I had a friend up here quite a few years ago who rolled his argo in the summer.
he didn't hunt or fish, so I guess she wouls feel sympathy for him however.
This will not stop Ken, however, I do not know him well, but know him well enough to know this is a set back not a "show stopper"
Cat
Old 02-18-2008, 11:11 AM

Sad news for sure to bad

Still Cat is most likely right I don't think this deviant __________ will care in the least more likely to celibrate like a terrorist than find compassion. On that I'm out of here I'm just pi$$ed and if you read other letters in the paper we are talking about I doubt they would publish anything without a left bent perspective!
Old 02-19-2008, 10:00 AM

Default everyones welcome to an opinion

Hi Gang. It is not often that I reply to the " letters to the editor" however I did in this case. The reply was to large to post , so I guess we will have to watch the letters section in the Echo.
After reading the posts I see we still have controversy even among ourselves. For those with questions , I suggest they take a trapping course or get more information. Check out the ATA website and if anyone needs some information contact me at the office. Ken is going to make it but I think he is losing a foot. Our prayers go out to him for a speedy recovery. Please keep the posts professional as a lot of folks read them who are not trappers.
Jim
Old 02-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Banned

Default letter to ed.

Thank you Jim for getting off a letter in regards to Ken's accident. I was hoping that you would "pick up the torch" as you are somewhat more diplomatic than some of us, myself included. Is there a place where we can look at your response..For whatever reason, I am not able to bring up the monthly newsletters from the ATA on my puter.
Have a good one Jim..
Old 02-19-2008, 01:12 PM

Mike Hunt,

I'm still not sure I understand, did you say you are an authority on trapping??

It's funny how some guys cruise on here only to attack at the first chance they get.

Pretty funny.

Trev
Old 02-19-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post
To me Trapping is our heritage and is humane take away the rare jerk.
I dunno. It IS ironic. I wish no ill will on the poor trapper. I'm sorry he suffered and hope he will be alright. Don't want to see anyone suffer, man or beast. But trapping isn't part of MY heritage.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:26 PM

otokian Are you Canadian?

this country was explored by fur traders andtrappers and is part of our collective cultural heritage....Since when do we choose our heritage or ancestor's!....Sometime in the past you had to have ancestor's that were trappers!....
Old 02-19-2008, 02:32 PM

Otokian... again trying to split outdoorsmen based on your opinion,

Nothing positive added by you!....yet again!....

An outdoorsman has been in un unfortunate circumstance and someone uses it as a means to sound off against animal harvesting.

Then we have someone who does not recognise once again that because they choose not to harvest animals by that legal methodology that preserves the value of the harvest (pelt, trapping, no holes) has to show their lack of support for a related activity to hunting...

Otokian how do you participate in the outdoors? Do you hunt? Do you fish? I have heard about a lot of what you don't do!....
Old 02-19-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
otokian Are you Canadian?

this country was explored by fur traders andtrappers and is part of our collective cultural heritage....Since when do we choose our heritage or ancestor's!....Sometime in the past you had to have ancestor's that were trappers!....
Nope, I can say with authority that none of my ancestors were trappers in Canada. Slavery existed here too, but I don't acknowledge it as my heritage. And NO, I'm not equating trapping with slavery. Just saying it's not part of my heritage or something I value and support.