Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-09-2011, 09:42 PM

Default 22 Mag or 17 HMR???

Which one? Looking for a plinker, target, gopher, squirrel shooter. Thinking of a left handed thumbhole Savage 17 HMR or lever action Henry in the 22 mag.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:46 PM

For longer ranges, the HMR is the superior cartridge, and the Savage is the superior gun. That being said, I prefer the 17mach2 over either cartridge, due to the much cheaper ammunition.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:47 PM

Personally I love my .17 hmr. I had originally bought a savage and after 500 rounds it had some issues took it back got another one went to the range and it had the same problem, firing pin was to weak kept misfiring serial numbers were like 55 and 57 so figured it was just a bad set of bolts. Got a Marlin and had not problems since.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:53 PM

I have had a Henry 17HMR as well as a Savage and I ended up getting rid of both as I found the 17 very pricy to shoot. I went and bought a nice BL.22. For plinking and doing what your looking for a .22 will fit the bill. The Henry lever was alright I had the golden boy but it's nothing compared to the Browning.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:07 AM

There is only 1 caliber for plinking and the small game you describe and thats a 22. You can't beat $20 for 500 rounds. About the same price you'd pay for 100 of the other shells. Some guys here shoot thousands of rounds every year and you can't do that with either of those others you are considering unless you are independently wealthy. Everyone should have a good .22 in their collection.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:33 AM

I got my .17 HMR left hand Savage about 3 years ago and unless they have changed their line up, a plain old wooden stock is the only option for us lefties. No thumb holes, no laminate available at all. By the way, I love mine, it is a tack driver out 100+ yards, and is awsome on beavers.

Dennis
Old 05-10-2011, 10:20 AM

Definately 17 HMR
providing you already have a .22 LR
Old 05-10-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
I got my .17 HMR left hand Savage about 3 years ago and unless they have changed their line up, a plain old wooden stock is the only option for us lefties. No thumb holes, no laminate available at all. By the way, I love mine, it is a tack driver out 100+ yards, and is awsome on beavers.

Dennis
Savage make a left handed bolt in a thumbhole, laminate, stainless, heavy barrel. I bought one about 2 years ago. It has the accu-trigger too and mine is a really nice shooter with both the 17 and 20gr ammo.

Lefty
Old 05-10-2011, 08:32 PM

.22 is great to 75 yard. At 100 yards the .22 will show it's weakness and have a harder time with groupings and bullet drop. The .17hmr is awesome for a rimfire caliber out to 175 yards and over 200 with some practice. Wind is an issue with the 17hmr. You will get good at reading the wind if you like longer range shots. This is where I understand the 22mag shows it's strength. Not quite as far, but it bucks the wind better, and more terminal energy at long ranges. Terminal energy is not a factor with gophers and crows, but comes into play with larger game like muskrats and beavers. I have no personal experience with the 22mag, just talking with people that have both. If you are looking for single shot exterminations, then a standard barrel will be just fine, but If you plan on some gopher hunts, or paper punching where you will be doing lots of shooting in one session, then I would seriously consider getting a bull barrel. The last thing to consider is ammo cost and availability. Cheap 22 ammo is just that. Cheap, but not consistently accurate. To get good .22 ammo, you are looking at approaching the cost of .17hmr ammo which is a lot more accurate. .22 ammo is available every where, .17hmr ammo is getting more common, and .17hm2 is tough to find except at gun shops.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
The .17hmr is awesome for a rimfire caliber out to 175 yards and over 200 with some practice. Wind is an issue with the 17hmr. You will get good at reading the wind if you like longer range shots. This is where I understand the 22mag shows it's strength. Not quite as far, but it bucks the wind better, and more terminal energy at long ranges.
The 17HMR actually drifts less in the wind than the 22WMR.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 05-10-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:04 PM

Thanks all for your reply's. Put a 17 Savage, thumbhole laminate on hold at WSS now the search is on for a scope. Any suggestions???
Old 05-18-2011, 07:09 AM

More is better I am running a 6-18 bushnell banner on mine

I would consider 4-12 would be absolute minimum.

As for brand, what ever the budget alows.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:03 AM

Try the new Nikon's. Was out with a buddy that put one on his hornet and it was very clear. Cool morning and warmed up fast so the heat waves were bad in my bushnel but the Nikon was not bad at all. Good bang for your buck. He had a 4x12x40 with the side focus witch I like alot better than adjustable objective. That's what I'm going to try.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:17 AM

For a reasonably priced scope, Dantes still has the Elite 3200 5-15x40 on for $277.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:08 PM

You are going to get a lot of opinions here. You need to ask yourself a couple questions to get on track.

