Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2018, 05:50 PM

Default Mail delivery during sidewalk replacement?

I got home from work today at around 4:00pm and went to check the mail. Open the box and there's just a white piece of paper in there from Canada Post saying they have suspended our mail service indefinitely unless we "remedy" the situation.
The "situation" is that the city has ripped out our sidewalks and are going to install new sidewalks, curbs and repave the road in on our block. A much needed service since our sidewalks, curbs and roads are original and haven't been repaired since the neighbourhood was established eons ago.

Judging by the time it took them from start to finish one block over to do the same thing, I highly doubt ours will be finished before winter.
Does this mean our mail will not be delivered till next spring? The letter also states that they will hold our mail for up to one week "before fees and charges occur".

Funny how the mailman/mailwoman/maleperson/mailbeing had no problem delivering that piece of paper to every house on the block but will not be able to anything else.
It's hardly a dangerous situation for them to deliver in, they normally walk across the lawns and rarely use the front sidewalk anyway.
There was no answer at the number they gave to call but they're certainly gonna get a call from me tomorrow.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:43 PM

You can pick it up at the post office. Just go once a week to pick everything up and you won’t get charged the fee
Old 08-30-2018, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
You can pick it up at the post office. Just go once a week to pick everything up and you won’t get charged the fee
They won't send it to the PO near me, it will be at the depot on 63 ave and 93 st, which is only open from 10:00am-2:00pm.
I'm a little busy working during those hours. Not to mention the many seniors in my neighbourhood that don't drive and are mostly house bound.

When I got in touch with them today the guy said it's a union thing. They're not allowed to go into "construction zones".
Old 08-30-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
They won't send it to the PO near me, it will be at the depot on 63 ave and 93 st, which is only open from 10:00am-2:00pm.
I'm a little busy working during those hours.
Temporary mail forwarding, can you send it to family or a friend?

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:45 AM

Need one of those fancy communal mailboxes that I got. Guess I don’t have to worry about my mail not making it to it and gives me a walk every few days.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:01 PM

My daughter's boyfriend is going through this as well.

Same situation, mail rerouted to an office not near where he lives or U of A. Hours of operation do not meet his availability either.

He's very frustrated and not entirely sure how to handle this (he's a 19y/o kid).
Old 08-31-2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneckin View Post
Need one of those fancy communal mailboxes that I got. Guess I don’t have to worry about my mail not making it to it and gives me a walk every few days.
I spend a great deal of the day at work walking, I really don't need any extra exercise.
I'll pass on the communal mailboxes too.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:59 AM

Do you realize that you are now experiencing the same service almost every rural and small town person in Alberta does.
I don't see it as a big deal.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:41 PM

I don’t believe you guys have issues with Canada Post but more with your city in general taking much too long to complete a simple task. If it’s as bad as you say then forget the issue with just getting the mail think of people that are partially immobile that don’t have a sidewalk that they’ve paid for. This could be the way for CP to push the city to get these issues resolved quicker. Squeaky wheel and all.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Do you realize that you are now experiencing the same service almost every rural and small town person in Alberta does.

I drive 40 kms to get my mail.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2018, 04:18 AM

Quote:
I've never understood why people who get bad service wish others get the same thing.
I've lived in this house for over 20 years and it has had mail delivered to the door since day one. I live near the U of A and my property taxes are significantly higher than most in the city and certainly higher than anyone in a rural/small town area.
With the exception of the people who got screwed over when the post office switched some areas to super boxes and didn't switch them back when that idea didn't work out, everyone that doesn't get mail delivered to their house knew that when they bought the house.
They have no need or right to complain about it and I don't understand the need to wish it upon anyone else.
Envy I suppose...

Instead I wish everyone had their mail delivered to their door. So do everyone I've ever known who was a postal employee.
In case you didn't notice, postal prices didn't go down when jobs and services were cut.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:46 AM

[QUOTE=brslk;3834866]I've never understood why people who get bad service wish others get the same thing.

I'm not wishing bad service on anyone.
I'm wishing that there were less people in this world that have a feeling of entitlement.
To whine about something as trivial as having to travel a short distance to pick up the mail indicates that you better stay in the city because you would be overwhelmed by the challenges that arise with country living.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:03 AM
Banned

When every bill company allows you to receive bills through email,
You only have to worry about junk mail,
To which a well placed sign takes care of.

Only thing in my mailbox is the occasional thing that slips through. Which is rare.

Email handles everything else.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:27 AM

What kills me is like was said they cut across the lawn, they don't use the sidewalk, yet I am supposed to keep the walk in good shape, I need to video the mail person and be ready for them saying they got hurt on sidewalk they don't use.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:55 AM

Exclamation Grow Some Bark !

Old 09-01-2018, 05:42 PM

[QUOTE=Battle Rat;3834874]
Quote:
I've never understood why people who get bad service wish others get the same thing.

I'm not wishing bad service on anyone.
I'm wishing that there were less people in this world that have a feeling of entitlement.
To whine about something as trivial as having to travel a short distance to pick up the mail indicates that you better stay in the city because you would be overwhelmed by the challenges that arise with country living.
Settle down little man, keep your panties unwadded.
You have no idea where I've lived and what I'm capable of.
You just keep on keeping on being the tough wildman that you are... walking to a mailbox.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:43 PM

[QUOTE=brslk;3835062]
Quote:

Settle down little man, keep your panties unwadded.
You have no idea where I've lived and what I'm capable of.
You just keep on keeping on being the tough wildman that you are... walking to a mailbox.
I'm so sorry that I hurt your feelings.
Let's keep it classy, shall we?
Old 09-04-2018, 04:11 AM

[QUOTE=Battle Rat;3835075]
Quote:

I'm so sorry that I hurt your feelings.
Let's keep it classy, shall we?
My feeling weren't hurt in the slightest.
I apologize if I hurt yours.
I'm just gonna stop saying anything on this thread and a moderator can remove it if they wish. I didn't mean for this to turn into what it has.
Gotta remember to not post in a bad mood and especially not to reply to others posts when in a bad mood.
I used to blame my ass-hattery on drinking but it's almost been a couple of years since I quit.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
I drive 40 kms to get my mail.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm lucky, I only have to drive 6. No complaints.

Grizz
Old 09-04-2018, 08:12 AM

Just chalk it up to another union thing, be it the city taking 6 months to put in a sidewalk or postie not having a perfect surface to walk on....