Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-11-2015, 10:26 AM

Default Hard work pays off....for someone!

Wow, going through the Toronto airport today, crazy prices on coyote fur products! $1000 for a pillow (1/2 coyote)....$2700 for a blanket (6 coyotes)

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 04-11-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:36 AM

Crazy. I remember seeing tanned red fox pelts at Chateau Lake Louise that were priced at 450 bucks. And they sell them all the time to Japanese tourists.
Pretty sad considering the trapper only gets a mere pitance for their efforts.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-11-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Crazy. I remember seeing tanned red fox pelts at Chateau Lake Louise that were priced at 450 bucks. And they sell them all the time to Japanese tourists.
Pretty sad considering the trapper only gets a mere pitance for their efforts.
ya sold labelled fox for 19.50,total BS IMO
Old 04-11-2015, 02:18 PM

Saw those at Christmas when I was going through there, cool little pillows, bit out of my price range though hahah.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:32 PM

would love the canoe!
Old 04-11-2015, 03:15 PM

You know how people fight for the human rights of sweat shop workers?...but the same people would spit in the face of a hard working trapper...

LC
Old 04-12-2015, 05:11 AM

not knocking coyotes. they have very beautiful fur.

but it seems odd(and a bit frustrating) that the hudson bay company would have a display with a canoe and coyote pelts/products.

the HBC didn't come out west in canoes too search/trade for coyote pelts.

many,many very nice articles can be made from beaver. beaver have been in the tank for along time. beaver needs to be promoted more. and what great place to do it. at the airport.

the importance of beaver pelts to the history canada is huge!! it would sure be nice, if beaver fur got more exposure. and became more in demand.

beaver prices suck!!!
Old 04-12-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
You know how people fight for the human rights of sweat shop workers?...but the same people would spit in the face of a hard working trapper...

LC
I am all for expanding the fur industry, but the last time I checked, trappers weren't chained to their traplines. And they aren't little kids...
Old 04-12-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post
I am all for expanding the fur industry, but the last time I checked, trappers weren't chained to their traplines. And they aren't little kids...
True

My comment was more that a lot of people still don't support fur products...or trapping. What trappers make off their pelts is decent but what the fur product producers make (based on these price tags) is better than decent! As long as someone is willing to buy at these sticker prices.

LC
Old 04-12-2015, 08:03 AM
AO Sponsor

Ever hear the one about the poor grain farmer and how much he gets from a loaf of bread?

The coyote canoe? I suspect someone is trying to make money? The industry is just running on this Canada Goose things' coat tails. Beaver will come into fashion again someday.

The cool thing that we have just witnessed and are currently still witnessing is the fact that it is the "in thing" to have a coyote trimmed coat. Ten years ago the same people were all sticking their noses up at fur. Now that fur is acceptable, and the flashiest stuff at that, what will tomorrow bring? I think the stage is being set for fur to really fly in the western world next!
Old 04-12-2015, 08:22 AM

For sure. Its a bit of a tough situation, I think.
On one hand, if fur stays a niche item like it is now, there isn't enough demand, and most of the cost is taken by brand names. But on the other hand, it can't really become a mass produced, because the supply wouldn't have a chance of keeping up. Look at what happened to beaver populations back in the day, and that was to supply only a fraction of the population that exist now.