What is your budget? This is going to determine the quality of glass and the features you will get with the scope. Beware of cheap scopes with nice features (ie tasco) as the optics really suffer and so will your experience with that nice rifle you just bought. That being said, be realistic about the featured you need. You are putting it on a rimfire shooting from 25-250 yards max.

What style of shooting will you be doing? A 6-24AO scope is great if you are only shooting prone with a bipod or bags, but shooting from any other position where you are supporting the weight of that scope will actually reduce your stability, hense your accuracy. A 5-15 is a nice compromise. You will want to try and get an adjustable objective to allow you to keep everything in focus at close ranges(both the reticule and target).

50mm objective ... IMO irrelevant for a rimfire, and actually worse as your crosshairs will be higher off the barrel, hence more compensation.

There are other factors, but these are a couple of things you need to ask before you can go look. And do just that. Btw, p&d enterprises in Edmonton is a great shop for advise. They only do firearms, and they do it really well. Go in and ask questions. They will be a huge help.

I would look at the sweet 17 scope by BSA. Bullet drop compensation turrets calibrated for the .17. Also the bushnell 5-15X40ao. Mire money, but nicer optics.

Don't forget rings and bases. There is a difference. When the mounts don't work properly, you will have issues that will having you hating your rifle because you won't know what's causing the grief!!!

Good luck and have fun!!! Let us know how you made out.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:30 PM

Budget is not going to be over $250.00. Can't get used to the eye relief on the bushnells and would like to try something a little different. The Nikon seems interesting and the BSA has so many mixed reviews. Nothing bigger than a 40mm. Haven't given much thought to rings either (that is seperate from the scope cost btw).
Thanks for all the advise. Going to check out the local retailers on Friday.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:56 AM

Take a look at the vortex line of scopes. American company, great glass, great service, good prices.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted View Post
Take a look at the vortex line of scopes. American company, great glass, great service, good prices.
Cheapest place to get Vortex optics is the Calgary Archery Center, they sell for less than the Canadian distributor. The don't have a lot in stock but they will order in what ever you want. Very nice scopes for the money in my opinion.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:28 AM

Vortex is my vote. I put a diamondback on my new CZ 22mag and it is a nice piece of glass. Another choice is the Redfield. I recently purchased one and am waiting to put on my 17 mach2
Old 05-20-2011, 04:41 AM

.22mag. no other reason than I'm just not a fan of the .17cals. It just never hit me the same way the .22s did.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:44 PM

Looking at scopes today I think the Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40 gets the nod. Compared it next to the Redfield and liked the glass slightly better. Also checked out the Vortex yesterday and think the Nikon still has the better optiks.
I took a leap of faith and ordered a Pine Ridge 17 hmr tactical in 3-12X40 from Cabelas on Thursday. It was on for 1/2 price. If it doesnt work out there is a 22 in the safe with its name on it.
Put the old faithful Bushnell Banner 22 on the 17 so I can at least go do some shooting tomorrow.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:05 PM

Me and a buddy were out today with our Savage 17HMRs and we popped a gopher at a lasered 257 yards. 20 XTP bullet. Best gopher rig ever !
Old 05-23-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Shooter View Post
Which one? Looking for a plinker, target, gopher, squirrel shooter. Thinking of a left handed thumbhole Savage 17 HMR or lever action Henry in the 22 mag.
I don't know about where you are, but down south here where I dwell, most gophers can be killed with a rock at 25 yards or less. I figure my Ruger 22 mag is total overkill in 99 cases out of 100. Go for the 17 HMR if it makes you feel better, but it won't make any difference to the gophers ... dead is dead.

I get a kick out of all the Yahoos here who try to turn gopher shooting into rocket science ... give yer head a shake boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by decker View Post
I have had a Henry 17HMR as well as a Savage and I ended up getting rid of both as I found the 17 very pricy to shoot. I went and bought a nice BL.22. For plinking and doing what your looking for a .22 will fit the bill. The Henry lever was alright I had the golden boy but it's nothing compared to the Browning.
Amen to that ^

TF
Old 05-23-2011, 04:17 PM

Default 17 hmr

well after just shooting gophers past sat. there were two of us with 22's and one with a 17 , I am out to find /buy a 17 . You can not compare the two calibres. The 17 has more range and from what I saw it is more accurate of a cartrige. Yes some will disagree , but when shooting at longer ranges the 22 is not up to the ranges of a 17.I have 4-22's, and for plinking and short ranges as well as cost the 22 wins.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:03 PM

Just got back from my May Long Gopher Safari....TriggerFinger, you are correct that 'dead is dead' and the gopher can't tell the difference. And you are right that it is silly to make gopher shooting into a science. However, I have pretty much left the Ruger 10/22 to my son now, and shoot my Marlin 917 VSF almost exclusively (except for going for a stroll with the Browning BPS 12 g now and then just for fun and practice). The reason I really enjoy the .17 hmr isn't because it kills 'deader', or much more explosively than a .22, it is because it is just such good practice for longer range shooting. Last year, my longest shot was 167 yrds, lasered. First time out with it. This year, my friend with his Savage .17 and I with the Marlin, were making consistent hits out to 200 yrds, and the long shot for the weekend was pushing 300 for Mark. It took 3 rounds to walk it into the little furry target, but the shot was made. This with wind gusts up to 50 kph. I took a crow at 197 yards, but I thought he was closer and hit him low. He managed to fly up the fenceline and I finished him at 257 yrds. These ranges were all checked with two different laser rangefinders. My most spectacular shot was on a Magpie at 335 yrds...wind blowing strong left to right. Gave him some Kentucky windage (I only use a duplex reticle) and let fly. It struck the fence post he was on, directly below his feet (as seen by friend who was spotting, and we heard it strike). A clean miss, but only by inches, and I have never seen a Magpie fly that fast in my life! Pretty fun stuff. So, shooting little furry creatures at those ranges with a rimfire, while being really fun, is also dandy practice for that longer shot on a fine game animal down the road. That, for me, is where the .17 hmr really shines. And damn, is it ever a fun rifle to play with, my favorite rifle I own by far for out and out plinking.

I did take my Browning BL 22 along this weekend. It never left the case, but it is indeed and excellent rifle.
TC

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-24-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted canuck View Post
I did take my Browning BL 22 along this weekend. It never left the case, but it is indeed and excellent rifle.
TC
I love the BL22, it's a great rifle. Very durable and fun to shoot.

Personally my "varmint" rifle, which can include coyotes etc, is a .22-250. My "gopher" rifle is a 10/22 in .22LR... I'm on the side of not turning gopher shooting into science. Having said that maybe someone who only gets out once or twice a year would want to make it a more special occassion.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post
I love the BL22, it's a great rifle. Very durable and fun to shoot.

Personally my "varmint" rifle, which can include coyotes etc, is a .22-250. My "gopher" rifle is a 10/22 in .22LR... I'm on the side of not turning gopher shooting into science. Having said that maybe someone who only gets out once or twice a year would want to make it a more special occassion.
I just got a .22-250 for coyote, and was thinking of taking it along, but where we shoot there are just too many cattle and farmhouses in the area, that I'm not comfortable with shooting centerfire. Might only be a million in one chance of a round going stray, but not willing to risk it. Another reason I like the .17, the round is going to disintegrate before it goes on a ricochet, but still gives you a pretty long reach! I also love my 10/22, put in a Volquartsan complete lower/trigger, and it's awesome. But still prefer the .17 to anything else for the critters.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-26-2011, 12:07 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post

. . . I get a kick out of all the Yahoos here who try to turn gopher shooting into rocket science ... give yer head a shake boys
No disrespect ment, but I have yet to read here any 'real' evidence to the otherwise.

TF
Old 05-26-2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post
No disrespect ment, but I have yet to read here any 'real' evidence to the otherwise.

TF
A .17 is just a better tool TF.

Shooting is shooting.

Try one for a afternoon if you have a chance and shoot the "further" gophers first and then the 25 yard ones.
Im sure you would enjoy it.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted canuck View Post
I just got a .22-250 for coyote, and was thinking of taking it along, but where we shoot there are just too many cattle and farmhouses in the area, that I'm not comfortable with shooting centerfire. Might only be a million in one chance of a round going stray, but not willing to risk it. Another reason I like the .17, the round is going to disintegrate before it goes on a ricochet, but still gives you a pretty long reach! I also love my 10/22, put in a Volquartsan complete lower/trigger, and it's awesome. But still prefer the .17 to anything else for the critters.
Not trying to hijack the thread, but could you tell me more about the Volquartson trigger? How much money? What were the improvements? Was it worth it?